Views on this caliber for a short range shot? Winchester Trapper

Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go

Oscar Wilde~~
GB1

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
If you want to limit yourself for the right time and the right shot at the right range....go for it.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Any personal experiences with it?

Oscar Wilde~~
L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
That's a big NO! I'm an out-of-state hunter and in the three trips with limited time,when my shots came one was at 175 yds. for a 5x4, another at 100 yds. for a cow, and the last was at 150 yds. for a 5x5.

I'm not a bow hunter, nor will I place limits on myself waiting for the perfect shot setup but if I had the time and was confident in the hunting location that the elk would be within close range, yes, I would try to use a revolver for myself or you with a limited range carbine.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I have no direct elk killing experience with my 44mag carbine, but I have carried it and will again this year when I'm hunting timber. I don't know exactly what your range limitation is, but I'd be just fine with a 150 yd shot on elk. In my experience on some deer, a fast-handling levergun in 44mag is perfect for this kind of hunting: fast handling/firing, flat trajectory not necessary.

Big bullets out of big calibers don't use the same kind of minimum ft/lbs & velocity for effectiveness at killing game. Expanding or wide flat nose bullets make big holes, and don't rely on speed. I don't think a 300gr slug is required, but you're sure to get an exit on elk with one, unless you shoot 'em in the ass. I'll be using 300gr this year in my Marlin.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
IC B2

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Not the 300, but I have successfully used a Speer 240 gr Semi Jacketed bullet with success for elk. If you appreciate your distance limitations as with any other chambering of this realm, it will work fine.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I have reloaded a couple boxes of hollow points in 240 & 300gr. They were Hornady's which I believe is a reputable bullet. My shots will be limited to 100 yards or less when and if the opportunity presents it self. I would like to be inside dark timber while hunting. Yes, only in a ideal world.

Oscar Wilde~~
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Mine are flat points, not HP in the 240 gr

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I carried the 240 XTP last year in my Marlin, MV about 1780. After a couple experiences with deer, I decided they were plenty tough enough for elk. This year, I'm shooting my cast bullets: the Lee 310wfngc cast from coww and quenched. They are plenty of bullet, even if I do shoot one in the ass, and are the most accurate bullet I've shot in my rifle.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I just think that there is something sacred about elk hunting with a lever gun. I do have several bolt rifles capable of the long distance shots too. Back here in the east a lot of the shots presented to a deer hunter are less then 100 yards unless your looking for longer shots a lever gun is the ticket. Deep woods are not much more then a clear 50 to 60 yards at best, at least in my woods.

Elk being a much larger critter left me wondering about the bullet choices to use and anyone's experiences with the above mentioned.

Last edited by Adk_BackCountry; 08/10/14.

Oscar Wilde~~
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
you put a 300 gr 44 cal bullet in the lungs from a 44 magnum and you will have yourself elk for supper .

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
The bullet companies developed the 300gr 44 slug after the cast SSK version was found to be so effective on EVERYTHING at 44 speeds. Even though the jacketed versions have hollow points, the design isn't required to open to be effective, and generally won't open much at moderate handgun speed. Out of a carbine, your impact speed should be above std handgun MV, and you should see expansion on par with lighter versions at handgun speeds.

I am inheriting a 444, and am looking forward to seeing what it will do with 300's on elk.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
That is a good response.

Last edited by Adk_BackCountry; 08/10/14.

Oscar Wilde~~
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
There ain't no doubt in my mind that a 300 grain .44 Rem Mag round will kill an elk deader than dead. If an arrow can kill elk, your .44 Rem Mag will work. However, as at least another poster indicated, your effective range would be limited. But then again, hunters of yore used to shoot buffalo a long way away with the .45/70 Gov't.

BTW, If I knew that I could kill an elk at my Guide Gun's effective range, I'd take it. There ain't nothin' that walks that the .45/70 Gov't hasn't killed.

If your certain of your distance, I'm certain that a 300 grain .44 Rem Mag bullet will shoot through-and-through any elk's thorax.

�If tyranny and oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy.�
***US President James Madison***
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot
The bullet companies developed the 300gr 44 slug after the cast SSK version was found to be so effective on EVERYTHING at 44 speeds. Even though the jacketed versions have hollow points, the design isn't required to open to be effective, and generally won't open much at moderate handgun speed. Out of a carbine, your impact speed should be above std handgun MV, and you should see expansion on par with lighter versions at handgun speeds.

