K
tag

GB1

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Thanks for posting BSA. That's certainly a more significant rifle than I have run it with, in part because I have nothing that big. I have found that additional recoil CAN be hard on my scores!

Empirical results rule!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Geez, Logan is going to be a bit of a zoo until TDay...

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Tis the season. I get my stuff all tuned up so I can skip the crowds, then friends all want to go to the range with me when it's busiest.

I hope it isn't hopping at dawn tomorrow...

Empirical results rule!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've had all my rigs ready to go for awhile now..

I might be able to get out there friday for this, and to mess with the AR, but after that, it's no go for me until after turkey dinner.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
The range was surprisingly empty this morning. Found pressure for my friend Josh's new T3 7-08 pretty quick, accuracy was acceptable so we loaded 20 rounds up to do some shooting.

I shot the drill today with a T3 with a 1-8" 6mm Creedmoor barrel, loaded with 105 Hornady hpbt's at 3000 fps. It has an LRHS.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Was rushing when shooting off the sticks and it shows, had a few pretty wild shots, one that ended up on the offhand target. Had two shots at the buzzer that were misses, 15 seconds is pretty quick to fumble around with the sticks. Sticks aside I'm pretty pleased with the effort, but I'll have to be smarter with them in the future.

[Linked Image]

Josh has been a fairly typical hunter who sights his gun in each year and goes hunting, maybe shoots 40 rds total. I took him out a couple times, and he eventually talked himself into swapping the 7 Rem Mag for a 7-08 so he can shoot more than 10 rounds at a time without starting to flinch.

His offhand needs the most work, the rest of the positions he shot at least alright from. His lack of practice showed on the timed stuff, it was really too aggressive of a par time for his experience level. I told him not to rush, and we just made note of hits that occurred after the buzzer.

Empirical results rule!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm not a stick man. Do I hafta?

Campfire Pistolero x2

Only one human captain has ever survived battle with a Minbari fleet. He is behind me. You are in front of me. If you value your lives, be somewhere else. -Ambassador Delenn, Babylon 5
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
I'm not really either, at least not for hunting.

Substitute some other semi-supported sitting position, like sitting with your rifle over an upright frame pack, or with a sling, something like that.

You could also skip that target, or shoot it from unsupported sitting as well, like the 5 MOA target.

Empirical results rule!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by macrabbit
I'm not a stick man. Do I hafta?

I'm not either. Had to cut down a long set I made and they weren't cutting it. My new pack is slicker than I figured too.. Good shooting Carl. My hunting season starts this weekend, so no time to play this game frown.. I look forward to seeing more targets..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Da' tools.

I shot it with my 22-250 first. Vanguard action, Timney trigger, Talley LW's, Sako Classic. All shots were under or at time. I use the MK AR mod1 3-9X 40mm and it is a mil/mil setup. I either dial or use the mils for elevation but I most always use the dial for windage. It has held up well.

The range was dead and I was letting my sons' rifle cool so I shot it with the other rifle I use the most. It's a .17 Rem LVSF bedded in a McMillan Compact. Shilen trigger. It uses a mil/mil also. Straight 10X Bushnell.

The sticks are my custom 'Flave Precision dog killing sticks. I never use them for deer hunting but I always use them for dogs. The pack is an Osprey. I tend to use it more than any other.

[Linked Image]

Since they were all under time I just walked down and counted the holes and scored it out of a possible of five for each target. There's more than enough difference between the two cals to differentiate. Hope that's acceptable.

[Linked Image]

That 15 seconds goes fast and I was feeling rushed. Most of my shots with the .17 were right around the 12 or 13 second mark. The 22-250 was between 14 and 15 or right at the buzzer. On the 60 second stage I had about 15 seconds to spare for each rifle.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Nice 'flave.

Do you think that you shoot the 17 quicker, do you think you were getting more used to the drill, or do you just think that's a coincidence? Do you feel like you could accurately call your shots?

The 60 second stage does feel like you have all the time after the 15 second stages, should probably tighten that up. I need to shoot it with the GAP next time I make it out.

Empirical results rule!
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I do shoot the .17 better than most any rig but I wouldn't really say I shoot it quicker. Matter of fact, everybody seems to shoot this particular .17 better than most any rig. And the trigger on it is a little bit amazing.

But overall I think the higher score was getting used to the drill.

I was calling my shots pretty well. But not 100% with either rifle. There were a couple "WTF's" when I was counting holes. Especially in the offhand.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Finally had a chance to shoot this drill.

I used a Ruger 77 MK II 223, shooting Black Hills Reman 52 grain HPs. Scope is a Leupold 8x.

In the field I generally use a kneeling position instead of unsupported sitting, so I went with kneeling using a hasty sling for the 5 MOA target. The 3 MOA I used a sitting position supported by a field expedient log, as I�m not a shooting stick guy.

Here are the results:
[Linked Image]

Ended up with a 15/20.

Here is the rifle (Yes I know the sling is on backwards, I just threw it on there for this shoot so I could use a hasty sling in kneeling):

[Linked Image]

I got everything shot in time, though I was running right up against the 15 seconds during the sitting and prone. The misses to the left on each of the 5, 3, and 2 MOA targets were all done during the 15 second timed event. Think I psyched myself out there with the reload. Had around 15 seconds left over during the 1 minute drill. Overall I�m fairly happy, especially considering that I haven�t shot much this summer/fall. Definitely see room for improvement in the offhand, and really need to work on my reloads under pressure.

I�ll certainly be using this drill for future practice. Thanks Carl!

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Nice shooting with the boat paddle there Billy. For your country I bet that 8x is a decent power to be stuck on.

Are you zero'd at 100 or did you have to hold under?

Empirical results rule!
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Thanks Carl. I really like the 8x for open country work. That particular scope has been mounted for around 20 years and stayed pretty much zeroed, despite some rough use.

The rifle was sighted in 1 inch high at 100, so I aimed low. Didn�t make much difference except on the prone target, which made it reasonably difficult to maintain utmost precision.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Anybody else have targets to post??

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
E
efw Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E
Just now seeing this; gonna have to find a shooting pard to time me!

Thinking my 6-250 is the perfect candidate!!

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
The 6-250 would be a great chambering for this, and a lot else! It's pretty much a twin to my 6 Creedmore.

Empirical results rule!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I'm not keeping score on my targets. Just posting results, as this is great practice from field positions. I don't care for the height of my homemade shooting sticks, as I feel they were still a tad too tall. I just shortened them up by 2.5 inches, so we'll try them again next time. I shot 2 rifles this time so I could rotate them and not heat the barrels up as much. Target on the left was shot with my 7mm rem mag Winchester model 70 classic stainless with new Zeiss Terra 4-12x42 scope with RZ8 reticle in medium Leupold DD's, 162gr. A-max @ 3,050fps. Target shot on the right with ol faithful CZ 550 American 9.3x62mm and 286gr. Nosler partitions, Burris FFII 3-9x40 with ballistic plex reticle. Both rifles have good triggers set to 2.5 pounds.
[Linked Image]

All targets shot on time and in required positions. I look forward to seeing more targets. Where did Scotty go, he's still practicing with those iron sights???

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Had some time to kill, today, so I lobbed about 15 rounds at the targets. I'm glad it doesn't take solid hits to kill time!
I need to put in some practice and get back into the swing of things before I shoot for score.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

697 members (160user, 117LBS, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 70 invisible), 2,779 guests, and 1,198 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,163
Posts18,465,206
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.