Page 1 of 2 1 2
#9250528 10/13/14
S
Seafire Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
anyone have one of these? looking at a used one, vs a used Toyota Highlander to replace one of our vehicles....

something in the 2004 thru 2006 range will fit our family needs..

pros/cons? fuel mileage... reliability?

thanks in advance...

GB1

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
My brother has one, a 2004 I think. They bought it used about 7-8 years ago. Very few if any problems. Theirs is 4X4, but primarily front wheel drive, rear wheels activate when in 4X4.

They gave it to their daughter to drive when she turned 16. She is a HS senior this year and they expect it to last through college for her.

Very roomy, similar to a Tahoe inside. Fuel mileage is probably a bit better than a Tahoe, but you don't get the towing capacity. He gets about 25 mpg hwy normally. If driven very carefully as much as 28 a couple of times.

I have a Honda Fit. We had warranty issues a couple of years ago on Friday before Labor Day weekend. It took several days to get parts because of the holiday and they gave me a Pilot to drive for nearly a week. I liked it enough to ask about trading for it when my Fit was repaired.

The one I drove was a top end version with all the bells and whistles. Just too much $$, but If I really needed the room would seriously consider one.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I also looked at a Pilot versus a Highlander earlier this year. Went with the Highlander, hands down.

The Honda is VERY popular in Utah because of the large families. My neighbor has one. Hondas are extremely reliable but they don't seem to have advanced much. The design is a little bit stale, inside and out. They also are a bit rattly on rough roads.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
My wife had a 2006 and drove it for 8 years. We really liked it and just traded it for a 2014 Pilot. Can't go wrong IMO. Good gas mileage for a vehicle that size also. We had ZERO issues with it.

FSTF
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I have an 2006 2wd with 125,000. It has been the wife's kid hauler and our travel vehicle. I have hauled a light trailer 600 miles 1-way on vacations. It is a minivan in suv clothing, but I absolutely love the car. It is quick, reliable and we have had little issues. As the kids get older, the 2006 has a small back seat and we are thinking of looking bigger in the spring., but will spend a good deal of time looking at the newer body styles. We are getting 18/22 for mileage. If I haul the trailer, I get 18-20 depending on speed. In the 6 years we have had the car, we have replaced the alternator. All other maintenance has been normal wear and tear (brakes, tires, belts, etc.). We have not used it as an off-road SUV and have not had the rattles and other noises noted above. Mu wife has had a 4-runner, minivan and sports car over the last 20 years. She continues to say that this is her absolute favorite vehicle.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by JMR40
My brother has one, a 2004 I think. They bought it used about 7-8 years ago. Very few if any problems. Theirs is 4X4, but primarily front wheel drive, rear wheels activate when in 4X4.

They gave it to their daughter to drive when she turned 16. She is a HS senior this year and they expect it to last through college for her.

Very roomy, similar to a Tahoe inside. Fuel mileage is probably a bit better than a Tahoe, but you don't get the towing capacity. He gets about 25 mpg hwy normally. If driven very carefully as much as 28 a couple of times.

I have a Honda Fit. We had warranty issues a couple of years ago on Friday before Labor Day weekend. It took several days to get parts because of the holiday and they gave me a Pilot to drive for nearly a week. I liked it enough to ask about trading for it when my Fit was repaired.

The one I drove was a top end version with all the bells and whistles. Just too much $$, but If I really needed the room would seriously consider one.
A 2004 Tahoe with the common 5.3 is gonna get like 16 mpg. You're talking a considerable savings in gas with the Pilot if they'll do that good, 4x4 to 4x4.

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I have a 2004 that I bought new, it is a great vehicle I like it better than the two Chevy Blazers that I've owned. The Pilot gets 20-22MPG on the highway and 16MPG around town. Put a set of Michelins on it and it rides like a dream, it only has 61K on it and I plan to keep it. As regards the Toyota Highlander, when I looked at Pilot vs. Highlander in '05, the Highlander cost $5K more than the Pilot. As much as I like Toyota vehicles, I could not see $5K more in the Highlander over the Pilot. I have owned 6 Honda vehicles so far, all have been well made dependable vehicles needing only routine maintenance.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
My wife owns a 2006 Pilot that she initially leased for her business (interior design) and we bought it when the lease expired. Absolutely dead-nuts reliable. Now has 120,000 miles. Just put on a new set of Michelins. The previous set got 66,000 miles. It is strictly an on-road vehicle and I would prefer that it had AWD but for my wife's use it has been a lot like perfect. It will haul a surprising amount of goods with the seats folded down, it is safe, comfortable, and (did I mention?) ultra-reliable. She intends to drive it until the wheels fall off.

RS

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

My mom had a honda fit and it was terrible. Under powered and a suspension system that let you hate every bump.

[Linked Image from ]
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Have had an 03, 06, and now an 09 Pilot. Just got the 09 Touring model and gave the 06 to our son. That one has 180k on it and zero problems with only routine normal maintenance. We love our Honda Pilot's, they are great in our weather here in Siskiyou County, Ca. Would highly suggest getting the Pilot, just make sure you don't get a 2 wheel drive model.

