Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
jimmyp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
On average a good bolt gun is more accurate and can handle more powerful cartridges. I have grown more interested over the last 7 years or so when I discovered I could hunt deer with them with much less recoil from the 223, reasonable accuracy and a quick second shot if needed.

ARIC

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
When it comes to firearms my first love is a well tuned bolt action; remington of course, with some good optics for long distance varminting. I really enjoy that and so do my hillbilly friends I run with.

I had always turned up my nose at the little plastic bb guns. I was not in combat arms so I never fooled with them in the military so I had no affection forced on me via a senior enlisted. I always viewed them as over priced and over engineered and less than robust.

The two things that seduced my mind was the accuracy and light weight, and of course no recoil. After a while it just kind of grew on me in my mind. I kinda got the disease. After I figured out that keeping them well lubed cured them of many ills I changed my way of thinking.

I would never have bought one at all except for a very good friend of mine who was a ranger in Vietnam, he had a great deal of faith in them and he liked being able to run like lightning with such a light weight weapon.

I still have not been converted to an AR-fanatic-addict and I still like having a cheap clunky romanian sar around.

Done in Convention by the Unanimous Consent of the States present the Seventeenth Day of September in the Year of our Lord one thousand seven hundred and Eighty seven.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Most are accurate enough and can be more accurate than the average bolt gun. With a few simple tools, anyone who can follow directions can change almost anything on their AR at home. They are reliable, safe, and extremely versatile. What's not to like about the AR platform?

John 8:12 "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
When I was about 18, I traded a 222 bolt gun for a mini 14. Next thing I knew there was 3 of them in my family and we spent the next several years dumping thousands of rounds through them, laughing at the AR guys. We also quietly traded into several mini's trying to find one that was accurate, it never happened.

I finally tried a Colt at the reccomendation of a buddy (at the time there was Colt, Bushmaster and Armalite) and fell in love with it. My buddy taught me how they worked and how to work on them. Being able to set one up to fit me, being as accurate as a bolt gun (my first Colt shot 1/2" groups out of the box) and being 100% reliable sealed the deal. A second or thirtieth follow up shot was nice too.

Today I favor light bolt guns like the Kimber Montana but still have a few AR's and always will. When you need an AR, nothing else will do.

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Rugged, reliable, accurate, simple, easily self smithed, differing calibers, shape shifting/customizable, modular, and quick follow up shots are among several characteristics that come to mind. Also they don't require babying and can be painted at will in any number of redneck camo patterns. They do get a demerit because they are a bit clunky and tall thru the mid section.

IC B2

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I never warmed up to the AR style for many years. Last Spring the local gun store had DPMS Oracles on sale for $598 with a $50 factory rebate. I always said IF I got an AR it would be a flat top and there they were at a good price. I mounted a EoTech sight on it and replaced the trigger with a single stage. For me it's plenty accurate (10 rounds total/5 rounds each of two different loads with different powders and same bullet into 3" @ 100 yards) with anything load I've shot so far.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Just because you can't shoot 3Gun without one. If it weren't for that I might not ever own one again.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
Just because you can't shoot 3Gun without one. If it weren't for that I might not ever own one again.

Somewhat the same. I like military guns and their history though.

We shot the AR so many years in competition, some 20K rounds a year off and on from 1989 through about 2003, that the AR became like an extension. When bullets were good enough it was a no brainer... beware the man with one gun scenario.... They felt good, fit fine etc...( that was not the case on day 1 with the AR...)

ANd I became amazed how accurate they could be and amazed how small of gropus i could shoot out to 1000 at times with irons.

I will never get rid of mine though..... and while I don't actually hunt that often with them, bowing back to my bolt guns mostly at times, its not that I dont', I just like mixing it up. And lets face it I face some longer shots at times, other side of 200 all the time, often past 300 in a few areas, and I am not naive enough to say the 223 is the ticket at longer distance to take any shot that presents itself.... that falls to my 308 or larger.

Now meat hunting is totally different. Pig also. Without the AR I"d have had not nearly as large a number of dead ones at times... If I could ever find a sounder in an open field during daylight wiht at least a full 20 rounder and maybe a spare one... I'd really like to try that or helo's....Still waiting for my buddy to by a Robinson instead of renting....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Because I thought they was gonna tell me I couldn't have one.....

whistle grin wink cool crazy shocked blush tired sleep

Wipe your mouth, there's still a tiny bit of bullshit around your lips.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
i like them cause they are modular and easy to tinker with...anyone with a few braincells can work on them and come up with decent results....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
IC B3

J
jimmyp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Oklahoma

this I think is why a lot of people have them.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
The 300 yard intermediate cartridge/rifle concept wass revolutionary all things considered. And now with new loads and or chamberings you can cross over from the intermediate concept to an almost full blown battle rifle; but in a feather weight little toy "plastic" carbine. An honest 500 yard killer. It is a concept hard to ignore, since all small arms are a compromise between this and that, I hate to admit it cuz I used to hate AR's but all things considered a proper AR seems to hit the sweet spot. Kinda like anything chambered in 6.5! LOL

Done in Convention by the Unanimous Consent of the States present the Seventeenth Day of September in the Year of our Lord one thousand seven hundred and Eighty seven.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I have several, but mostly use mine for Varmit hunting & Praire Dog shoots. The good ones are reliable and very accurate.

Also have just a standard M-4 version that stays strapped to the 4-wheeler at the Ranch. It has taken a lot of hogs and coyotes, and it's rugged & ugly, so I don't worry about it getting banged up.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K

I don't shoot 3G although they run them around here (Tarheel and some stuff at PSR37 called Friday Night Fights, Infidel League, etc) but I do shoot them in DMR matches. I guess you could say I shoot precision 2-gun. I shot them for years in the Army without wanting my own but when I started shooting PRS matches there were just not enough of them and DMR filled the void. Aside from that I don't actually love the AR.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by Oklahoma

this is why I bought my first one.....now buying parts and building different rifles is one of my new sports....I love 'em cause they
are FUN!

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Because I suck at woodwork and like building things...

NRA Life Member
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 7mmfreak

I don't shoot 3G although they run them around here (Tarheel and some stuff at PSR37 called Friday Night Fights, Infidel League, etc) but I do shoot them in DMR matches. I guess you could say I shoot precision 2-gun. I shot them for years in the Army without wanting my own but when I started shooting PRS matches there were just not enough of them and DMR filled the void. Aside from that I don't actually love the AR.

That sounds like a lot of fun.

I guess y'all do more intermediate range shooting, 100-500 yards?

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I like it because it's an accurate and reliable rifle chambered in the .223.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Outshot everybody in my Basic Flight at Lackland the summer of '77 w wore out M16A1 and actual 5.56mm ball.

Carry itty bitty one every day at work.

Have several personal ones in various configurations.

Don't mind taking them out in bad weather.

Set em nose down on floor boards with no worries about crown damage.

Suppressor ready.

Just wish Daniel Defense would make a pencil 18-in. rifle-length tube w .223AI chamber...let the bodies hit the floor!
grin

Last edited by ColdCase1984; 09/26/14.

�When in doubt, I whip it out.� Uncle Ted
[Linked Image]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
accurate, reliable, rugged, versatile, and American.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
721 members (007FJ, 12344mag, 1234, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 65 invisible), 3,131 guests, and 1,293 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,745
Posts18,401,279
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.