R
shooting range?

HR IC

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Tres,
I like your recommendations/instructions and appreciate the time you have taken to share them with all of us. Question about finding the seating depth of a particular combination. What do you think about using the bullet and a fired brass with the neck dinged down to hold tension on the bullet as it slides back into the brass when cycled into the chamber and then carefully backing it out and measuring with a comparator?

Thanks
Dave

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
New reloader here. Why not close the bolt all the way? Are you not getting a true measurement by measuring in between the stops? What am I missing here? Sorry for the noob ?s . I am trying to work up loads for my 300 rum right now and I am loving all this info. Thanks.

If you don't have anything nice to say, you must be talking about Hilary Clinton.

When it's time to bury your guns it's time to dig em up.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
2 rod stops. Got it.

If you don't have anything nice to say, you must be talking about Hilary Clinton.

When it's time to bury your guns it's time to dig em up.
M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
The rod stops are on backorder...ugh.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
geeze, keep it simple. Get a Lee OAL lenght gauge and stop beating yourself up

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Fire formed case shoulder bumped to your need to chamber, prepped; trimmed, chamfer, deburred, no primer. I use Lee collet neck sizer and slightly size to have a loose but even fit with the bullet. Red lock tite case mouth and bullet, wipe off excess after seating bullet out a ways, chamber dummy carefully, let sit for 10-15 minutes in the chamber. Extract after that time. I would let it sit for a few hours but if you have a stiff micrometer top, maybe 24 hours? My Redding top came stiff and slots in the case mouth or just guess sizing to hold the bullet with a standard seater die is fine. The micro top pushes the bullet down in the case but with red lock tite it aint budging.

Last edited by anothergun; 08/16/23.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by RaceTire
Tres,
I like your recommendations/instructions and appreciate the time you have taken to share them with all of us. Question about finding the seating depth of a particular combination. What do you think about using the bullet and a fired brass with the neck dinged down to hold tension on the bullet as it slides back into the brass when cycled into the chamber and then carefully backing it out and measuring with a comparator?

Thanks
Dave

The problem with a comparator is where the bullet makes contact with the rifling is another dimension vs a comparator that doesn’t change. As throats erode the dimension changes. So after say 100 rounds it has to be checked again. These reloading companies really market certain items like bullet comparators which on compare bullets for similar o gives not COAL.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by fubarguy
geeze, keep it simple. Get a Lee OAL lenght gauge and stop beating yourself up

That is a case trim over all length gauge not a cartridge over all length.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by WGM
Originally Posted by bigwhoop
Not all magazines allow you to start "jammed". Tikka's and Sako's come to mind right away. You must start in the "jumped" mode. Not unless you feed it one at a time which isn't the purpose of a magazine fed rifle.

It never ceases to amaze me that some rifles are engineered without taking the entire system into consideration. As far as I'm concerned, there should never be an excuse for a production rifle to have a magazine that doesn't allow cartridges with bullets seated at least slightly into the lands to easily fit & cycle thru the magazine.

You can ALWAYS choose to not seat out into the lands, but to have to turn your repeater into a single-shot in order to do it is simply absurd.
Originally Posted by WGM
Originally Posted by bigwhoop
Not all magazines allow you to start "jammed". Tikka's and Sako's come to mind right away. You must start in the "jumped" mode. Not unless you feed it one at a time which isn't the purpose of a magazine fed rifle.

It never ceases to amaze me that some rifles are engineered without taking the entire system into consideration. As far as I'm concerned, there should never be an excuse for a production rifle to have a magazine that doesn't allow cartridges with bullets seated at least slightly into the lands to easily fit & cycle thru the magazine.

You can ALWAYS choose to not seat out into the lands, but to have to turn your repeater into a single-shot in order to do it is simply absurd.

Not sure if l’m on this right but, l just removed a spacer from a internal box mag to achieve this. I called Browning which owns Winchester. They have no info on Conn. built rifles, they don’t have boxes in the newer rifles at all. I suppose the spacer prevents handloading to sell more factory ammo or just prevent accidents. With a liability what it is even back then l think it’s not about selling ammo, and no boxes now is cheaper manufacturing.

Last edited by anothergun; 08/16/23.
IC B3

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
208 members (358WCF, 257_X_50, 1minute, 300_savage, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 30 invisible), 2,144 guests, and 976 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,645
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.