Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
For the positional drill postal match, print out one each of these targets and post them up at 100 yards. This works best if you are using a setup that can be zeroed dead on at 100 somehow.

(They need to be printed out at 100% scale, and then they are still in shooter MOA, not true MOA)

The first round is shot with no time limits.

7MOA = 2 shots offhand
5MOA = 2 shots sitting
3MOA = 2 shots sitting with sticks
2MOA = 2 shots prone (can use a pack, but no rear bag, no bipod)

The second round is a repeat, but with a 15 second par time. I set a timer on my phone, if the shot isn't taken BEFORE the buzzer, it doesn't count.

7MOA = 2 shots offhand in 15 seconds
5MOA = 2 shots sitting in 15 seconds
3MOA = 2 shots sitting with sticks in 15 seconds
2MOA = 2 shots prone in 15 seconds

The third round is a "medley". One shot from each position, with a 60 second par time.

7MOA = 1 shot offhand
5MOA = 1 shot sitting
3MOA = 1 shot sitting with sticks
2MOA = 1 shot prone
...all in 60 seconds.

It's scored out of 20. To submit an entry, just post up a picture of the finished targets. Mark any hits that were either after the buzzer , or that are actually misses from a different target, they will not count.

Please include information about your rifle, optic, and load.

***I plan to address other aspects of shooting on future matches if the interest is there, but hopefully this will get things going.

Attached Images
Targets.zip (40.59 KB, 290 downloads)

Empirical results rule!
GB1

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Copied from the original thread...

Excellent. To partly demonstrate what's on this thread, shoot it exactly how your rifle is zeroed. If you're zeroed 2in high at 100 yards, or 3.5in high, or whatever, then shoot it that way. Don't rezero to 100 yards if you're a holder. Also start with the scope on the lowest power if a variable for each stage.

Carl,

Each stage is started from the standing for the timed drills, correct?

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
I've done it both ways (starting in position vs getting in position). Having to get in position under time as well is more useful, lets run it that way.

Empirical results rule!
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Nice! I hope I can get out to the range in time to shoot this so I can see how my scores stack up.
I need to do more real life drills like this. While I feel that I am a pretty decent shot, I know that I am not a true marksman and I really need to spend more time practicing and just plain shooting from different positions. Before I had a family I used to go through ammo like crazy, but now the time to go out and really shoot is hard to come by!
Thanks for posting this up.

Things that matter the most should never be at the mercy of things that matter the least.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Formidilosus
Copied from the original thread...

Excellent. To partly demonstrate what's on this thread, shoot it exactly how your rifle is zeroed. If you're zeroed 2in high at 100 yards, or 3.5in high, or whatever, then shoot it that way. Don't rezero to 100 yards if you're a holder. Also start with the scope on the lowest power if a variable for each stage.

Carl,

Each stage is started from the standing for the timed drills, correct?

Why start each stage with your scope set on the lowest power? Is there a magnification clause/limit in this shoot? IE: 1x, 2x, 3x, 4x, only?? What's up with this? I may be interested..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
This evolved out of the dialing vs BDC thread. Most keep variables on low power until they need more and then turn it up for the shot. Using the rifle/scope setup how you actually hunt, instead setting it up just for this drill is the point. Doing so will start to show whether people's setup is optimum and will also start buding a data base of hit rates and times for different equipment.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Of course this is Carl's so it's up to him. These are just suggestions to make it more valid.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
When I'm hunting in the thick stuff I run low power. If a shot opportunity is further out, I crank it up. 100 yards and I run 9x, just how I roll. I see no reason to run 3x on a shoot like this unless it's in the rules.. wink. I'd like to play... I'm leaving in a bit to help sight in a buddys rifle.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Misunderstood. You have to start with the scope on low power. Once time starts for each stage you can turn it up. Just like hunting. In other words you're changing the power on the clock.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Ok, that works. Thanks formidilosus...

BSA MAGA
IC B3

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Sweet Jesus, people can truly complicate things. As I said in the other thread, I'll be running it with open sights. Don't need no frigging scope for 100 yards.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
[Linked Image]

This is what the targets look like printed out, although from the looks of it I forgot to scale them to 100% when I printed them, which just results in marginally smaller targets. The attached file is two pdf files zipped, because the ubb code won't let me attach a .pdf file.

I have no particular ax to grind in this. My idea is to practice how I hunt more so than to maximize performance on any particular drill. If you hunt with your scope on lowest power, then it would make sense to start that way. I don't hunt with my scope on lowest power, so I don't typically run the drill that way.

Have fun with it guys.

Empirical results rule!
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Cool drill Carl. Looks tough with the reloading under a time limit factor.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Carl_Ross
[Linked Image]

This is what the targets look like printed out, although from the looks of it I forgot to scale them to 100% when I printed them, which just results in marginally smaller targets. The attached file is two pdf files zipped, because the ubb code won't let me attach a .pdf file.

I have no particular ax to grind in this. My idea is to practice how I hunt more so than to maximize performance on any particular drill. If you hunt with your scope on lowest power, then it would make sense to start that way. I don't hunt with my scope on lowest power, so I don't typically run the drill that way.

Have fun with it guys.

Very cool Carl. I was on a limited time schedule today because my friend had to get back to town by a certain time. I'll also be deer hunting next weekend and maybe the weekend after that. I look forward to seeing some targets. Like prairie goat said, the timed part of it will be pretty challenging.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Sweet Jesus, people can truly complicate things. As I said in the other thread, I'll be running it with open sights. Don't need no frigging scope for 100 yards.

"Sweet Jesus", I really look forward to seeing your targets...Should be some doozies..

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Already printed out, I'll likely sling some lead tomorrow.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Cool deal Scott. Good luck. I wish my eyes were good enough to see the 5 moa target (let alone the 3 and 2) with open sights..

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'll try to run this week after work if I got time, otherwise next weekend, maybe.

I'm gonna try it first with my new 77/44 with peeps and then maybe the T3 SL in .308 with a fixed 6x...

Looks fun and challenging...

It ain't what you don't know that makes you an idiot...it's what you know for certain, that just ain't so...

Most people don't want to believe the truth~they want the truth to be what they believe.

Stupidity has no average...
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I'll be the first to look bad and post some honest targets. My hunting season starts next weekend so I'll be hunting and probably won't get to shoot the rest of these. These targets were shot with my 9.3x62mm CZ 550 American. Cold clean barrel, no practice shots. These aren't the timed targets, not enough time to do it today. Just figured I'd throw these out here for you guys to laugh at grin

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Rifle specs:

One of my primary elk rifles.
Older CZ 550 American 9.3x62mm full length bedded by yours truly.
Single stage trigger, set to 2.5 pounds (non set trigger)
Gloss Burris FFII (American made) 3-9x40 with the ballistic plex reticle.

Have fun with this guys. The timed stuff should be pretty challenging..

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I'm not using the smaller stuff, I'm taking a 5moa advantage. No way I can use a 2moa target with open sights.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

610 members (007FJ, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 1234, 65 invisible), 2,253 guests, and 1,144 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,740
Posts18,457,663
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.