Print Thread
Hop To
B
bcraig Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
Just got this last year and going to change oil and oil filter for first time(it had just been changed before I bought it).
I see in the Manual it gives torque settings to tighten to.
Do I really need a torque wrench to do this or can I just get the oil drain plug finger tight and then snug it a little more?
I have read of people saying they used a torque wrench and breaking the threads when torqued to manual specs !!
I surely dont want to do that !

Thanks
Craig

Faster horses,Younger women,Older Whiskey,More money

GB2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I don't have a Honda but I torque my Yamaha to specs and haven't had any problems. You have to be careful when torquing. When torquing at such a low setting, most torque wrenches are hard to hear or feel the click. I think this is why most people over torque.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

Never used a torque wrench...just don't misplace the 3 bolts

Use a quality filter & especially the recommended oil

8mm socket if I recall...a 3/8" rachet is all you need

Honda builds a bullet proof motor...

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Have been changing oil in motorcycles and ATV's for 40+ years and have never used a torque wrench. Never stripped out any threads, lost a drain plug or had one come loose either. Snug the bolt when tightening but do not get hamfisted on it and you should be fine. As per the torque spec it does not take much.

Manufacturers must list specs such as this because they have no desire to warranty stupidity.

Last edited by TwoTrax; 10/05/14.

Heaven has a wall, a gate and strict immigration policy.

Hell has open borders.

Let that sink in.....

I Live for Opening Day!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The problem is aluminum or plastic threads. They're easy to overtighten and strip out. If they stick, you can destroy the cap trying to get it loose. Some guys will crank aluminum as tight as steel and really screw it up.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've never used a torque wrench either (don't have one is why) and have had zero issues after doing oil changes. Rock Chuck has it right, be careful when tightening them down as that aluminum can strip quite easily if you overtighten it.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I have 5 Hondas on the ranch every one of them has had to go to the shop to have the drain re-threaded. Its a tough job and isn't cheap. So I am now very careful about torqueing to the proper spec. Also be sure you remember to put the little crush washer back in, and replace it if it looks worn. This will save you many oil leaks and/or lost drain plugs.

If you don't have a torque wrench then you can probably get away with finger tight and just bump it with the wrench. Be careful they strip quick and you wont realize it until you see the oil leak on your floor in a couple days.

B
bcraig Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
Thanks Guys,some of the comments almost tempt me to just leave it alone for the season though !!

Faster horses,Younger women,Older Whiskey,More money

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
113 members (338reddog, 10gaugemag, 300_savage, 17 invisible), 1,363 guests, and 734 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,588
Posts18,397,851
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.