Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
twofish Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
So my Lab pup got in a yellow jacket nest in the woods near my house. I would not be as concerned but this is a place he loves to play daily and I do training there too.

Trouble is the nest is under a thick layer (8"+/-) of dead leaves and debris. Because of this I cannot locate the entrance to the nest to eradicate the rat bastids.

My first thought is to wait until after dark tonight and quickly try to remove the debris so I can tell more about the entrance to nest.

Am I gonna get lit up?

Any suggestions appreciated. Also in the past I have seen folks pour gas down the hole and let fumes kill. I know some will cry foul on this. Next step would be something from Home Depot or Southern States.

Thanks,

twofish

*Master of random precision*
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Gas and a rock brother

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You can locate the entrance, just pay attention.

Don't use gas, that can fugg you and the environment up.

Put a screen over opening, add stove fuel (alcohol), and light them up. A good mix of dawn and water out of a hudson will work also if you need to worry about setting the world on fire. Or yellowjacket spray..

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Binoculars or spotting scope and watch where they concentrate and slow down to enter.

Then, your choice of disposal.

Trump HAD the World, ", Trump saw our children, "
Trump saw a way to make a brighter day so he started giving
There was a choice he was making, he was saving our own lives
Its true he made a brighter day for you and me. --Trump WINS 2016
twofish Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I can see within a 2' radius where they come in and out. The hole has to be somewhere below the thick leaves on top. No way to tell exactly where

Should I just rake the stuff back as fast as possible after dark so I have a better chance to see the actual entrance? Hopefully I want get hammered by them doing this???

Don't want to start just pouring gas on top...

Last edited by twofish; 08/02/14.

*Master of random precision*
IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Sevin dust from the garden store works wonders on these varmints, but you have to get it in the entrance hole where they will track it into the nest.

I used a plastic bottle with a spout that I cut back a little to let a bigger puff of the dust out. Gotta leave room for air in the bottle so you can use it to squirt the dust.

Invert the bottle to get the dust in the spout, insert in bee hole and squeeze the bottle.
Obviously this has to be done at night when the bees aren't very active. You only get one quick chance to do this before arousing the bees.
Bee careful!

Myron

How many peckers can a Pecker Checker check if a Pecker Checker could check peckers?
(stolen from shootinurse)
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Screen.

No gas.

Dawn and warm water out of a hudson. Drown the bastards.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Hope your Dog is ok. I got into a nest once and got stung eight times or so on the face. My eyes about swelled shut.

Stay away from the gas, way too many people and kids have been disfigured by tossing a match into poured gas.

I have heard good things about Dawn soap and water mixture as well.

If you can burn them I prefer Diesel.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You don't light the gas! The fumes sink, maybe a capful is all.

Maybe shove a plasic water bottle in the hole and let the BPA's kill em.

Tree Huggers!

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by twofish

My first thought is to wait until after dark tonight and quickly try to remove the debris so I can tell more about the entrance to nest.

Am I gonna get lit up?

twofish

Yep...day or night they'll get ya. Better to do it in the light. Like was said, go slow. Once you get close, you'll know. Back off & go get a lawn chair & a small chunk of raw meat. Throw it on the ground & sit & watch where they go after they leave the meat. Once you have them located come back at night so you get them all in the nest. How you kill em is up to you. If it's not too dry, I'd use fire.

IC B3

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by JohnnyLoco

Tree Huggers!

Too fuggin' funny...

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
If you can't see the entrance hole, AT NIGHT take a leaf rake and rake back the leaves from the entrance zone- next morniing see if you can find the entrance hole-AT NIGHT go back with about 8 oz of gasoline and pour it in the hole-yjs will be finished( do not ignite/ burn)

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by JohnnyLoco

Tree Huggers!

Ha!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Get a can of WD40 and a butane lighter and use it like a flame thrower to burn the debris away from the entrance.

Heck, you may want to hang out in front of the hole all day frying them as they come or go. laugh

Islam is a terrorist organization.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by BarryC
Get a can of WD40 and a butane lighter and use it like a flame thrower to burn the debris away from the entrance.

Heck, you may want to hang out in front of the hole all day frying them as they come or go. laugh

uh....you might want to take a couple of benadryl caps before you try this approach....'bout a 100mg or so should slow down the swelling....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Never had one get past the "Wall of Flame". laugh

Heck, I even do surface-to-air shots. laugh

Islam is a terrorist organization.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
would love to watch that.....from a distance......

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
When I left for the Military some thirty something years back there was a lead gas sniffin ole drunk named Luke Bently. Shook like a leaf and was dumb as a stump. When I rolled through the old homestead a while back, he was alive and everybody else was dead.

Luke is listed as "survived by" in more obituaries than any person I ever heard of laugh
http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=64004170

Gas don't hurt nothing in our short time span, let me get back to frackin...Bye now laugh

Last edited by JohnnyLoco; 08/02/14.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Plateau Hunter
If you can't see the entrance hole, AT NIGHT take a leaf rake and rake back the leaves from the entrance zone- next morniing see if you can find the entrance hole-AT NIGHT go back with about 8 oz of gasoline and pour it in the hole-yjs will be finished( do not ignite/ burn)

^^THIS^^

I did light the gas on fire once when i was a teenager and I did use more gas than I needed and I did almost $hit my pants. Left a hole in the ground big euff to bury a beach ball.

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If it is warm after dark they will light you up good and quick. Dark doesn't mean they cannot see or smell you. Cold is what slows them down while finding the hole.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

564 members (1Longbow, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 1234, 19rabbit52, 12344mag, 52 invisible), 2,041 guests, and 1,118 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,088
Posts18,463,966
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.