I am inheriting a 444, and am looking forward to seeing what it will do with 300's on elk.

Hi HuntnShoot,

the .444 Marlin is an excellent cartridge. I know that that cartridge will kill everything in North America.

BTW, if you get a chance, pick up a copy of "40 Years with the .45/70" by Paul Matthews. The .45/70 Gov't is one powerful cartridge. I think that the .444 Marlin ain't too far behind it.

Another BTW, if I had a chance to pick up an original Marlin .444 or .44 Rem Mag, I'd be all over it. My Guide Gun, while an original issue with ported barrel, has a ridiculous safety. My kid's friend has a Marlin .357 Mag sans safety. That's the kind I want.

�If tyranny and oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy.�
***US President James Madison***
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
My reloads came from Hornady reloading for the 44 mag rifle. I believe my f.p.s is greater then the typical f.p.s for handguns. Should be plenty of punch for the elk at closer ranges. Time will tell.

Oscar Wilde~~
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I'd hate to bet my life that at 150 yds a normal bullet in 44 mag would get through more than a shoulder and piece of one lung, though it very well may. Years ago with my Ruger auto I can't remember ever getting an exit on small to medium sized Texas whitetails shot behind the shoulder.

Saddlesore, do you remember if you put any through the shoulder and what penetration you got if you did? Also, do you remember anything about any folks having had a real rough time in finding a bull that had been hit in only one lung?

Last edited by eyeball; 08/10/14.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by eyeball

Saddlesore, do you remember if you put any through the shoulder and what penetration you got if you did? Also, do you remember anything about any folks having had a real rough time in finding a bull that had been hit in only one lung?

I am not a shoulder shooter and I'm pretty picky about what shots I take. I did not get a pass thru with double lung shot. Bullet was under the hide far side.

I have tracked a few one lungers when others have done the shooting. Ditto when the placement was far back in the lungs. Not something I want to do often.

I shoot elk wih a 50 cal ML also,about the same power factor. They die pretty quick if the placement is right. Not so much if you screw up. Muzzle loader hunting makes one take more care in when or how they try to kill an elk. That usually carries over, at least for me, when hunting center fire

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by SansSouci
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot

Hi HuntnShoot,

the .444 Marlin is an excellent cartridge. I know that that cartridge will kill everything in North America.

BTW, if you get a chance, pick up a copy of "40 Years with the .45/70" by Paul Matthews. The .45/70 Gov't is one powerful cartridge. I think that the .444 Marlin ain't too far behind it.

Another BTW, if I had a chance to pick up an original Marlin .444 or .44 Rem Mag, I'd be all over it. My Guide Gun, while an original issue with ported barrel, has a ridiculous safety. My kid's friend has a Marlin .357 Mag sans safety. That's the kind I want.

My dad has a Marlin in 45-70 as well. We haven't decided where it is going. I'd not mind loading for it either.

I think folks in general over-think bullets and loads anymore. I'm sure many elk were killed dead with 200 gr 44-40 slugs in the lungs at whatever range they could be hit over and over again.

The 320 SSK in a handgun killed everything including braining elephants before people really began to grasp the power of the platform. Heavy bullets at moderate speeds make big holes in stuff, and that stuff falls over. Guys with 45-70's knew that 130 years ago.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Adk_BackCountry
Views on this caliber for a short range shot? Winchester Trapper

Go for it. I owned a 94 trapper .44 for a few years. I shot the 300 grain XPT HP over 20 grains of Win 296 seated to the front cannelure and crimped hard. I didn't shoot any elk but it sure worked on deer.

The winchester has a pretty long action, much longer than the Marlin. You might try seating to the rear cannelure and see if they'll cycle. If so, you can probably up the charge a bit. I used to run the 300 grain Speer to the rear (deep) cannelure with 22.5 grains of 296 in Ruger revolvers. Be careful. HP vs SP, jacket thickness, how deep they fit into the powder column, etc all affect pressure.

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

611 members (160user, 12344mag, 007FJ, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 02bfishn, 59 invisible), 2,962 guests, and 1,246 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,347
Posts18,468,810
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.