Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
No watch for me. There's always a clock around work, and when I'm working outside I can usually tell what time it is quite well enough.

Sometimes take one hunting just so I can prove that I abided by the shooting hours.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
that's why they have cell phones. wink

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by eyeball
$600 to clean my Rolex. To heck with it.

I have an Omega Speedmaster Mk IV that costs about $1,100 every 7-9 years for cleaning and rebuilding plus a Omega Constellation that costs about $1,200 every 10 or so years for the same service. Now I wear a $20 Casio that I throw away every 5 or so years when the battery needs replacement.

The Omegas are kept in a safe deposit box for whatever lies in he future, I wear the Casio daily.

Last edited by djs; 08/05/14.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Every day.

I settled on Citizen Eco Drive or Traser.

A belt, a knife, a time piece, a pen(or pencil), a small tape measure........................

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I have been wearing a Seiko 5 Military every day for about eight years. It started getting bit ratty looking, so I decided to get something just a but flashier. I was set on getting another Seiko, probably an SKX007, until I stumbled across the Invicta Dive Pro.

Yes, its an Invicta..generally considered the trailer trash of the watch world. I did some research, and this seems to be the one model they make that has a good track record. I made sure and got one with the Miyota movement. For under a hundred bucks, why not? So far its been a very good watch, and I have been very impressed.

I wear cheap watches because I beat them up, and stand a very good chance of getting blood, vomit, feces, etc on them. The Invicta, while a cheap watch, still looks respectable, and seems to keep excellent time. If it dies earlier than expected, it will be replaced with another Seiko.

I have a cheap Timex analog quartz on a Nato Strap that I wear hunting, and the Seiko 5 still gets some play when occasionally. Regardless, a watch of some sort is on my wrist from the time I wake till the time I go to sleep, every day.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Quit wearing a wrist watch about 40 years ago. Would sooner or later without fail, ruin it. If it didn't get destroyed with liquid or chemicals or the crystal broken, it would get so scratched you almost couldn't see thru it.
So I began keeping a time piece in my pocket. Did that until I began to carry a cell with a clock.
No reason to carry two things that do the same thing.
So nope, I don't wear a wrist watch.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by RDFinn
I bought the same one about 2-3 years before that and it runs perfectly, only had it cleaned once and I wear it everyday. I don't think I'd cough up the coin for another at today's prices which are about 7-8 times more than I paid back in the day.

[Linked Image]

Here's the original receipt and that was a lot of money back then. No way would I fork out $7-8,000 for a new one; cost me $350 to have it cleaned...... eek If it ever quits running I may have to sell it...... crazy

Retired and Loving It!!
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 257Deland
cost me $350 to have it cleaned...... eek If it ever quits running I may have to sell it...... crazy

Quality aside, those watches were made for people who like to spend money and show it. $350.00 for Bill Gates to clean a watch is less than one of us buying a morning cup of coffee...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by shrapnel
Originally Posted by 257Deland
cost me $350 to have it cleaned...... eek If it ever quits running I may have to sell it...... crazy

Quality aside, those watches were made for people who like to spend money and show it. $350.00 for Bill Gates to clean a watch is less than one of us buying a morning cup of coffee...

Goes to show you how far out of touch you are from reality.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by vairboy
[Linked Image]

We start every brief with a time hack from the naval observatory, so a watch is part of the uniform for me. Besides, what else would you shoot with your hands?

Mr. JStuart- Still have the O&W?

I still have the O & W, it is the M16 version offered by Westcoasttime. I replaced it with a H3 Pro Diver, which I prefer.

Both watches feature Tritium Gas vials, Sapphire crystal, screw down back, and screw down crown.

[Linked Image]

H3

O & W

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by cra1948
Originally Posted by slumlord
Is the Rolex a 'small pee-pee' thing?

Just asking

laugh

Is a Merkel shotgun? Is a Les Baer 1911? Some of us appreciate high quality equipment of the sort that just doesn't let you down and we don't mind paying for it. Others are happy to go to Walmart and shoot a Mossberg.