The toughest thing about doing nothing is knowing when you are finished?
IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by gunswizard
I have a 2004 that I bought new, it is a great vehicle I like it better than the two Chevy Blazers that I've owned. The Pilot gets 20-22MPG on the highway and 16MPG around town. Put a set of Michelins on it and it rides like a dream, it only has 61K on it and I plan to keep it. As regards the Toyota Highlander, when I looked at Pilot vs. Highlander in '05, the Highlander cost $5K more than the Pilot. As much as I like Toyota vehicles, I could not see $5K more in the Highlander over the Pilot. I have owned 6 Honda vehicles so far, all have been well made dependable vehicles needing only routine maintenance.

Excellent post. We also have a 2005 Honda pilot AWD 8 passenger vehicle. My wife likes it, but says she likes our 99 suburban better. The pilot gets 22 mpg on the highway and is roomy enough if you are hauling kids. Our suburban gets 20 mpg on the highway and has much more room. The pilot is also lacking in cargo room as compared to our suburban. However, the OP's choices were between the pilot and highlander. When we were looking and comparing, the pilot won out by a small margin, so we went with it instead of the highlander. It's a great vehicle and extremely reliable. I've heard the transmissions will start giving you fits after about 160,000 miles and ours is not an exception. There's definite transmission noise that we have been hearing for the last few months. When it gets real bad, I'll pull it and rebuild it myself as I did our Honda Accord. There's also a recall on the brake system for the Pilots in question (2004-2006). Hope that helps seafire. I'm sure you will make a sound decision..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Love to find a 2003-2005 3/4 ton suburban with 8.1 liter in ie 496 chevy man oh man talk about some serious horsepower but [bleep] gas mileage but hey life is short to worry about that.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
S
Seafire Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
had a friend just sell an 03 Suburban with some big monster gas guzzlin engine in it...250K on it....

Looked a bunch of Pilots recently... really like the vehicle, but for some reason, all one can seem to find is the EX-L Models...
Leather ETC.... Too much "Yuppie Crap" for my tastes....

I helped a woman load one over at Costco a few months ago, she has a huge flat cart full of stuff and had her 90 yr old mother with her in a walker, so Seafire Jr and I loaded her heavy stuff into a Pilot, that was pretty spartan inside... gather that was just the LX model, which you can't find... either they didn't sell many or the owners just aren't letting them go...

We decided to go with a Highlander, an 05 with 115K on it...got it for a pretty decent price...at my age, putting 20K a year on a rig, and how long Toyotas last.. I figure this thing will easily give us a 5 to 6 year service life....easily...

but I admit, I am going to keep my eyes open for a Pilot LX.. liked the several that I drove... minus the leather etc...with what I am going to use it for... that stuff would just get torn up...

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by ConradCA

My mom had a honda fit and it was terrible. Under powered and a suspension system that let you hate every bump.

Normally I'd not have bought the Fit. We were considering a CR-V, or Subaru at the time. My son bought the Fit new, within 6 months got his GF pregnant and got married. My wife and I gave him our old Ford Focus to cover his down payment, paid off the loan on the Fit and have been driving it since 2010. You're right, not the best suspension, and underpowered on hills. But it does fine for our uses, was cheap, perfectly reliable, and gets 40 mpg if driven at the speed limit.

I still have my truck which has plenty of power and comfort and we bought a used Jeep Wrangler with the money we saved to use as a toy instead of just having the truck and either a CR-V or Subaru.

Not our original plan, but it seems to have worked out well for everyone involved.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Back In 2010 late fall we were up on the haul road caribou hunting and here comes these guys in a honda truck forget what they are called and towing a trailer they were hunting. Haul road is big truck country. I know one thing they were probably getting better gas meage than the rest of us.:)

Last edited by 79S; 10/14/14.

Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm saving up for a Avalanche beetches! grin

Jed York does not own the 49ers; Russell Wilson does.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
With a 2k pound rear mounted winch with three miles of cable.

Jed York does not own the 49ers; Russell Wilson does.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 79S
Back In 2010 late fall we were up on the haul road caribou hunting and here comes these guys in a honda truck forget what they are called and towing a trailer they were hunting. Haul road is big truck country. I know one thing they were probably getting better gas meage than the rest of us.:)

An old 12 valve Dodge cummins probably gets just as good of mileage and tows better and I'm sure gets around better on old roads like that..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Diesel on the haul road is $5.35 a gal that was two yrs ago. With temps dropping below 0 at night in October I rather have a gasser. Most guys take portable generators for their diesels. Another one is a garbage can lid bag of kingsford charcoal. Anyhow one day when you grow up come on up I will take you on a adventure you will never forget.

S
Seafire Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Using these as a non heavy off roading machine, around town and forest service road use, is it worth going with the 4WD over the 2WD?

Doesn't seem like a "real" 4WD to me...and FWD will get me thru about what anything that mother nature would throw at ya around here....

worse than that, then one needs to be at home and off the hwys anyway....its the other guy/idiots who have no clue how to drive in bad weather that ya have to watch out for here in S. Oregon...

The 2WD version is supposed to get better MPG is why I ask..

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

517 members (1936M71, 17CalFan, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 1lesfox, 10ring1, 46 invisible), 1,795 guests, and 1,043 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,180
Posts18,465,632
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.