Hop To
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Originally Posted by eh76
Originally Posted by Tracks
Originally Posted by huntsman22
You mean people don't change their own oil anymore?

My car still has several services available as part of the purchase plan, and for my 06 Dodge diesel it's actually cheaper to have the dealer do it.

Yep cheaper to have it done than do it myself, then have to find a place to dispose of the oil.
My 08 Dodge Cummins takes 12 qts of oil. If I use Mobile 1 Turbo Diesel from Walmart, it costs me about $75 for the oil and maybe $15 for a filter. There are a number of auto parts places that will take used oil for free. I don't know of any place that will do it for $90.

Ford dealership changes mine for $95 including lubrication, oil, filter, multi point inspection and tire rotation. I simply would not do it for that.

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
BP-B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Local Dodge dealers send out discount coupons fairly ofter. My truck is only used these days for hunting trips, a few times a year to tow a trailer, and severe winter driving when I want to leave the Mustang in the Garage. Twice a year service is about my average. I'm retired so a few hours getting it done is no problem.
I'll leave the "do it yourself" crap to those who enjoy such things.

you have a Mustang ? shocked

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If I had a piece of Chevy, I'd certainly let the dealer do it. That way they could fix the recalls every 3,000 miles as well...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Local Dodge dealers send out discount coupons fairly ofter. My truck is only used these days for hunting trips, a few times a year to tow a trailer, and severe winter driving when I want to leave the Mustang in the Garage. Twice a year service is about my average. I'm retired so a few hours getting it done is no problem.

Yeah '13 model, had it about 20 months, 17k miles, don't drive it much either.

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
I change the oil in my Cummins, wife's SUV and my daily beater. The main reason is so I can choose the oil brand/weight and put on a decent filter which most of the time is Purolator or Wix/Napa.

With the goons at the stealership or Jiffy Lube there's no telling what you will get.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by UNCCGrad
I change the oil in my Cummins, wife's SUV and my daily beater. The main reason is so I can choose the oil brand/weight and put on a decent filter which most of the time is Purolator or Wix/Napa.

With the goons at the stealership or Jiffy Lube there's no telling what you will get.

unless you know them....

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

details man,,,,details...pard bought one of those 650 HP? models....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Before I retired I had a company F350 that had to be ready to go anywhere in the Western US at a moments notice. I had a local Ford dealer that I had a clear understanding with, that I didn't want to pick up my truck after service and find out it needed something
If anything needed was under $500, just do it.
If more than that call me.
Every 5K miles for 245K it went in and came out the way I wanted. If Ford had not discontinued the 7.3 Turbo I'd be driving one instead of the Dodge.
When the time came to buy a car, guess which dealer I went to.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I used to change mine, but I've gotten too old and my knees are too bad for me to jump up and down on top of the vehicle while pounding my chest and letting out primal screams to let everyone know what an alpha male I am.

Also, howinhell has this thread gone on this long without a full-out assault on Fram filters? This place is really slipping.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

details man,,,,details...pard bought one of those 650 HP? models....

More like 305 Hp for me, I've rented a few of the GT models in the past and learned that the power to weight ratio is not a good thing for a guy who is used to trucks and SUVs.
They spin out real easy if you got a heavy foot. Anyway I drove to California last year and never got less than 31 mpg, mostly 34 or 35

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Always changed my own except when working out of state and had no where to do it. That few times never once looking under afterwards was the drive line greased.
Had to go back and make then do it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by huntsman22
You mean people don't change their own oil anymore?
'

uhh guilty here, if I don't have one of my sons do it then I do.

the 21 year old doesn't think he needs any more practice

but I still got the 16 year old buffaloed, for awhile

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Take it to your local dealer. Mine charges $35, uses good materials and rotates the tires. When I have time off I sure as chittt am not going to spend it under a truck. No brainer for me.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I do oil changes on 4 dirtbikes, a jeep wrangler, my truck my wifes honda and a nissan altima, 2 riding mowers a push mower and also service and fix my 2 outboard motors. I enjoy doing it on everything BUT the honda element. I have popeye forarmes and the oil filter makes me mad as hell every time, i can barely get my arm in there to loosen it. I cuss like a sailor when I'm doing it and in a bad mood for the next hour or so. I swear evertytime in gonna take it to the garage down the street but everytime I end up doing it myself.

