Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by cotis
Update: today couldn't have gone much better. This afternoon I successfully made over a dozen mag bodies and tabs. A new 30 gallon air compressor borrowed from a friend along with some Hornady one shot case lube made all the difference in the world. I still need to machine the slot in these, glue in the tabs, and do some minor fitting but I couldn't be happier with today's work.

I have some work things that will prevent me from doing much on this, especially next week, but I hope to get today's parts finished before then. I will start contacting people on the waiting list when that happens.

Chaz,

I really appreciate all of the hard work. I know your primary motivation was the millions of dollars to be made in making one-off magazine parts for a disount rifle - still I think a small part of the motivation was to help your fellow shooters.

Regards,
David

BP-B6

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
If you're still doing this, I'll gladly take 4 please!

C
cotis Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Tako,
Still doing this. I'll put you on the list.

Welcome to TN - patron state of shootin’ stuff
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Put me on the list for 5 of them....Thanks!!

I will take two. My new 300 BLK has the same problem as described on the 223's

IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
@Cotis

I will take two. Please put me on the list. Thank you for your ingenuity.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
just a plug for Chaz...

I got 2 of them on the initial offering...

I am thrilled with my two... I highly recommend them to anyone owning a Ruger American in 223... Mine is a Ruger American Predator...

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
They are nice. He spent a bunch of money and tons of time with R&D. I wish him the best. His mag extension takes the rifle to the next level.

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I'll take two as well. I'm ready to start in with the heavies and see what this rig can do.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Cotis,

Please put me on the list for 2!

Thank you sir!!!!

IC B3

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Any update??

Thanks tAKo

C
cotis Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Latest update:
First off, I was sick all last weekend so I didn't do anything other than sleep, rest and watch TV. I am back up and going now.

I purposely made the decision never to take money in advance for orders because life has a way of happening. Well, it has. My wife has accepted a new job starting at the first of the year, only it's in a different state 10 hours away. So my nice plan of taking the last 3 weeks of the year off to do some hunting, resting, making parts, etc. is blown out the window. Now I am spending that time helping her move, etc. We have a good marriage but this will be a new experience doing the long distance thing for a while.

The good news is I will have plenty of time come 2015 to make parts! Until then my time is limited so I humbly ask for your patience. I am open to selling the entire setup if anyone is interested.

Thanks,
Chaz

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Well glad you're doing better now, always a nasty sickness this time of the year. Like you said "Life has a way of happening" so I understand that things come up, and no one can get mad at that! Hope the move goes smoothly, and your wife enjoys her new job. Also hope that you enjoy the holidays, and all works out nicely.

I'm in no hurry to receive these, just got bored at work, figured I'd see how the production was coming along. Really appreciated the update!

Thanks, tAKo

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Glad you're doing well

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
This is a little off the topic but I.ve searched and can't find anything.I have a American in .243 that has feeding issues the second shell doesn't move up in the magazine.I called Ruger they are sending me a new magazine said I could keep the old one. I want to try to fix it any tips for taking it apart and putting it back together any flying pieces to watch out for?

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by willycc
This is a little off the topic but I.ve searched and can't find anything.I have a American in .243 that has feeding issues the second shell doesn't move up in the magazine.I called Ruger they are sending me a new magazine said I could keep the old one. I want to try to fix it any tips for taking it apart and putting it back together any flying pieces to watch out for?

Wait for Cotis to reply. In a pm he told me there is a trick to taking them apart w/o breaking the tabs but I don't know what it is. I had already broken the tabs on my old base, but because I had Cotis's replacement base I didn't care.

David

C
cotis Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Willycc, sounds like you have a defective magazine somehow. The part I make only works on .223 magazines.

I have found a pretty consistent way of taking them apart, but it is not foolproof. Depending on how careful and patient you are directly determines your success. The temperature of the plastic also makes a difference. Colder makes it more brittle and prone to breakage. Warm the mag using a hair dryer or hot water before disassembly.

There are three tabs holding the two portions together (the tabs lock into the holes on the sides of the mag). There is one tab on the left and two on the right. DO NOT MESS WITH THE TABS ON THE RIGHT! pretty much guaranteed to break at least one of them if you do. I push in the tab on the left with a small screwdriver while pulling on the rear of the mag. Don't push in on tab too hard as you will stress and break it. You are going for the absolute minimum force required to release it from the locking hole. You are trying to release just the left side by pulling back on the rear portion of the mag (basically twisting it slightly counter-clockwise when looking at the mag from the top, front of mag at 12 o'clock).

Once the left tab is free continued rotation counter-clockwise will allow the right tabs to unlock from their holes and release the rear portion. Reassembly is easier, just get the follower point in the hole on the rear portion and snap the rear directly forward onto the front.

It helps to have three hands for this procedure so I usually secure the mag in a vice with just enough tension to hold it securely. I also use a fired shell casing to hold the mag follower down so it doesn't unwind and pop out when you separate the mag. The pictures below show all of this.

Mag in vice with shell casing holding follower down:
[Linked Image]

Pressing in left tab:
[Linked Image]

Rotating rear portion off:
[Linked Image]

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Thank you. I'am not going to try anything till I have the other mag.The spring seems a little weak in this one. Don't know if I can fix it but I'll give it a try. Thanks Again
Bill

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by shortactionsmoker
For reference... Here is a 75 A-Max loaded .010" INTO the lands. You won't be shooting bullets much longer than this...

[Linked Image]

IIRC....the round was loaded at 2.41". It looks as if there is too much space, but that's not the case. There is a slight bevel inside the mag box that can't been seen in the picture. I know there is a minimum of 2.5" of usable mag space. I'll get a max measurement later today...

Just got a 16"-barreled Ruger American Ranch today. Jammed a long-loaded A-Max into the lands and it came out with COL of 2.525". Wonder if the Ranch has more freebore since it's chambered in "5.56"?? Should be perfect with the mag extension.

Member darrenk75b was kind enough to give up his extensions since he doesn't have a RAR yet. They should be in the mail now and I have a VX2 3-9x40 with CDS in the mail headed here also.

Can't wait to wring it out with the suppressor.

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I'm at 2.445 in my 22" all weather RAR w/ 75 Amax's at a light Kiss. Have heard longer and shorter - it all work's w/ Chaz's mag extension.

David

Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
171 members (257 mag, 2UP, 10Glocks, 300jimmy, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 14 invisible), 1,470 guests, and 832 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,592
Posts18,397,908
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.