-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I already shot my chrono once with a sabot and I didn't want to do it again so after much thought and many considerations I finally came up with this simple solution.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Two plastic tubs and a foam rubber gasket to hold the shield in place.

This should work perfect. I don't believe a sabot will penetrate two tubs. One maybe. The tubs joined together are very spongy and should work extremely well at absorbing the impact of a hit. The plastic is a bit fuzzy but you can still see the numbers. My old eyes aren't the best and I use my binos to read the chrono so no big deal.

I'm also going to replace the metal sky screen rods with wood or plastic so they won't break the housing if they get hit.

FWIW, Competition Electronic repaired the unit when a sabot took out the display for about $45.00 including return shipping. It's a great chrono and their CS and repair dept is excellent.

GB1

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
that will do. Luckily my Chrony has the screen thats remote and you just set it on the table next to you.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Excellent fish head. Ya` gotta love simple and effective.

My ProChrono once took a sabot to the face and died on the spot - no tracking necessary. I made a protective screen for the replacement, but it's not as compact as yours. I'll be adopting your approach. Thanks.

My wife says I'm totally nuts, but I think I'm Semisane.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by fish head
I already shot my chrono once with a sabot and I didn't want to do it again so after much thought and many considerations I finally came up with this simple solution.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Two plastic tubs and a foam rubber gasket to hold the shield in place.

This should work perfect. I don't believe a sabot will penetrate two tubs. One maybe. The tubs joined together are very spongy and should work extremely well at absorbing the impact of a hit. The plastic is a bit fuzzy but you can still see the numbers. My old eyes aren't the best and I use my binos to read the chrono so no big deal.

I'm also going to replace the metal sky screen rods with wood or plastic so they won't break the housing if they get hit.

FWIW, Competition Electronic repaired the unit when a sabot took out the display for about $45.00 including return shipping. It's a great chrono and their CS and repair dept is excellent.

PLEASE let us know how it works. I have a Savage 10ML-II and am dieing to chrono it but worry about sabot vs. chrono.

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
If you think about it how far down range do you find your sabot's 50-75 feet...at 15 feet the normal distance you set-up your chrono the sabot at that distance has lost maybe 300 fps...that is still enough to damage your tubs and maybe the chrono...I use a piece of 1/4" piece of polycarbonate (bullet proof glass) with a bracket holding it in front of the chrono

I have for many years used wood dowel rods to hold sky screens

IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
yes
load a sabot and no powder or ball. fire it with a shotgun primer. loaded backwards they will smash a tin can.

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
save yourself some grief and make a shield to protect your chronograph. A sabot will do havoc to the the chrony particularly out of a savage.
The one the OP illustrated will do nicely.
I made a protective shield out of 5/8" plywood to protect the eyes on my Oehler.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Here's one of the busted sensor protectors. luckily the eye wasn't damaged and is still functional.
[IMG]
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v513/smokeeter/DSC01875.jpg[/IMG

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

618 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 10Glocks, 1234, 10gaugeman, 59 invisible), 2,024 guests, and 1,092 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,192
Posts18,465,824
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.