-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The two I've around and shot quite a bit have terrible triggers. Not sure what a decent smithy can do with them. They are definately kickers for their size.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
they gots purty checkering.....

[Linked Image]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
With a buncha GOOD stuff sprinkled on the deck,NOONE with a clue would saunter towards an 88...................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
I would.

But it wouldn't be for ergos, accuracy, weatherability, consistency or overall dependability.

Sometimes a man can just find interest in a manufacturer's attempts at innovation. I have one of these and I'm well aware of all of it's weaknesses. That doesn't distract from my enjoyment when I'm carrying it in appropriate conditions for mid west white tail. I enjoy hunting with it very much, my reasons are more of a historical connection to US manufacturing evolution, to engineering and marketing risks that were maybe a bit outside the box.

I am personally aware of what exactly it is and what exactly it isn't. There are times and conditions where I sincerely enjoy hunting with mine.

For the same reasons a 1963 401 buick nailhead is cool between the fenders of a 53 chevy 2 dr sports couple.

It's not cool because it's the best you can do. Far from it, the shoebox chevy handles like a wale on a skate board. And the nail head with it's tiny valves is certainly limited for air flow.

But it's cool from the "period correct" hot rodder prospective. The 53 sports coupe was sweet, to this day it's still overlooked by all those that would rush to the Camaro, mustang, "57 chevy" or anything more mainstream. And the nailhead, yeah it's a sucky design as far as airflow. But it was a torque beast with forged steel guts and a monster high lift cam right from the factory. Hot rodders knew this so it got the nod as one of the popular engine swaps for a sporty 2 door jalopy back in the day.

I don't NOT like milestone nostalgia items just because there is something newer, stronger, faster better available today.

Everything you said about the 88 is true. They kick like a mule, the trigger sucks ass, the linkage driven action operates like a car door that has to be jerked open, firing pins are known to break, especially on pre-64 vs post 64.

It isn't always about performance.

They are interesting rifles, and people love the under dog.

If I'm spending what I feel is a good deal of money on a particular hunt that involves out of state travel or some other remarkable conditions such as a once in a lifetime moose tag etc. I would NOT grab this rifle.

But, closer to home, casual effort, low stakes hunt? Yes.

Something clever here.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well said Dave. There is more than one reason to like a particular rifle.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by northern_dave
I would.

But it wouldn't be for ergos, accuracy, weatherability, consistency or overall dependability.

Sometimes a man can just find interest in a manufacturer's attempts at innovation. I have one of these and I'm well aware of all of it's weaknesses. That doesn't distract from my enjoyment when I'm carrying it in appropriate conditions for mid west white tail. I enjoy hunting with it very much, my reasons are more of a historical connection to US manufacturing evolution, to engineering and marketing risks that were maybe a bit outside the box.

I am personally aware of what exactly it is and what exactly it isn't. There are times and conditions where I sincerely enjoy hunting with mine.

For the same reasons a 1963 401 buick nailhead is cool between the fenders of a 53 chevy 2 dr sports couple.

It's not cool because it's the best you can do. Far from it, the shoebox chevy handles like a wale on a skate board. And the nail head with it's tiny valves is certainly limited for air flow.

But it's cool from the "period correct" hot rodder prospective. The 53 sports coupe was sweet, to this day it's still overlooked by all those that would rush to the Camaro, mustang, "57 chevy" or anything more mainstream. And the nailhead, yeah it's a sucky design as far as airflow. But it was a torque beast with forged steel guts and a monster high lift cam right from the factory. Hot rodders knew this so it got the nod as one of the popular engine swaps for a sporty 2 door jalopy back in the day.

I don't NOT like milestone nostalgia items just because there is something newer, stronger, faster better available today.

Everything you said about the 88 is true. They kick like a mule, the trigger sucks ass, the linkage driven action operates like a car door that has to be jerked open, firing pins are known to break, especially on pre-64 vs post 64.

It isn't always about performance.

They are interesting rifles, and people love the under dog.

If I'm spending what I feel is a good deal of money on a particular hunt that involves out of state travel or some other remarkable conditions such as a once in a lifetime moose tag etc. I would NOT grab this rifle.

But, closer to home, casual effort, low stakes hunt? Yes.

Sharing that on Facebook so we can "like" it.......a well penned perspective that few can so eloquently convey.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I see an "I ain't into polishing turds" headed this way. grin

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I like Sleepers more than anyone...but Stupid is never smart.

There's NOTHING redeeming in an 88,from stem to stern,literally by design.............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
I respect your opinion. lol.

Not directly related, but the only lever action that has ever failed me was a BLR.

Short action 81 model in 243.

The action would skip teeth, go out of time and jam open or fail to completely close.

I repaired it, sold it and I'll never hunt with another one after seeing what drives that bolt carrier inside the receiver.

"Delicate" is what comes to mind.

Granted, the core of that issue was a nylon gear bushing that Browning decided to use rather than brass. I could have brought the action to it's full potential with a good bushing. But those tiny gear teeth did not impress me, looked like they belonged in a clock rather than a rifle.

The Winchester 88 is the Renee Zellweger of rifles.

There will always be a handful of Barts out there that need their Renee, even when everybody else if saying "WTF?"

lol!

Something clever here.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
The worst thing about an 88 is it reminds me of the 100.

IC B3

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Yeah I'm sorry but I can't come up with any lustful words for a model 100.

grin

Something clever here.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Never handled one, but that stock looks like there is too much drop for using a scope comfortably. Might be a neat little timber gun to carry with open sights.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Schit happens.................

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Picked up a M100 back in high school with hay bucking money. Never could get the damn thing to cycle well. Finally started shooting a mid pressure load with nickel platted brass using small base dies just to get it to run.

Traded that bitch off to a guy that wanted it anyway.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Stick,

A video tutorial of the LR-BLR is definately needed.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Aint that a bish. crazy

Looks like I'm not the only one with a talent for breaking chit.

Something clever here.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Rogue
Stick,

A video tutorial of the LR-BLR is definately needed.

It'll phuqq with heads.................(grin)

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I break alotta schit and KNOW that,going in...that hard use does wares no favors.

If I had to swap out a nylon gear on a BLR every 20 shots,I'd do that,rather than slum an 88.

But that ain't quite how it goes....................(grin)

M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Big Stick
Schit happens.................

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Looks like it belongs in the garden.. Holding up the tomatoes.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
Never handled one, but that stock looks like there is too much drop for using a scope comfortably. Might be a neat little timber gun to carry with open sights.

Keep the tube low and it lines up well enough for me.

[Linked Image]

But I'm one of those silly jarheads that fits himself to the weapon, instead of the other way around.

Like them tip offs? Lol... very "swiss army" period correct gadgetry.

grin

Something clever here.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

702 members (12344mag, 1234, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 10gaugemag, 72 invisible), 3,026 guests, and 1,244 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,267
Posts18,467,209
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.