24hourcampfire.com
-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 12 13
OP Offline
Ongoing discussions about all types of hunting are necessary. As time passes and technologies advance, it is important to recalibrate ones understanding of the available options while staying mindful of those things we value regarding responsible hunting. Young adults getting their driver�s license experience a rapid advancement in the technology related to their mobility. They are compelled to readjust their attitudes and understanding about responsible behavior in the face of this advancement. Does the real potential danger of injury or death by accessing this new technology mean that they should be discouraged from driving? Of course not. What they need instead is to understand the importance of acting responsibly.

To this end, I applaud Boone and Crockett for their latest communications about Long Range Shooting. They have provided three works which eloquently express the importance of being a responsible hunter. These are:

Long-Range Shooting: Defining A New Ethic in Hunting

Boone and Crockett Club Position Statement

Long Shots: Fad or Trend?

Their comments about the importance of being a responsible hunter are so well communicated that I will not recount their message here but rather encourage you to read them. Within these works, they make several points. Most of these points should be embraced by all hunters. Distance aside, there is no sensible reason why a hunter should take a shot at a game animal in which the hunter couldn�t hit the center of the vital area 9 out of 10 times as Wayne C. van Zwoll�s article suggests. On this we should all agree.

However, it is appropriate that we agree to disagree on the value of the technological advancements that allow hunters to take such a shot. The idea of fair chase is, at its core, simply an idea. As an idea will, it means different things to different people. I�d offer that the most literal application of fair chase is to go into the wild, barefooted and grab a rock or a stick you come across on the way. Essentially, anything added to this experience is using technology to overcome the game�s senses. The hunting experience is just as intimate and real for those who use tree stands, calls, feeders, blinds, decoys, trail cameras, scent concealer, compound bows and the numerous other technology advancements in the area of hunting.

I agree 100% that no shot should be taken that is not certain of success. The question is, how do these advancing technologies factor into this success? Precision rifles that are capable of consistent, lengthened trajectories provide significantly improved shot placement due to reduced drift and drop. Just because a hunter has a rifle that can hit targets consistently at 1,000 yards doesn�t mean that this is the distance at which they engage game. Most animals taken with longer range capable firearms are taken at distance far short of their capable range.

Range finders, environmental measuring devices and trajectory calculators allow a hunter to be certain of his shot placement situation regardless of range. These devices are not utilized only when the game is at distance, but at any distance they are engaged. Well made, balanced bullets with sleek designs not only improve shot placement capabilities; but they also increase the amount of energy on impact, further ensuring a quick and humane harvest.

I fully appreciate the effort and the experience one goes through in traversing that extra 50 yards to get closer to an animal. However, for many hunters in the modern era, this activity is not as stimulating as the endeavor of developing a precision rifle and their skills with practice and patience. Such efforts applied by a responsible hunter are certain to produce an ethical outcome while at the same time being a fully enjoyable hunting experience.

For those who want to get closer because that is what excites them about a hunt, I encourage them to do so and I will celebrate with them their accomplishment. If they take a precision rifle into the same situation, they�ve increased their likelihood for success that much more by utilizing improved shot placement and higher impact energy capabilities that come with this advancement in technology. None of these advancements are preventing those who want to get closer from doing so.

Hunting is about the experience. Being a responsible hunter is about the individual. Those who are responsible will act accordingly regardless of what technological advancements they take into the field. It is not certain that the person commonly recognized as founding the idea of fair chase, Theodore Roosevelt himself wouldn�t own and use a precision rifle if he understood how it incorporated improved shot placement and higher impact energy capabilities into his own hunting experience.

In the end, the important idea is that we should all be responsible hunters, and those of us who are in the industry should promote this idea. Berger Bullets started testing our hunting bullets in West Virginia on hogs, and not a shot was taken over 75 yards. The next test was in New Zealand where multiple dozens of animal were harvested. Most of the animals were taken at 175 yards or less, with a few in the 300 yard range. Walt Berger has been a sportsman all his life having run trap lines in Ohio at the age of 9. He�s taken one animal at �475 steps�. All of the other animals he recalls over his numerous decades of active hunting were taken at distances less than 150 yards.

When we started promoting the use of our bullets for hunting, it was not our intent to become regarded as a �long range� hunting bullet. It just so happens that our bullets are well balanced and designed with sleek profiles. This results in better shot placement and higher energy on impact. Both of these things are useful to any hunter, and provide the hunter with nothing more than options. It is irresponsible for a hunter to assume that using our bullets can give them the ability to shoot to distances they haven�t already practiced with confirmed success.

To assist in communicating the idea of responsible hunting, we are initiating a hunter education effort. We are making targets available that can be downloaded and printed on an 8.5� X 11� standard sheet of paper. You can download them from our Vital Zone Hunting Targets page. On this target will be an actual size representation of the vital zone area of various different game animals. We strongly encourage those who use our bullets or any bullets for hunting to download this target and place it at any distance at which you feel capable of hitting the center of the vital area 9 out of 10 times.
If you can do this, then you�ve proven that you are acting responsibly when taking a shot at this distance. Our objective is to further educate that our bullets are not made to achieve long range kills for the sake of distance. They are made precisely to improve shot placement and are designed thoughtfully to allow higher levels of energy on impact. The distance at which a hunter chooses to apply these capabilities will ultimately come down to the character of the individual and their abilities.

