-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We would flog the chit outta multiple brands of saws clearing and cutting firewood, and everyone that had an echo or two loved 'em.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
GB1

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by alpinecrick
McCulloch Super Pro 70 and 60, Husky 346xp and 371xp and Rancher 55, Stihl 026 and 032.

There's a big diff between the pro models vs landowner vs homeowner saws these days.

The Echo's ain't bad saws, but nothing like the pro Stihls and Huskys (Weight, power, acceleration, reliability).

Echo dealers tend to cater to the lawn and tree maintenance guys and offer good service. But I'm a bit skeptical of the models of saws offered at places like HD or Lowes regardless of brand......

Casey

You've got that right. The box stores saws are made to a price point and lack the bigger cc engines that make a saw more powerful and easier to use.

Beware of thieves, scammers and dishonest members on the "Fire" classifieds. Ya there is a thief here too. Whatever!!

They're all around the CampFire and everywhere.
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by TwoTrax
For some strange reason I really like chainsaws and enjoy using them. I cut about 15-20 cords a year, full cords not face cords. I have saws made by Echo, Efco, Dolmar, Husqvarna and Stihl. One of the Echo's is a CS 600P, which is an earlier version of the 590. It is an excellent saw which is pretty much the equal of the 360 Pro Stihl.

If you really want to improve the performance of that saw, give it a muff mod, pull the limiters on the carb and tune it. Throw some full chisel on it, then look in the mirror to see the big smile that will be on your face.
What's a face cord ??

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Echo makes some fine pro saws..

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I can't speak to their chain saws, but I have a string/blade trimmer I bought 15 years ago that is a fine piece of equipment.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ldholton
For some strange reason I really like chainsaws and enjoy using them. I cut about 15-20 cords a year, full cords not face cords. I have saws made by Echo, Efco, Dolmar, Husqvarna and Stihl. One of the Echo's is a CS 600P, which is an earlier version of the 590. It is an excellent saw which is pretty much the equal of the 360 Pro Stihl.

If you really want to improve the performance of that saw, give it a muff mod, pull the limiters on the carb and tune it. Throw some full chisel on it, then look in the mirror to see the big smile that will be on your face.
What's a face cord ??

One row of 4'x8'x16" split... never understood it.

L
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
L
A face cord is 4' x8' x whatever length the wood was cut. A true cord is 4'x8'x8'. Around here a face cord is called a rick.

Last edited by LeonHitchcox; 09/15/14.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by LeonHitchcox
A Husqvarna 61 that is 30 years old and a Husqvarna 346XP that I got cheap from a pawn shop. The 346 does the major duty, but the 20 inch bar on the 61 is called for large tree felling.

This

T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
McCulloch Super Pro 70 and 60, Husky 346xp and 371xp and Rancher 55, Stihl 026 and 032.

There's a big diff between the pro models vs landowner vs homeowner saws these days.

The Echo's ain't bad saws, but nothing like the pro Stihls and Huskys (Weight, power, acceleration, reliability).

Echo dealers tend to cater to the lawn and tree maintenance guys and offer good service. But I'm a bit skeptical of the models of saws offered at places like HD or Lowes regardless of brand......

Casey

You are certainly correct in that there is a big difference between pro and farm/homeowner saws. The 590 Echo is a "sleeper" in that it is pretty much a pro saw build that is based on the 600P model, but comes with a homeowner type bar and chain, believe it also has a spur type sprocket instead of a rim. I do not think there is a better saw value anywhere by anyone right now.

For a couple of bucks more money, Stihl offers the 291 and Husky offers the 455. Both are homeowner/farm type saws and neither is even close to the 590 Echo in performance or build quality.

I would not argue that a Stihl 362 or the Husky 562 is a better choice for the professional, but remeber that comes at a price, at least $300 more than the Echo 590. For the casual, even enthusiast user it is very hard to beat the Echo for the money.

Heaven has a wall, a gate and strict immigration policy.

Hell has open borders.

Let that sink in.....

I Live for Opening Day!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by smokinggun

What chainsaws do y'all use?

I have a few, Stihl MS260 Pro, Stihl 029 Farm Boss and Stihl MS170 Mini Boss and like them all.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

IC B3

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Im not real happy with my echo leaf blower right now. I bought one two years ago with a five year warranty that recently stopped working. Turns out there are a lot of exceptions to the warranty. For example, the unit is approved for use with ethanol gas, but somehow if it screws up the carb its not covered under warranty.

My old el cheapo poulan lasted ten years at about half the price.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Husqvarna 562 XP with a 20". This thing kicks butt..

