Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
I have had my 69 for a few months now, I have ran a few hundred rounds through it of various levels and I love it....except for the trigger. It's atrocious; easily the worst trigger in my stable. SA isn't bad but DA is horribly heavy, creepy, etc. It is time to resolve this.

Would you guys send it back to S&W or do you recommend another gunsmith?

GB1

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Dry fire it a few thousands times and see if it doesn't smooth out a bit. A few hundred rounds is negligible in terms of smoothing out a handguns action. A set of Wolff springs can be a good addition if dry firing doesn't get you there.

Last edited by Oregon45; 10/26/14.
W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
Dry firing hasn't done as much as I hoped it would. It has spent countless nights in the chair with me while I watched TV just snapping away. Not much difference...still horrible.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
The Wolff spring pack may help, when you open the gun up you might look at the internals under magnification to see if there are any obvious burrs or high spots. Smoothing those with emery cloth, taking care not to alter any angles, can be helpful as well.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
If you decide to DIY try Jerry Miculeck's video on S&W trigger jobs. You'd need a couple of stones from Brownell's, maybe some spring swaps but well worth the effort in improving the trigger pull.

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

IC B2

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Funny that I used to have to do or have an action job done on most every Smith I ever owned until the MIM parts replaced the case hardened ones. Since then the only thing I have had to do is replace the original trigger return spring with one of 13#.

Nothing "gritty" at all with any of the DA trigger pulls...

Personal opinion...call S&W and tell them how disappointed you are and see what they say...

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
On my #69, the pivot pin for the hand was rubbing on the frame.
It was too long, an extended too far beyond the trigger, rubbing the frame. A couple of passes with a stone fixed it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've gotta do something with the trigger on my model 69, too. It's smooth and crisp enough, but dang that pull is heavy.

Needs a taller front sight, also.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
spring change is the quickest fix for your pistol

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The model 69 has MIM internals, the action should be butter smooth. Spring weight from the box is heavy, but the action should be really, really smooth. If it's rough and gritty or jerky that's really out of character for an MIM gun.

Dry firing will not likely clean up the action on an MIM gun. The MIM internals are H A R D ! !

If the action is really gritty/jerky, then I'd send it back to S&W. If it's just stiff, I'd pick up a spring kit and give that a test drive.

New MIM S&W's should be very smooth right out of the box. MIM has made S&W's DA revolvers the smoothest they've been since before WW II.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bruinruin
I've gotta do something with the trigger on my model 69, too. It's smooth and crisp enough, but dang that pull is heavy.

Needs a taller front sight, also.
Easy Peasy, just pick up a spring kit and you're GTG.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Anyone got a link to a spring kit that they feel confident recommending?

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by GunGeek
The model 69 has MIM internals, the action should be butter smooth.

New MIM S&W's should be very smooth right out of the box. MIM has made S&W's DA revolvers the smoothest they've been since before WW II.

All of the above including dry firing do not apply to the S&W Model 69.

It is the worst Smith I have ever handled/shot, makes Rugers feel 'Butter Smooth'. A spring kit will help, but it will need a trigger job.

Jerry

Si vis pacem, para bellum
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
A friend just ordered a 629 and it has the worst trigger I've ever felt on a S&W. I'd wanted a 69 for a 44 special gun, but I'm starting to back off my decision now.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Oregon45
Dry fire it a few thousands times and see if it doesn't smooth out a bit. A few hundred rounds is negligible in terms of smoothing out a handguns action. A set of Wolff springs can be a good addition if dry firing doesn't get you there.
If it's a hammer mounted firing pin, do not dry fire extensively without snap caps. You will damage the firing pin hole in the frame.

W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
If it's a hammer mounted firing pin, do not dry fire extensively without snap caps. You will damage the firing pin hole in the frame.

That's rich...I take it you aren't familiar with the Model 69?

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by War_Eagle
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

That's rich...I take it you aren't familiar with the Model 69?
I am, but I was commenting on the general recommendation to work-in a double action S&W revolver action via thousands of dry fires.

Frame mounted firing pins (like that on a 69) are OK to dry fire without snap caps.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jerrywoodswalker
Originally Posted by GunGeek
The model 69 has MIM internals, the action should be butter smooth.

All of the above including dry firing do not apply to the S&W Model 69.

It is the worst Smith I have ever handled/shot, makes Rugers feel 'Butter Smooth'. A spring kit will help, but it will need a trigger job.

Jerry
Are you saying it doesn't apply to the model across the board? Or just your 69.

If it's just your gun, then what I said applies; there's something wrong because it should be very smooth.

If you're saying it's the entire model line; that just doesn't make sense.

If YOUR model 69 has a really bad action, send it back to S&W and they should make it right. It ought to be pretty darned smooth.

I'm a gunsmith, so it costs me ZERO dollars to do a trigger job. I don't even bother on the MIM guns anymore, they're GTG right out of the box. Many object to how stiff the springs are, so swapping springs makes sense.

So that should tell you that if your 69 is really bad, something is amiss and ought to go back to S&W.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Kevin,

I've got a couple of MIM S&W's (and a few non-MIM S&W's) and what you say regarding the MIM's smoothness in my experience is true of all... but the Model 69. My personal experience is only a sample of two, mine and another one I tried at the LGS. I have read over at the S&W forum the same complaint that I have. Maybe you're right, Find a shop that has some in stock (shouldn't be hard in the Reno area,.. I have only seen the two referenced above in my area) & try a couple and get back to us with first hand experience with the model being discussed.

I still like the Model 69 and recommend it (with a trigger job). It is kind of a draw between my 625 45acp (which is so handy with moon clips and load versatility) but the compact size of the Model 69 and approx. 6 ounces less weight make it very handy to pack... it may very well sideline my 625.

Jerry

Last edited by jerrywoodswalker; 10/28/14.

Si vis pacem, para bellum
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by jerrywoodswalker
Kevin,

I've got a couple of MIM S&W's (and a few non-MIM S&W's) and what you say regarding the MIM's smoothness in my experience is true of all... but the Model 69. My personal experience is only a sample of two, mine and another one I tried at the LGS. I have read over at the S&W forum the same complaint that I have. Maybe you're right, Find a shop that has some in stock (shouldn't be hard in the Reno area) & try a couple and get back to us with first hand experience with the model being discussed.

I still like the Model 69 and recommend it (with a trigger job). It is kind of a draw between my 625 45acp (which is so handy with moon clips and load versatility) but the compact size of the Model 69 and approx. 6 ounces less weight make it very handy to pack... it may very well sideline my 625.

Jerry
One with a 2.5" barrel would be tempting (loaded with Specials) as a carry piece. Even better with a scandium frame. Do that, and get rid of that hole in the frame, and I'd almost certainly be a customer.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

498 members (007FJ, 163bc, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 160user, 17CalFan, 47 invisible), 2,145 guests, and 1,137 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,603
Posts18,454,790
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.