Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Savage_99
The Rugers are made in the USA cool

That weatherby is likely made by the japs who started ww2.

Ruger headquarters. Southport, CT USA [Linked Image]

I hope you don't buy anything made in Germany either. wink

GB1

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Savage_99
The Rugers are made in the USA cool

That weatherby is likely made by the japs who started ww2.

Ruger headquarters. Southport, CT USA [Linked Image]

Probably hates all things Italian too.

Anyone else find the signature about slander ironic?

“Lighten up Francis”
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Pretty sure the invasion of Poland came before Pearl Harbour.

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Originally Posted by moosemike

I hope you don't buy anything made in Germany either. wink

Heck he probably wouldn't want a H&H or Rigby because the Brits were impressing our sailors in 1812.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Originally Posted by bobnob17
Pretty sure the invasion of Poland came before Pearl Harbour.

kinda what I was thinking

You will not make peace with the Blue Coats, you are free to go
IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
As a ww2 buff, I would argue that ww2 started with the Japanese invasion of Manchuria not the German invasion of Poland. Now I am the only person I know of that says this but... I like my own little world, they know me well here.

“Lighten up Francis”
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
"The only thing I have against the Howa 1500/Weatherby Vanguard is it not being made in a left-handed version."

I second that emotion.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by micky
As a ww2 buff, I would argue that ww2 started with the Japanese invasion of Manchuria not the German invasion of Poland. Now I am the only person I know of that says this but... I like my own little world, they know me well here.

I almost said the same thing. Although I never could convince myself that it started there, and I always fall back to Sept. '39.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd likely go with the HowaGuard.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
the s2 vanguard would be my first choice only because of their accuracy guarantee. i have a few ruger mk2s which have served me well for years. never owned a weatherby.

IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
I own several Rugers. All are well-made, accurate rifles. In fact, my Rugers and my Pre-64 Winchesters are my favorite rifles.

I have owned a Vanguard S2 in 257Wby. It was a very good rifle, but heavy, and is now owned by a close friend. Personally, I would only purchase another Vanguard if I wanted another inexpensive rifle in a specific cartridge that other makers didn't offer.

Tikkas are as accurate(probably more accurate), lighter, and have a slicker action. They can be had at a similar price point to the Vanguard.

If you are only interested in accuracy, Marlin X rifles, Ruger Americans, and various Savages will get you there at a lower price point.

If the cartridge you want is available in the Ruger, that's the way I'd go.

Those who must raise their voice to get their point across are generally not intelligent enough to do so in any other way.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by SCgman1
"The only thing I have against the Howa 1500/Weatherby Vanguard is it not being made in a left-handed version."

I second that emotion.

My first rifle was a LH Ruger M77 Mk 2 bought new 20 yrs ago. I wanted a Weatherby then but couldn't afford it. I still hunt with it. Last fall I found a LH .257 WBY Lazermark in excellent condition and jumped on it. My Dad tells everybody "that Weatherby is so beautiful he'll never hunt with it". I beg to differ. It was built to hunt. I almost bought a new LH Accumark, but I really wanted wood. I was holding out for a Mark V deluxe and ended up with the Lazermark. I always felt like the Ruger was a perfect fit for me until I shouldered the Weatherby. Now I have a wonderful dilemma. Which rifle will be the backup? The best part of owning nice lefty rifles is nobody ever asks to use one!

Last edited by Bama_Rick; 07/22/14.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Duck Butter...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I second that emotion.
I've heard through the grapevine that you two may not have much to complain about in the not super distant future... laugh

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don't think I can justify another rifle purchase anytime soon, and at my age that may turn out to be ever.

But speaking of Howa, has anyone tried the 1500 howa hogue/Zeiss Terra combo? I saw several offered at the LGS listing at $830, I thought that was a very attractive set-up.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I don't think I can justify another rifle purchase anytime soon, and at my age that may turn out to be ever.

But speaking of Howa, has anyone tried the 1500 howa hogue/Zeiss Terra combo? I saw several offered at the LGS listing at $830, I thought that was a very attractive set-up.

Still would rather have the wally world 700 with the cheap bubble pack scope and rings combo . (insert Sarcasm)

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by pointer

I second that emotion.
I've heard through the grapevine that you two may not have much to complain about in the not super distant future... laugh
If that's true and they can come in at the same price point as their right-handed counterparts, I'll buy at least one.

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.

Originally Posted by safariman
I do tend to fit in well wherever I go in person.

Originally Posted by Fireball2
The campfire is the most outside exposure I get. No TV, no newspaper.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Bricktop
Originally Posted by pointer

I second that emotion.
If that's true and they can come in at the same price point as their right-handed counterparts, I'll buy at least one.
I'm pretty confident the info is reliable. As far as the price, nothing was said. I'm in the same boat, if the price is same/similar my son will be getting two.

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Originally Posted by 338rcm
Originally Posted by Oheremicus
Weatherby rifles are made in California and have been for a while now.
The cheaper Vanguards have a solid rep here for accuracy and reliability. The guy that made my last custom rifle found them excellent. I have personally seen several perform quite well.
That said, I prefer the Ruger action features. Their barrels and rifles have been as good as anyboy's for sometime now. E

Vanguards are and always have been, made in Japan
I would not buy a Hawkeye because I can't stand the safety design, although I like M70 design.

The Vanguards are my current favorite production rifle. I like the fluted bolt styling better than Howa rifles who make them.

I don't care if they are made in Japan, or if they are not "real" Weatherby because I like them better than a MkV.

Their extractors are similiar to modern military rifles, they are rugged and precision machined. Our forum's Mickey Coleman custom riflesmith remarked when he rebarrels a Vanguard they are almost already trued, better than M700's.

My Vanguard has a Timney trigger which is great. That rifle is like a Sako without the ribbed integral scope mounts.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

643 members (1badf350, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 74 invisible), 2,503 guests, and 1,280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,686
Posts18,456,386
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.