- Rogue
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I own two Husky 450 Ranchers, one in Idaho and one in Texas, and they do all that I need. They keep the dead trees in a bundle for the wood stoves on both properties and start within a few pulls after many months of non-use. For my use I do not see a need for anything more.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I purchased an Echo years ago at Home Depot. Only use it for trimming limbs & small trees at my lake house & occasionally at my city home. Don't cut fire wood so the Echo does everything I need.

Life Members SCI & NRA. NRA Instructor & RSO. What have YOU done to support hunting & gun rights?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Auger01
Im not real happy with my echo leaf blower right now. I bought one two years ago with a five year warranty that recently stopped working. Turns out there are a lot of exceptions to the warranty. For example, the unit is approved for use with ethanol gas, but somehow if it screws up the carb its not covered under warranty.

Don't take this wrong.....but,
A warranty does not cover stupidity.
Ethanol and carbs are not compatible.
Use non-ethanol gas (if you can) and your troubles should be few.
Most people buy a gallon or five of that wonderful ethanol your government is shoving down your throat, mix it 50:1 (maybe) and it sits in the garage for the summer or even better, all winter.
Then in spring they pull their 2 stroke whatever brand, out of the garage,
fill it with the gas they have in their can and expect to trim away like when she was new.
99% of the people with trouble didn't winterize or care for their fuel or carb in anyway.

According to your machine's Manuel, you should throw out any ethanol gas that has sat for 30 days or more.

Have Dog

Will Travel

T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by wageslave
Originally Posted by Auger01

Don't take this wrong.....but,
A warranty does not cover stupidity.
Ethanol and carbs are not compatible.
Use non-ethanol gas (if you can) and your troubles should be few.
Most people buy a gallon or five of that wonderful ethanol your government is shoving down your throat, mix it 50:1 (maybe) and it sits in the garage for the summer or even better, all winter.
Then in spring they pull their 2 stroke whatever brand, out of the garage,
fill it with the gas they have in their can and expect to trim away like when she was new.
99% of the people with trouble didn't winterize or care for their fuel or carb in anyway.

According to your machine's Manuel, you should throw out any ethanol gas that has sat for 30 days or more.

No doubt ethanol is bad news for carbed equipment. I use non ethanol in all my 2 cycle engines, I have to get it from another state or I would use it in all my small engines.

So far ethanol gas has ruined gaskets in my Honda powered splitter, Robin-Subaru powered pressure washer, 2 Brigs powered lawn mowers and worst of all my BMW motorcycle which is fuel injected but it ate the lines!!!!!

Startron or Stabil Marine helps but bottom line is ethanol gas SUCKS!!!

I am inclined to agree that the fuel was the problem, not the equipment. Even though the alcohol is only supposed to be 10%, many that test it report higher percentages.

Heaven has a wall, a gate and strict immigration policy.

Hell has open borders.

Let that sink in.....

I Live for Opening Day!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I was talking to a mechanic at the Polaris shop.
He said ethanol gas is great for selling shop time......... grin
Eats any and all rubber it finds......
Fuel injected stuff can get away with it.
Carbs.......not so much.

Have Dog

Will Travel

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S

Casey

You are certainly correct in that there is a big difference between pro and farm/homeowner saws. The 590 Echo is a "sleeper" in that it is pretty much a pro saw build that is based on the 600P model, but comes with a homeowner type bar and chain, believe it also has a spur type sprocket instead of a rim. I do not think there is a better saw value anywhere by anyone right now.

For a couple of bucks more money, Stihl offers the 291 and Husky offers the 455. Both are homeowner/farm type saws and neither is even close to the 590 Echo in performance or build quality.

I would not argue that a Stihl 362 or the Husky 562 is a better choice for the professional, but remeber that comes at a price, at least $300 more than the Echo 590. For the casual, even enthusiast user it is very hard to beat the Echo for the money.

This is pretty much what I discovered in my research and the reason why I purchased the CS-590. Also, the parts are interchangeable so can easily be upgraded. Not sure if it's true, but a lot of people claim that ECHO does not have a homeowner line and they are all professional grade.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Just to say it, a cord of wood is 128 cubic feet of wood, with the wood cut at 24 inches each. A Rick is cut at 18 inches.

I have a Stihl Farm Boss and a Ms180c. Both are great.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
The other day my Home Depot had a refurbished Echo 590 for $299. This thread is making me wish I had given it a closer look.

I've always been a fan of Echo but the newer orange saws look cheaper made to me than the old gray saws. We have an old 440/4400 that is my favorite saw out of the three we have. With a sharp chain it will run through anything but its usually reserved for cedar and brush clearing. An Echo with similar power to a Husky 55 would be a force to be reckoned with.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

660 members (10ring1, 1234, 19rabbit52, 1badf350, 007FJ, 12344mag, 59 invisible), 2,712 guests, and 1,306 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,694
Posts18,456,642
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.