I got my Rolex 45 years ago this past June. At the time, it was important for me to have a reliable and pretty much indestructible timepiece. It has never let me down. Over the years it's been in and out of salt water too many times to count, it's been exposed to all sorts of chemicals, been through two motorcycle crashes I can remember, been through the reduction rooms at Alcoa and Reynolds where the electromagnetic impulses will wipe out your credit cards and shut down an ordinary watch. It's seen me through two ex-marriages. It's been back for service three times in all those years which is a better track record than any of the motor vehicles I've ever had and they don't keep running 24/7. I look at that watch and it brings back a lot of memories, good, bad and ugly.

But, to each his own.

I wear an Omega Seamaster that I bought in London in 2003, and I feel the same way. I've worn it surfing in South Africa, scuba diving in Australia... it's been to the top of Cradle Mountain in Tasmania, to my first hunt in WY, to my recent hunt in Zululand, to my wedding, birth of my two children, to my military tour in Djibouti. I expect I'll have it through many other memories!

The $350 cleaning fee every 5 years is a PITA, though. I'll give you that! lol.

Eric

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee
Originally Posted by George_in_SD
As a younger man I don't habitually wear a watch. If I'm wearing a suit I wear my only and only watch.

Cell phone is more accurate anyway

That is SOOOO metro-fugging-sexual.

I wear a man's watch, a Seiko dive watch.

Laco 1944
[Linked Image]

Last edited by JeffP; 08/06/14.

Decades of voting for the lesser of two evils has gotten us just that.....
V
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
V
Originally Posted by JSTUART

I still have the O & W, it is the M16 version offered by Westcoasttime. I replaced it with a H3 Pro Diver, which I prefer.

Both watches feature Tritium Gas vials, Sapphire crystal, screw down back, and screw down crown.

Very nice! Solid working man's tools.

I really like the O&W M16. One reason I went with the Hamilton I have now is that it looks so much like the old O&W. You've got the 12 hour bezel, though, which is even better to keep track of a second time zone.

Last edited by vairboy; 08/06/14.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by GunGeek
Rolex is a fantastic watch, but the current price for a new Rolex is about the same as a decent used truck; I just don't have that kind of coin. And these days, a watch is just obsolete by my reckoning. I don't know how long Rolex will hold out, probably always exist in some small way. But just like companies who print hard copy magazines and newspapers; I wouldn't buy stock in Rolex. At best it's a dying industry, at worst it's already dead.

Still, always thought the Rolex Submariner was about as cool a watch as could be had.

Oh really? Check on the wait time for certain models..

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I do have this one, all white gold. It was my grandfathers

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Still saving my pennies for a Submariner. Until then, I generally don't wear one.

LMBH
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]

We start every brief with a time hack from the naval observatory, so a watch is part of the uniform for me. Besides, what else would you shoot with your hands?

I had that exact same watch, a Hamilton King Scuba Automatic, until I lost the damned thing dragging a deer last fall.

[Linked Image]

I've since moved up to a Longines Hydroconquest:

[Linked Image]

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.

Originally Posted by safariman
I do tend to fit in well wherever I go in person.

Originally Posted by Fireball2
The campfire is the most outside exposure I get. No TV, no newspaper.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't wear a watch and never will. Wife bought me a pocket watch but it just sits in a drawer in the kitchen.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
If I do wear one it's on the left arm and face down, opposite of Bricktop's.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
I always have one on, sometimes I really shouldn't. My watches are generally metal band watches because other bands break too easy. But since they are metal bands, weld spatter sticks to the band. My watches look like chit in a short time. face all pitted from burns, weld berries stuck to the watch frame and band. Every now and then I'll get a big ole red hot weld berry stuck between my band and my wrist. They burn in real nice.

Something clever here.

Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

67 members (Akhutr, 10gaugemag, Anaconda, 6MMWASP, AdventureBound, 4 invisible), 1,617 guests, and 789 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,201
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.