Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
This was posted in the Alaska forum, but I thought I would mention it here in light of all the threads about guns and bears. Link: Alaska Man Kills 9 Foot Grizzly Breaking Into Home

The blogs after the article include one post by the shooter's son, which says the gun was a High Point and that only one shot connected, to the lungs. Edit: The comment is ambiguous as to whether only one shot hit.

Last edited by Cheyenne; 07/16/14.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
how much alcohol was involved?

Come on America,
Athletes and actors are not heroes, only soldiers, airmen,marines and sailors get that respect�and let's add firemen and LEO's

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
An Indian lady killed one with a .22 short, if it was breaking into my cabin, I would use what I had.. Still doesn't make good sense to rely on a .22 short or .45 auto as bear protection..

Molon Labe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
An Indian lady killed one with a .22 short, if it was breaking into my cabin, I would use what I had.. Still doesn't make good sense to rely on a .22 short or .45 auto as bear protection..
I read an article where an Inuit woman killed one of the largest polar bears ever killed with a .22 rifle. Hid behind a door in the kitchen, when the bear poked its head in the kitchen, she put the muzzle of the rifle in it's ear and shot; dropped like a rock. They reported it was very difficult getting the bear out of the house.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Inuits typically use small calibers for hunting including polar bear. 223, 22-250, 243 are the most popular calibers. There are a few AK's up there too.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
IC B2

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
When the bear saw the High Point it laughed itself to death. The owner who lived in b bear country had to go out to the truck to fetch his gun, this fits the High Point owner profile.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have an acquaintance of mine who has a son stationed in Alaska with the Air Force who uses a Ruger 1911 in .45 ACP for bear protection. Using +P I don't think he's that under gun for close work. Heck, I wouldn't feel under gun with standard velocity .45 ACP for close work.

Not what I would use for serious bear hunting but for close range work it should do.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
If a .45 ACP bullet shot out of a Hi-Point pistol can kill a Grizzly Bear ...

It's just as dead as if shot from a Colt 1911.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I'd venture a guess that the High Point shooter was not using top shelf ammo.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Flanking the bear and connecting on a broadside shot into open lungs is probably a bit less taxing on a bullet than shooting head on into covered vitals. Reckon he still leaves the pistol in the truck at night? I doubt it. smile

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
IC B3

D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by GunGeek
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
I read an article where an Inuit woman killed one of the largest polar bears ever killed with a .22 rifle. Hid behind a door in the kitchen, when the bear poked its head in the kitchen, she put the muzzle of the rifle in it's ear and shot; dropped like a rock. They reported it was very difficult getting the bear out of the house.

I heard a rumor that a San Francisco man named Sheryl killed a Grizzly with a glittered stiletto pump. It was on an internet forum so it must be true.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A few years ago, there were news reports of a hiker in Alaska killing an attacking griz with a 9mm. Doesn't mean we should all rely on the same.....

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by derby_dude
I have an acquaintance of mine who has a son stationed in Alaska with the Air Force who uses a Ruger 1911 in .45 ACP for bear protection. Using +P I don't think he's that under gun for close work. Heck, I wouldn't feel under gun with standard velocity .45 ACP for close work.

Not what I would use for serious bear hunting but for close range work it should do.

Clearly you don't know what your talking about. A 45 APC is only 500 foot pounds and inadequate for grizzles. A 30 06 would work pretty well and the smallest pistol round I would use would be a 44mag with good bullets.

[Linked Image from ]
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by ConradCA

Clearly you don't know what your talking about. A 45 APC is only 500 foot pounds and inadequate for grizzles. A 30 06 would work pretty well and the smallest pistol round I would use would be a 44mag with good bullets.

A hit with a .45ACP is better than a miss with a .44 mag. Certainly a .44 mag is better but if all you have is a .45 ACP I don't think you are under gun if you are close enough. As I said it's not for serious bear hunting.

As was posted above a bear was killed with a 9MM and IIRC it was a Browning Hi-power. Again not for serious bear work but apparently it worked this time at least.

If I'm going to be out in the woods I carry bear spray with my 1911 in .45ACP as back up.

Last edited by derby_dude; 07/17/14.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I don't know how anyone survived in grizzly country before 1956 when armed with only a handgun, not to mention the people who only had homemade stick bows and stone and scrap metal arrow points.

Last edited by Cheyenne; 07/17/14. Reason: add stuff

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ConradCA

Not saying that the 45 acp is proper for big bear protection, but foot lbs of energy has zero to do with killing power. Penetration of a properly constructed bullet in the correct spot will end any bears life.

V
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
Hold my beer and watch this. But in all honesty those 45s have some wallop.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Cheyenne
I don't know how anyone survived in grizzly country before 1956 when armed with only a handgun, not to mention the people who only had homemade stick bows and stone and scrap metal arrow points.

well, they generally didn't get into arguments with bears, unless the whole tribe was with them.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't feel unarmed with a .30-.30 or a 44 mag. or a 10mm or even a .40

but having had a few encounters of the close kind with bears I can't think of a time when I wished I had less gun

course there was that one time I'd have liked to have had any gun

most of the bears I've had run ins with haven't been big bears

only 1 over 9 feet that we surprised each other, scared the crap outa both of us.

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A hit with a .45ACP is better than a miss with a .44 mag.

The guy in the OP missed 6 times

There's no reason anyone would miss more with a 44 if they know how to shoot

Reality is he just got lucky

One shot, one kill........ It saves a lot of ammo!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
792 members (10gaugeman, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 12308300, 78 invisible), 3,080 guests, and 1,276 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,715
Posts18,400,359
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.