24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 14
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Feel free to step right in and show them how..

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
BP-B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
They have made things more rugged--but it's impossible to make lightweight scopes more rugged than scopes beefed up in the right places. A Leupold 6x36 is pretty tough, but not as tough as a 6x SWFA, even when both cost $300.

The new book is titled MODERN HUNTING OPTICS, and will be available from Deep Creek Press, www.riflesandrecipes.com.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
RDFinn Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Guess we can look forward to another 30 years of misquoting info from the new Hunting Optics Book as well.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
All right, I'm sold. I'll take a sample SWFA in 10x to test against my Leupies. I'll wring it out thoroughly, and get back to you in 20 years or so.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by Robert_White
New book on optics? Title?

IIRC... from some of your magazine articles scopes are getting way better in recent years????????????

Where is the light weight hold-zero-and-track, 300 $ scope?

You would think these scope makers would get a clue and make things more rugged.

There is no free lunch. However scopes could be A LOT better at what scopes are supposed to do- hold an aiming point consistently and adjust correctly every time. But we will never see that because very few actually shoot. Even here with a board full of aficianados all anyone crows about is "glass". One of the least important attributes of modern scopes. But it is "seen" by every singe dude who doesn't shoot. People buy scopes (and rifles) so they can pull it out of the safe and brag to their buddies about the "glass".... To "see" zero retention, tracking, correct and consistent adjustments when actually used would require people to go and shoot, which would lead to worn out barrels and rifles that don't look brand new.

In other news.... Last week two 3-9x42mm SS's went through just shy of 2,000 rounds on top of Recce's, with 99% of those rounds being dialed. Will check zero on both tomorrow, however they were still zeroed as of midday on Friday. As expected here were no weird calls or unexplained shots the whole week. To be fair a Bushnell 3-12x LRHS performed correctly for a few hundred rounds as well as a couple NF's and a Leupold 10x40 M3.

IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Have you been able to torture test and break any of the Weavers with the micro-trac system?

Done in Convention by the Unanimous Consent of the States present the Seventeenth Day of September in the Year of our Lord one thousand seven hundred and Eighty seven.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
They have made things more rugged--but it's impossible to make lightweight scopes more rugged than scopes beefed up in the right places. A Leupold 6x36 is pretty tough, but not as tough as a 6x SWFA, even when both cost $300.

The new book is titled MODERN HUNTING OPTICS, and will be available from Deep Creek Press, www.riflesandrecipes.com.

Yep, the trade off is weight. I'm a 6x fan. I like to dial. ...and...I like light weight. The past couple of years I'm becoming a bigger fan of the simple long range duplex in a fixed scope for hunting. It's not as precise as dialing but for hunting ranges once you verify "the dot to the where" they are quick and efficient. Again, I like to dial and have no intentions of stopping, but a simple lrd in a fixed scope has a lot going for it in a rugged package for hunting.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Formidilosus

There is no free lunch. However scopes could be A LOT better at what scopes are supposed to do- hold an aiming point consistently and adjust correctly every time. But we will never see that because very few actually shoot. Even here with a board full of aficianados all anyone crows about is "glass". One of the least important attributes of modern scopes. But it is "seen" by every singe dude who doesn't shoot. People buy scopes (and rifles) so they can pull it out of the safe and brag to their buddies about the "glass".... To "see" zero retention, tracking, correct and consistent adjustments when actually used would require people to go and shoot, which would lead to worn out barrels and rifles that don't look brand new.

I always get a kick out of this "very few actually shoot" mentality, and that those "who don't shoot" are bottom feeding idiots.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that "those that shoot" are a very minute part of the big game hunting population, therefore most diehard big game hunters are not "shooters". Would you buy that? I'd go so far as to say that 95% of big game hunters (myself included) are more of a set it and forget type turret/scope guy, and they get along quite well in the field by doing so. I've only had one scope lose zero in over 40 years of hunting.

If your world of "shooters" is strictly a tactical one, then fine. But to classify everyone who "doesn't shoot" as a bunch of bumbling fools is, well, foolish on your part. I'm beginning to think the only thing bigger than BS's mouth is your ego.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by JGRaider

I'd go so far as to say that 95% of big game hunters (myself included) are more of a set it and forget type turret/scope guy, and they get along quite well in the field by doing so. I've only had one scope lose zero in over 40 years of hunting.

I think you just proved his point...

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
So "set and forget" is a bad thing?

