Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
8 grains of Unique with a 240gr Keith style cast semi-wadcutter is my go to .44 "lite" load. It's also very accurate in all of my .44 mag revolvers.

^^^^

This. Exactly.

Another vote for this load. Testing has already been done for you. It is the "sweet spot".

Use any primers you have, but the standards will have less leading using the lead based bullets. (slightly less)

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Well if you run out of unique, dont fear, roll some ammo up with the 2400. That stuff shoots awesome accurate with 240 grain XTPs in my 9.5" SRH.

Eat moose, burn spruce
G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Pittu
Well if you run out of unique, dont fear, roll some ammo up with the 2400. That stuff shoots awesome accurate with 240 grain XTPs in my 9.5" SRH.

Great powder for the 44 mag for hotter loads. Not so much for reduced loads.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Find you some Trail Boss and load 8 grains under a 240 grain SWC bullet. Runs 850fps from my 4 inch 44 Mag and recoil is mild.

Jerry

Christopher Columbus, the greatest Democrat of them all.

He left not knowing where he was going, and when he got there he did not know where he was. He returned not knowing where he had been, and did it all on someone else's money.
D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by leomort
Brand new to reloading. So this probably going to sound like a really stupid questions.

I'm look at reloading my 44 Magnum but what to start at 44 special levels for recoil reasons. However, looking at the 44mag reloading books, I'd have to go under the minimum starting load.

Does the mean, I need to by 44spec brass?

Or can I use 44mag brass and just use 44spec load quantities and be safe?

Thank you for your help!

Just one thing - why do you want to shoot 44Minimum? Why not shoot 44 mag loads?

I don't understand why guys buy a big, hairy, he-man 44 mag and then shooter poofter loads through it. I think you're better off either learning to shoot it at its potential or selling it and getting something with less buck and roar.

IC B2

leomort Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
dla,

That's where I'm trying to build my self up to. Start off with mouse fart loads, then work my way up to the bigger stuff.

However many of the 44mag aficionado who have much more experience than me, advise that one doesn't need to run the 44mag full tilt to be effective.

I believe in essence this is due to bigger "cork" in the bottle type situation. But I can open to correction on that point.

However, yes. If I can't work myself up to larger, heavier recoiling load the 44mag will go down the road.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by dla
Just one thing - why do you want to shoot 44Minimum? Why not shoot 44 mag loads?

I don't understand why guys buy a big, hairy, he-man 44 mag and then shooter poofter loads through it. I think you're better off either learning to shoot it at its potential or selling it and getting something with less buck and roar.

I don't always shoot max loads because I do not have to do so to have the revolver give me the performance I want in certain situations. Low power loads are sometimes more useful than max loads. I do have plenty of lower power handguns but would generally prefer to switch ammo than to switch handguns when situations change.

I had an old Mercedes back in the 1960's that would do over 140 MPH. I know that from personal experience. I did not, however, always drive 140 MPH in that car even though I knew I could.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
dla,
The great thing about reloading is that you can customize your loads to satisfy your needs. I shoot reduced loads in my 44 magnums probably 90% of the time, but I have the option to shoot full power loads should the need or desire to do so arises. In all honesty, shooting is a fun sport, and I don't understand why anyone would want to shoot full power rounds at rabbits or tin cans. There is much value, however, to using the same handgun for both type of loads.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There are few critters that won't succumb to a properly placed 240-270 gr cast bullet under 10 gr of unique clocking ~1000 fps at the muzzle. They are not powder puff loads, just good solid accurate working loads.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Asked the same question a while back and got the trail boss recommendation so I tried it with 240 gr lead... It a good accurate load. And pretty mild recoil...

IC B3

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by lastround
dla,
The great thing about reloading is that you can customize your loads to satisfy your needs. I shoot reduced loads in my 44 magnums probably 90% of the time, but I have the option to shoot full power loads should the need or desire to do so arises. In all honesty, shooting is a fun sport, and I don't understand why anyone would want to shoot full power rounds at rabbits or tin cans. There is much value, however, to using the same handgun for both type of loads.

There is much truth to this.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by dla
Brand new to reloading. So this probably going to sound like a really stupid questions.

I'm look at reloading my 44 Magnum but what to start at 44 special levels for recoil reasons. However, looking at the 44mag reloading books, I'd have to go under the minimum starting load.

Thank you for your help!

once again DLA, your lack of handgun hunting experience shows. Thats the beauty of hardcast, you don't have to drive them to mach speed to kill game. I enjoy reading the posts to show what you really are, after all the chit you talk on here and else where.

Last edited by gunchamp; 09/10/14.
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by dla

Thank you for your help!

I agree you, you don't understand.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Thank you for your help!
You do have some options. Most have been stated here in the previous posts. The easy way is to just use 44 special loads and brass. There are many light loads for the 44 mag too, as well as trail boss loads. Practice with the easy stuff and work your way up to a comfortable level. It doesn't take 3000 fps in a handgun to effectively kill game. Find a good bullet, accurate load and put it in the right spot. Its really that easy.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Leo,

The beauty of the .44 magnum, as well as that of the .41 magnum and the 45 Colt, is this; what else could you shoot that gives you all the options that have been described on this thread? The option of shooting "poofter" loads as well as "big, hairy magnum" loads is yours, and yours alone. The other great thing is, no matter what load you choose, in most cases you will be shooting with some of the premier handguns ever made.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by dla

It is infinitely better use lighter loads to learn the basics and familiarize with the weapon than start with all the smoke, fire & jello and thus learn little but how to flinch with real distinction.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by lastround
Yep, 8.0 to 8.5 grains of Unique in magnum brass will push a 240/250 gr. bullet to 900 to 950 fps. depending on barrel length and whether or not a jacketed or cast bullet is used. This is a very comfortable load to shoot.

Yep. I have been using 8.5 grains of Unique behind a 245 grains cast bullet for years, both in my Ruger S.B.H and S&W 29. Easy on the wrist and hits plenty hard on targets.

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
The new Unique seems to burn a little cleaner than the original.

Fantastic powder.

leomort Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Where can I get load data for hard cast bullets?

Is lyman the better one for hard cast?

Seems like hodgdon, speer, etc are mostly for soft cast lead.

Also, are there any potential issues using hard cast at low/modest velocity?

For example, read don't push soft cast lead bullets over 1,000 fps.

What about the reverse, hard cast as under 1,000 fps?

Thanks for all the help!

Leo

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I cast my own bullets, usually not too hard. Mostly wheelweights with a little tin added for about an 11 or 12 BHN. The more important thing with cast bullets is that their sizing be correct for your barrel and cylinder throats. You want your cast bullets, after leaving the case and the cylinder throats, to match or be about .001" larger than your barrel measures.

As far as reloading data, the Speer manual has a little; the Lyman manual has more. The info you have received on this thread is mostly spot on. If you decide that cast bullets are what you want to shoot (recommend same), then I would suggest also spending some time on the bullet casting section in the reloading portion here on the Campfire. Lots of good info there.

Doug
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

229 members (12344mag, 160user, 2500HD, 22kHornet, 10Glocks, 257 roberts, 24 invisible), 2,306 guests, and 919 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,281
Posts18,467,718
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.