Link to original blog: http://www.bergerbullets.com/boone-and-crockett-ethical-hunting/

Download Free Vital Zone Targets Here: http://www.bergerbullets.com/vital-z...nting-targets/

Eric Stecker
Executive Vice President
Berger Bullets

Last edited by melesia_cisneros; 09/26/14.
GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by melesia_cisneros
The idea of fair chase is, at its core, simply an idea.

For some, it's more than that. More like a code. And a wise man once said, the general public will only tolerate hunting as long as they think it's fair. Or something to that effect.

Originally Posted by melesia_cisneros
I�d offer that the most literal application of fair chase is to go into the wild, barefooted and grab a rock or a stick you come across on the way. Essentially, anything added to this experience is using technology to overcome the game�s senses.

True, but that doesn't mean that anything goes. We place lots of limits on technology in hunting, voluntarily and by law.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hitting a stationary piece of paper 9 out of 10 times still won't assure an animal at 500+ yds won't decide to move just as you trip the trigger

Just because "there's an ap for that" doesn't mean most people should try it

One shot, one kill........ It saves a lot of ammo!
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Snyper
Hitting a stationary piece of paper 9 out of 10 times still won't assure an animal at 500+ yds won't decide to move just as you trip the trigger

Can I see your long range setup? I bet it's UBER.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

Pretty easy to tell sometimes that a critter isn't about to up and move. I'll submit a deer I recently shot in Wyoming:

[Linked Image]

This year's was a chip shot, but last year I took one in a very similar scenario at 503. In both cases I had zero concern my target was about to move.

Empirical results rule!
IC B2

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Move? Do you guys mean like when a deer jumps a string?

Travis

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Are you Eric's other admin.?

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I don't even know what an Eric Stecker is. And even if I did, I'd not give a fugg what his opinion is.

Travis

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I like the way B&C addresses the long range killing that is being somewhat pushed on tv. While addressing ALL hunting tools.

"The Club finds that long-range shooting takes unfair advantage of the game animal, effectively eliminates the natural capacity of an animal to use its senses and instincts to detect danger, and demeans the hunter/prey relationship in a way that diminishes the importance and relevance of the animal and the hunt. The Club urges all hunters to think carefully of the consequences of long-range shooting, whether hunting with a rifle, bow, muzzleloader, crossbow, or handgun, and not confuse the purposes and intent of long-range shooting with fair chase hunting."

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
President of Berger bullets. Obviously, a disinterested third party. I do like their bullets though.

IC B3

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
My LRF solved one problem, now I need a doppler wind guesser and I might be able to hit some damn thing. This schidt is hard.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by deflave

Travis

snipper just put you on ignore laugh

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by eh76
Originally Posted by deflave

Travis

snipper just put you on ignore laugh

No.
I just saw no point in answering to something that had nothing to do with what I said

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Carl_Ross

Pretty easy to tell sometimes that a critter isn't about to up and move. I'll submit a deer I recently shot in Wyoming:

[Linked Image]

This year's was a chip shot, but last year I took one in a very similar scenario at 503. In both cases I had zero concern my target was about to move.

there was a time when shooting a bedded deer was akin to sleeping with your sister. just wasn't done. that was back when we usually made head shots on deer or neck shots. today the experts squeal like pigs if that is done. only way to kill an animal is heart/lung preferably with shoulders also smashed. Phooey!

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
In both cases I had zero concern my target was about to move.

Your lack of concern doesn't change the possibility of them moving
It merely shows you don't care

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

No.
I just saw no point in answering to something that had nothing to do with what I said

Sounds like an awesome rig.

Can you tell me at what range I can stop worrying about whether or not the deer moves at the same moment the primer is ignited?

Thanks in advance.

Travis

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Depends on the burning speed of your powder. With a fast-burning powder........

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
In both cases I had zero concern my target was about to move.

Your lack of concern doesn't change the possibility of them moving
It merely shows you don't care

I think it shows he's a keen observer of wildlife. And knows that a bedded deer won't move.

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Wild_Bill_375
I like the way B&C addresses the long range killing that is being somewhat pushed on tv. While addressing ALL hunting tools.

"The Club finds that long-range shooting takes unfair advantage of the game animal, effectively eliminates the natural capacity of an animal to use its senses and instincts to detect danger, and demeans the hunter/prey relationship in a way that diminishes the importance and relevance of the animal and the hunt. The Club urges all hunters to think carefully of the consequences of long-range shooting, whether hunting with a rifle, bow, muzzleloader, crossbow, or handgun, and not confuse the purposes and intent of long-range shooting with fair chase hunting."

Guessing Eric has never chased after wolves. Those buggers pretty well know how to sense and stay at least 1,00-1,200 yards out. Their senses are more than adequate to keep themselves mostly safe.

Montana MOFO
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I'm all for debate and discussion on all topics amongst people with similar interests. But does anybody really give two flying schists what the B&C club thinks of anything? I also don't give a schit what Eric the Bullet Seller thinks and I cannot imagine why anybody on this earth would.

The stench of legislation is filling the air mighty quick IMO. Proving once again the biggest enemy of hunting is the high and mighty fuggstick crowd.

Travis

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

573 members (160user, 10Glocks, 1234, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 02bfishn, 65 invisible), 2,491 guests, and 1,298 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,226
Posts18,466,576
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.