Print Thread
Hop To
M
maggie Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Back up to AK May 2015, mostly sight-seeing with friends, staying a couple of nights on Kenai Lake. Been there, but never fished it, sounds like there's lakers, bows, and dollys. Anybody with experience fishing from shore? Not meat hunting, just recreational, appreciate any info. Web searches just turn up Kenai river, different ball game. Thanks.

"The day I went to work everybody showed up to watch Johnny Luster work. Well, they had a wheelbarrow there, and said I was to push that thing around all day. I looked at it, then turned around and headed for the mountians..."
BP-B2

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
A bit of bottom bait soaked by night often turns up a laker.

I see a lot of folks fishing the outlet with spinners and flies, whether wet or dry I don't know.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Stayed at the Kenai Lake cabins (now something else) and they told me I should fish it for Lakers as their kids had caught a few. Rigged up a bottom bait set-up and fished salmon roe. It was a bit slow, but still beautiful scenery to take up the slack time. Caught a 5lb laker the time I fished the lake. Would bet late evening/night time would be the best time. I fished daytime while my filets were on the smoker.

Their kids laughed at me and showed me pics of their 15+ pounders. wink

Dave
Sticks and stones may break my bones ... but hollow-points expand on impact.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I have 2 canoes, paddles, and PFDs, if you'd like to use them.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
M
maggie Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Thanks Bender, have to see if we can figure out a way to take you up on your offer, sure would like to. Thinking that somehow this is going to cost me more beer...:)

"The day I went to work everybody showed up to watch Johnny Luster work. Well, they had a wheelbarrow there, and said I was to push that thing around all day. I looked at it, then turned around and headed for the mountians..."
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If I had a car and someone loaned me a canoe, I head towards Stirling and paddle out from Watson lake back to Afonasi and enjoy some wonderful rainbow fishing. Might be a little early in May depending on if the lakes have iced out, but one of my favorite spots off the road system.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Coming from Kenai towards Anchorage on the Sterling Highway, turn off at the Sunrise Inn and follow the gravel road down to where Quartz Creek dumps into Kenai Lake. If you have chest waders, you can wade out to the drop-off, or, if you can get Mike's canoe, you can put in there and fish the edge of the drop-off.

When I say "drop-off" I mean it's like the Continental Shelf. It goes from a couple of feet to 60+ feet deep right now!

We've caught some impressive Lakers, Dollies, Rainbows, and Silvers there.

I hope you have a wonderful time and catch so many fish you get tired of fishing. grin

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Just tried it last week and did not get squat bead fishing what worked for you Ed. I have never had any success with lake trout fishing Kenai LK. I am all ears heading out tomorrow for Kenai LK for my Sheep Permit again Biologist said he did not see a legal Ram this year in DS 156 survey.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by kk alaska
Just tried it last week and did not get squat bead fishing what worked for you Ed. I have never had any success with lake trout fishing Kenai LK. I am all ears heading out tomorrow for Kenai LK for my Sheep Permit again Biologist said he did not see a legal Ram this year in DS 156 survey.

Flesh flies, Wooly Buggers, soaking eggs, "Greased Liner" fly, Small Mepps spinner with foxtail (Size 0 with silver blade IIRC), and sculpin imitations all worked for me there.
I hooked a lake trout at that spot one New Years Day that stripped every bit of line off of my fly rod and well into the backing before the line snapped. I saw the fish once as it was hanging around the edge of the fresh water coming out of Quartz Creek. I was using a flesh fly tied on a #6 hook, 10lb leader, and dead drifting the fly with the current.
I've caught some nice silvers there this time of year on Purple Zonkers and flesh colored Wooly Buggers. Did OK with Rainbows there dead drifting "Greased Liners" and single egg imitations, too.

I hope you get your sheep. I LOVE Dall's Sheep! grin

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

U
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
U
I'm glad this thread resurfaced. I recently bought a place in the area and will be looking for places to take my kids that are relatively easy to fish.

IC B3

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Mark, Cooper lake has great trout fishing above Kenai Lake, lots of lakes between there and Sterling.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
700 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 11point, 10Glocks, 160user, 117LBS, 87 invisible), 2,733 guests, and 1,302 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,695
Posts18,399,872
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.