IC B3

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Never saw anybody type that.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
RDFinn Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Robert_White
New book on optics? Title?

IIRC... from some of your magazine articles scopes are getting way better in recent years????????????

Where is the light weight hold-zero-and-track, 300 $ scope?

You would think these scope makers would get a clue and make things more rugged.

You know, this may sound bizarre, but manufacturers of consumables are in business to make money and they also have a pretty good idea of how long a product will last given how much use it is likely to see use. Would it be nice to see a $300 scope last a lifetime ? Sure. A toaster oven last a 100 years ? Of course. My point, it is unlikely we will ever see any of those things because there isn't a big enough demand for them. The SWFA, IMO, is sort of a jewel so to speak, because Chris buys factory direct, doesn't have huge advertising costs (compared to others) and the product sells itself. I remember Chris saying that he would raise the cost per scope before he compromised the quality.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
The most experienced big game hunter I know is a set-and-forget guy. I don't know how many big game animals he's killed but it's probably well over 1000 and may be closer to twice as many. That's not much compared to some who shoot commercially for meat or eradication, but it's a lot, especially when almost all of his hunting is for trophies.

He prefers a multi-point reticle, which he considers plenty for most big game since (as another friend of mine once pointed out) all you really have to do to kill big game is hit a volleyball-sized target. He doesn't shoot much beyond 600 yards, but out to 600 he is deadly. He prefers using a reticle because he's seen even some very repeatable scopes not be when it's below zero, and he also hunts a lot of high altitude where his rifle/scope (and everything else he carries) needs to be as light as possible.

While he doesn't shoot as much as some people, because he's out hunting far more than some people, he shoots more than enough to be very practiced with the system he's chosen. I'm not saying he's right or wrong, but he's killed more trophy big game animals than all but a handful of the hunters in the world, including those who post on the Campfire.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Mule Deer, what is his scope and reticle of choice?

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
The most experienced big game hunter I know is a set-and-forget guy. I don't know how many big game animals he's killed but it's probably well over 1000 and may be closer to twice as many.

While he doesn't shoot as much as some people, because he's out hunting far more than some people, he shoots more than enough to be very practiced with the system he's chosen. I'm not saying he's right or wrong, but he's killed more trophy big game animals than all but a handful of the hunters in the world, including those who post on the Campfire.

With all the "guys that really shoot" here on the 'fire, I, quite frankly, find that hard to believe...... wink

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ctsmith
Mule Deer, what is his scope and reticle of choice?

I also would like to know so I could try one out.

Molan Labe
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
He uses various scopes on different rifles.

John Steinbeck
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Come on John, spill the beans. Name one!

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by JGRaider

I always get a kick out of this "very few actually shoot" mentality, and that those "who don't shoot" are bottom feeding idiots.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that "those that shoot" are a very minute part of the big game hunting population, therefore most diehard big game hunters are not "shooters". Would you buy that? I'd go so far as to say that 95% of big game hunters (myself included) are more of a set it and forget type turret/scope guy, and they get along quite well in the field by doing so. I've only had one scope lose zero in over 40 years of hunting.

If your world of "shooters" is strictly a tactical one, then fine. But to classify everyone who "doesn't shoot" as a bunch of bumbling fools is, well, foolish on your part. I'm beginning to think the only thing bigger than BS's mouth is your ego.

Let me see if I follow..... I have an ego because a guy asks why normal lightweight scopes aren't better at holding zero and tracking, I state the reason- that being that the vast majority "look" at glass, not actually shoot it to see if it works, you agree that a "minute" part part of hunters actually shoot, going so far as to put a number to it (95%)... And that means that I'm the one with an ego problem...?

Is that about right?

Forgive me if I could give two flying flips what dudes who shoot less rounds in a year than I, and those I work with shoot most mornings before breakfast, thinks they "know" about scopes.

There is nothing wrong with set and forget, or BDC reticles, etc. But there is a better way. Not because I say so, but because targets and a timer don't lie.

If those "die hard big game hunters" want to talk to me about finding those "exceptional" animals, I'm all ears. But those "95%" of hunters trying to "talk" actually using that gun, is akin to me trying to "tell" you all about those Texas scrub brush Muley's.

The afore mention SS's several thousand rounds later and no shortage of unkind handling...
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S

MD, will you be posting a note here when it's ready to ship?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Page 4 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 14

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
729 members (204guy, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 16penny, 77 invisible), 2,963 guests, and 1,296 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,767
Posts18,401,467
Members73,823
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.