Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
As soon as he started calling you names, he confirmed you did the right thing.

GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Snyper
If you don't have the cash to pay for a gun, you shouldn't be buying one to begin with.

One makes payments on necessities, not toys

One minds his own business, not other people's.

R H, just the simple fact that you are wondering whether you did the right hing speaks volumes IMHO.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I feel you did the wise thing to "back away" from the "deal".

You and the seller "made-a-deal" that you would buy the gun from HIM and pay HIM off in 4 monthly payments after paying HALF down on the deal. At that point, NOTHING was said about paying the money to his WIFE.

The SELLER "changed" the deal by NOT wanting you to pay HIM the money but, instead, wanted you to pay the money to his WIFE.

THAT WASN'T THE ORIGINAL DEAL.. since the original deal was that it was ASSUMED the money would be paid to him, and not corrected by the seller at ANY time up to when he SUDDENLY told you, after the agreement was made, that you were to pay the money TO HIS WIFE !!!

Since the buyer CHANGED the parameters of the verbal contract you and he made together, you are NOT wrong to re-think and change YOUR mind as well... and this is what you finally did.

Therefore, you should NOT feel as if you lied or cheated anyone... you merely decided that something SEEMED wrong and decided NOT to allow this man to cause you TO BE A PARTY TO A deal that might be somehow ILLEGAL OR FRAUDULENT IN ANY WAY !!!

Therefore, you had EVERY RIGHT to refuse to continue this "deal"... and should NOT feel, in ANY way, you were wrong to refuse to carry the deal through to it's conclusion.

Jus' my 2�... smile

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

It's smart to hang around old guys 'cause they know lotsa stuff...

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
Originally Posted by ironbender
Not an accusation of any kind, RH. Apologies if that's how it came across.

These opinions are based on the info you provided and have nothing else to go on, didn't listen to your conversation (but the NSA recorded it), and didn't talk to the seller.

No offense taken at all. I still think he is likely an honest man. I just wanted to know if others would have been as cautious and suspicious as I was in this deal.

Verify that,...make him an offer to buy his wife. Offer say an old '94 missing it's mag tube, a pret' near full brick of 22 LR, and a case of Spam or Spork.

That should get both of ya' lined out and into ethical dialogue.

You can thank me later.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Is he a campfire member? whistle

"The 375HH is the greatest level of power you can get for the investment in recoil." (JJHack)
79s and losttrail, biggest waste of air.
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Everything I said is exactly what happened. I apologized in the nicest way I knew about not doing the deal. Now he is mad and calling me names.

There it is, the guy is unstable.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I wouldn't sweat it in the least.

Was he looking to trade for a 17" laptop as part of the deal? smile

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by SKane
I wouldn't sweat it in the least.

Was he looking to trade for a 17" laptop as part of the deal? smile

grin

"The 375HH is the greatest level of power you can get for the investment in recoil." (JJHack)
79s and losttrail, biggest waste of air.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don't think you broke your word. After you agreed to buy the gun he then changed/modified the agreement by insisting the payment be made to his wife. At that point it was up to you to accept the condition or not. You chose not to accept it so no agreement was made after that.

Quit worrying about it.

Just wondering if you ever saw the rifle or just had his description and word that he owned it? Does the rifle even exist?

Last edited by MColeman; 09/03/14.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you have to think twice about doing something, you probably shouldn't do it.

[Linked Image]
IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Just cause you paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you!

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I would have never made that deal with a stranger from the onset . I don't trust easy, especially when there is money involved.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Thanks everyone for confirming that I am more gullible than paranoid.LOL

C
CLB Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by ironbender

He said he spends so much on guns and such that he wanted her to get the money when he sells one.

BS. He could just sell it and buy the wife what she wants or give her the money to play with.

Something ain't right, based on the info you provided.

Everything I said is exactly what happened. I apologized in the nicest way I knew about not doing the deal. Now he is mad and calling me names.

He introduced a variable that raised a red flag. You did good by following your gut feeling.
At this point, I'd simply tell him GFY...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You did right. I had a recent armslist transaction where the seller kept refusing to give me the serial number prior to me sending payment. He kept asking why I wanted it. Twice I told him I needed it so I could verify that the firearm shipped and received was the same one he was offering for sale.

He seemed to think that made ME a questionable buyer. I backed out. A few days later, he asked if I would send the payment directly to his FFL. I said I would if he dropped the firearm off at the FFL. I called the FFL, asked him to email the serial number and then sent to payment to the FFL with instruction on my FFL.

He still thinks I never got the serial number prior to sending the funds.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

64 members (2500HD, 7mm_Loco, 808outdoors, Akpilot, 338reddog, 257_X_50, 8 invisible), 1,193 guests, and 755 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,718
Posts18,457,119
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.