Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I'm ordering a 15-22 Monday. Any advice or things to look out for from those that have used them?

I'm planning on getting a few extra 25 round mags. I've got a cheapo Cabela's dot that I could put on it but I'm open to options for something different....$100 or so?

Anything else? I'm pretty sure standard triggers fit them. What about safeties? An ambi-safety could be useful for this one.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
ARIC

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I prefer the Eotech with the 1 MOA Dot above all others, but for a "el cheapo" model, the Bushnell Trophy TRS-25 Red works damn well for my Colt AR-15 .22. It's the same as Sig outfits their AR-15 Factory models with that are marked Sig instead of Bushnell.
Only drawback is the 3" MOA sized dot. Great for fast shooting & plinking, but not near as precise for aiming when your shooting Varmits at 100 yards.

Here's a link
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/59...r-style-mount-matte?cm_vc=ProductFinding

Last edited by chlinstructor; 07/13/14.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Get the Magpul version so you don't have to change anything out.

Regular triggers fit but you need to use the springs that come on the original trigger. They don't like heavy hammer springs.

Buy lots of mags cause loading at the range sucks.

Get ready to add to the 22 ammo shortage, those things eat a bunch of it. And speaking of ammo, the Federal 550 packs were prefered by my two but stay away from Remington ammo. It even says so in the manual, or used to anyway.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Yep, the boys voted on the FDE Magpul version. And G&R has a lot of mags in stock.

CHL-I'm glad you brought up the TRS-25, I was looking at them last night. 3MOA would be fine for our uses and the price seems right. Did you need a separate mount for it or did you mount it directly to the upper?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I put one of the cheap riser mounts under mine.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Eric,

The Primary Arms Micro Dot is a good one. Pretty much the same thing as the Bushnell mentioned above.

Out of curiosity, where are you picking your 15-22 up at? I'm wanting to pick up an AR-15 in 22LR to SBR here in the near future.

-Dan

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=811034

Shipped today, I'm hoping to get the boys to shooting it next week.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I need riser help.... Is the riser only necessary to co-witness with irons? Because I'm pulling the irons off completely. Without the riser, is it useable?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We had the M&P for our range rental,soon replaced by the Ruger SR22 carbine(10-22)in Motown garb...The Smith would not run with the variety of available ammo.The Ruger is now suppressed and gets run hard. I bought a SR22 myself and it's done well.
just sayin....
A Red Dot worth having... Vortex Strikefire II

Last edited by rifle; 07/16/14.

Come on America,
Athletes and actors are not heroes, only soldiers, airmen,marines and sailors get that respect�and let's add firemen and LEO's

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
What ammo wouldn't run in the M&P?

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Mostly CCI Blaser and the Remington in the plastic tub?

Come on America,
Athletes and actors are not heroes, only soldiers, airmen,marines and sailors get that respect�and let's add firemen and LEO's

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
My M&P 15 runs anything the Grandson put in it. I am running a SWFA riser and some kind of Nikon 3x9 22LR scope of some kind LOL!

We have played out to 300 with it and what a HOOT! Only problem is keeping the boy in ammo. (grin)

Randy

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I have not shot Remington's but I have CCI and Blaser without a single problem. Velocitors, Mini Mag, and Green tags mostly. But have used AR Tactical and Stingers too. I only had one brick of Blaser's but they ran just fine. My M&P didn't shoot the Winchester M-22 that well but they functioned.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
As with any rifle ammo issue exist..but the 10/22-SR22 has been an ammo eating machine.
Any of you boys tried the new Winchester ammo with the TIN bullet?

Come on America,

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
S&W used to state in the manual not to use Remington ammo for some reason but the 2 I had ran everything just fine, once I sent the first one back for the blue springs.

Blue, I would think a riser would be necassary for an adult but it might be fine for a kid.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
are these things just plinkers? I am considering on of the Tac Sol .22's with the light weight barrels, they have an accuracy guarantee, 1/2 inch at 50 yards.

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Yes, the two I had were about as accurate as a standard 10-22 but a whole lot of fun.

As for the 1/2" guarantee, picking the right target ammo might turn any gun into a shooter but sometimes you get lucky with cheap ammo in a good gun. I want a ragged hole at 50 yards with my precision 22's and pay for it with target ammo. I often wonder if the good ammo wouldn't turn the 15-22 into a 1/2" shooter but Federal bulk was what I fed them most cause they ate a bunch of it.

Last edited by TWR; 07/17/14.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
TWR, I run the Fed bulk, i believe its the 550? It shoots good in the 15 but my Cooper JSR same ammo, well its no contest.

Randy

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Federal Champion shoots in my M&P. Don't know about the 550.

Last edited by MontanaCreekHunter; 07/17/14.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
TRS-25 is here, the gun'll be here Monday.

I've gotta say I'm surprised at the TRS. It's much beefier than I expected. There's se heft to it. I ordered it with the riser, but I'm gonna see I it'll work without it. The riser is solid, but the clamp (to the gun's rail) seems kinda cheesy.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
TRS-25 is here, the gun'll be here Monday.

I've gotta say I'm surprised at the TRS. It's much beefier than I expected. There's se heft to it. I ordered it with the riser, but I'm gonna see I it'll work without it. The riser is solid, but the clamp (to the gun's rail) seems kinda cheesy.

You are running the same setup as I am...Great combo for that gun

I agree with a previous post....loading 25 rounds into that magazine SUCKS....I wish someone would come up with a loader that helps, so far its just a plastic sleeve that helps you keep the button down, doesn't make it any easier

You are going to enjoy this gun, it's a blast to shoot....wish I had a suppressor cause I bet it would make it the quietest .22 around

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
-Thomas Jefferson
T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
"You are going to enjoy this gun, it's a blast to shoot....wish I had a suppressor cause I bet it would make it the quietest .22 around"

Nope, it's actually the noisiest 22 I've seen with a can. 10/22's for some reason are quieter but if you want Hollywood quiet, you need a bolt gun.

They are still a very fun and reliable gun.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Took it out for the first time today. I should've bought one of these years ago.

We shot:
-100 rounds of CCI standard velocity and got one malfunction at around round 85 (which was also the 85th round fired).
-50 rounds (2 magazines) of Remington Viper (the manual recommends against Remington ammo) and had a malfunction once in each magazine.
-150 rounds of Blazer without any malfunctions.

This was all dry, I just took it out of the box and shot it.

I definitely needed the riser with the TRS-25. I was looking at the top of the rail without it. Luckily, I ordered the model that had a riser included with it.

68W Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I've wanted one of these for some time. I will be sure to have one when the kids are old enough for me to start thinking about teaching them to manipulate the AR platform. I think between one of these and a full-sized M&P pistol in .22lr it would serve a very good training step in defensive shooting, before shooting 5.56 and 9mm/.40.

I'm under the impression this rifle's controls and ergos are all the same as the AR. True enough??

"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it." Thomas Paine
T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
The only thing different is it's lighter which is a good thing teaching kids.

I will pick up another one when 22 ammo becomes available again, they do like to eat. My stash is dwindling down fast enough as is.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 68W
I'm under the impression this rifle's controls and ergos are all the same as the AR. True enough??

The controls are the same. The ergos are close enough that it isn't an issue. They're significantly lighter, which is great for the kids.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Blue, i checked ammo here. He had some brick and various singles but the cheapest was 6 bucks a box

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
That's OK, thanks for checking. It's that or a bit cheaper here.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
643 members (1234, 257 roberts, 1lessdog, 2500HD, 257Bob, 257 mag, 71 invisible), 2,767 guests, and 1,299 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,648
Posts18,399,130
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.