Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by sjs
Hi Steelhead. Hope I don't offend with this digression.

Started with occasional misfeed with 65gr to 75gr bullets, but I thought it was a break in issue and intend to use 55gr loads anyway. On another thread I went on and on about how much I like this rifle.

I now have over 300 rounds through it and it has gotten worse. Happens usually with the first round, almost always with the last round, and, for some reason, almost never with the 2d, 3d and 4th round.

Working the bolt with some vigor helps but is not a complete fix. It happens with all loads now, even 55gr FMJ. The bolt rides up over the case, sometimes after it starts to push the round out, sometimes before it even moves the round at all.

Partly its the magazine as it can get jammed just trying to load rounds into the magazine. But it may be more than the mag. It happens even when I place a round into the ejection port, resting on the magazine lips. Seems to catch up on the throat.

I ordered a spare magazine from the online Ruger store and I hope that helps when it comes in. After 30 years of owning many different Rugers this is my first problem of any kind.

I like the rifle so much I will keep it even if I can't sort this out and just treat it as a single shot that might work like a repeater now and then. So much for using is as my dangerous game stopper.

Easy fix. Your mag lips are too tight. Open the forward portion of the mag up a little with a Dremel or file.

When this happens...

[Linked Image]

Too tight...

[Linked Image]

Just right....

[Linked Image]

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
BP-B6

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
For reference... Here is a 75 A-Max loaded .010" INTO the lands. You won't be shooting bullets much longer than this...

[Linked Image]

IIRC....the round was loaded at 2.41". It looks as if there is too much space, but that's not the case. There is a slight bevel inside the mag box that can't been seen in the picture. I know there is a minimum of 2.5" of usable mag space. I'll get a max measurement later today...

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
C
cotis Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Rug3
cotis,

358wsm asked the same question above that I have; what is the C.O.A.L?

Could you take a measurement and let us know please?

Thanks
Jim

I just measured the mag using both the factory part and my modification. Factory measures at 2.300", mine measures 2.520". As SAS said, there is a bevel in the front of the mag that shortens the usable length slightly. Additionally, the angle changes slightly on my part so I would be comfortable saying the usable length of my part is 2.500" inches.

My part will not correct magazine feeding issues, that is caused by the front half of the mag.

Rugerdiggs, I would be interested in the compact stainless.

Welcome to TN - patron state of shootin’ stuff
S
sjs Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Thank you much SAS, I will give that a try.

S
sjs Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
That didn't take long. Went a bit farther than you showed, mine ended up measuring .042, but it worked like a charm. Slow, fast or in between it is cycling 5 out of 5 every time. Thank you again. Back to the range for more fun later this week.

IC B2

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
That's why I asked. SAS told me, I opened the mag, voila it feeds like a fat boy at a buffet.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
S
sjs Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Glad you asked. Glad SAS answered. This made my day.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
tag

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
For the record I called Ruger about the problem, they mailed me 2 magazines gratis. New mags are wider.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Steelhead
For the record I called Ruger about the problem, they mailed me 2 magazines gratis. New mags are wider.

Did the same thing with my dads 243 and ruger sent me one new one. I'll open the lips up a bit tonight on the bad one and then I'll have two when somebody buys it. Mine was doing exactly what SAS picture depicted.

IC B3

C
cotis Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Attempted to make some parts tonight. Ended up with 2 good ones and 10 bad ones! Lots of short fills in the mold, still figuring things out. I think the humidity is messing things up some. At this rate it's going to take a while to make the quantity I want....
[Linked Image]

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
You have gotten this far, you'll figure it out. Keep up the good work!

BTW - I have my RAR now, a Predator model. Put a Redfield Battlezone 3x9x42 on it. Haven't shot it yet...too hot to go to the range!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What material did you end up using?

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Any update here? Hello? grin

C
cotis Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
I apologize for the delayed update. I worked on this up until the July 4th weekend then I took a break. I had guests in town and needed to relax. I am currently away on business.

status: I have made about a dozen good shots with another dozen I would classify as "blems" (functional but not perfect). Of this batch I have 4 completely finished. 2 I shipped to a member here who sent me money without me asking. The other 2 I planned on shipping to shortactionsmoker since he has helped me on this from the beginning.
I am currently away on business but I dropped the mold off at my local machine shop to solve some issues that were killing my productivity. I should be good to go when I get back.

Tedthorn-I have had the best luck using PC-ABS material, but I haven't given up on the pa66 glass fill stuff. The small inserts in the mold that kept popping out were killing my process because it takes me a long time to remove them from the part and re-insert them into the mold. I believe this time affects the plastic because it sits there "cooking" instead of being injected. Now that I have this solved I can focus on the temperature and pressure process hopefully.

I have purposely not opened up order-taking as I don't want to be in a position of receiving money and not have inventory to ship out immediately. Rest assured if you have posted or contacted me with an interest in this I have you on my list and will contact you! Thanks, Chaz

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I'd like to be in line for 2 when you get ready to sell some. I admire your hard work and will get a RAR at some point.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I'm in for 4 when available.

David

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I wish you the best of luck but I had a feeling process time would affect mold and resin temperature and cause you headache

Simple PP or PS might be your best bet. This we run by the trainloads and is very forgiving

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
In for 2 also

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Chaz,
Awesome work so far. I'm in for 4 when ready.

Thanks, Tom

Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
646 members (219DW, 257Bob, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 1234, 74 invisible), 2,930 guests, and 1,388 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,670
Posts18,399,440
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.