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
My Hummer is a really nice vehicle. It also has the dumbest oil filter location I have seen. Remove two skid plates (not too hard, just a PITA), snake your hand up bast the front axle, and SOMEHOW loosen the oil filter. JUST enough room. THEN comes my favorite part. Tilt it over, spilling the oil in it down your forearm. They DID think enough ahead to provide a little plastic drain channel on top of the axle, though. Guess I shouldn't complain....Gotta admit - I DO cuss a bit on those oil changes.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't do my own any more. Just can't crawl around under the truck like I used to. 'Got a mechanic down the street who does a complete oil chance including lube and filter for $20.00. If I give him a gallon jug he gives me back my old oil to use for bar and chain oil for the chainsaw.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Yep the oil down the arm aggrivates me too. But the kicker is when I have to tilt the filter isn't the oil down the arm its the fact that it runs all over the place and there's noplace specific to put your drain pan. Its gonna get all in the floor period, doesn't matter what you do. Next time I'm taking it to the garage downthe street.

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Growing up poor I learned to change my oil, and rebuild engines too, out of necessity.

All my vehicles run on full synthetic oil, Amsoil in this case, and oil changes are few and far between. Both my GMC Sierra 2500 HD with the diesel engine and the 2008 GMC 1500 with the cute little 4.8L V-8 gasoline engine run on Amsoil 5W-30 Series 3000 HD Disel Oil. Stuff costs around $9.00 a quart with the discount, or $108 for the 12 quarts to fill the diesel engine and bypass filters.

In the diesel I run an oil analysis every 7,500 miles, and have never had a single result where the oil wasn't suitable for continued use after three tests or 22,500 to 25,000 miles. This truck is equipped with a dual bypass filtration system that protects the oil allowing indefinite oil change intervals. This DuraMax engine is very easy on oil, where 16 ounces are consumed about every 5K to 6K miles, if that.

While the Series 3000 oil is a bit of an overkill for the garage queen Sierra 1500, this engine has yet to consume any oil at all after 6k miles. This truck is equipped with an Amsoil filter good for 25K miles.

Both trucks are equipped with FuMoto oil drain valves equipped with a plastic tube and shutoff so I can drain the hot used oil directly into one gallon jugs provided by the garbage collection and recycling company. They also provide plastic bags for the used oil filters. Both are picked up with the recycle bin.

I recall that there was quite a controversy on one of TV stations awhile ago about fraudulent practices by some oil change stores. If I were to have someone else do an oil change for me, I'd head back to the dealership, where they warranty their work. Every month we receive discount coupons for service from the dealer that just about make it too expensive to DIY. But being particular, and fearing they will accidently contaminate my Amsoil coolant with Dexcool, I'll just plug along.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have a BMW Z4 the oil change recommendation is 15000 miles. Would you?

Originally Posted By: P_Weed

I never met a gun I didn't like.

SEdge,

I have an AMT Hardballer I can fix you up with.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by benchman
My Hummer is a really nice vehicle. It also has the dumbest oil filter location I have seen. Remove two skid plates (not too hard, just a PITA), snake your hand up bast the front axle, and SOMEHOW loosen the oil filter. JUST enough room. THEN comes my favorite part. Tilt it over, spilling the oil in it down your forearm. They DID think enough ahead to provide a little plastic drain channel on top of the axle, though. Guess I shouldn't complain....Gotta admit - I DO cuss a bit on those oil changes.

would be worth the time to do a remote filter mount...

did that to a friends car, that you had to be a contortionist and 4 ft 5 inches to get to the filter... had a spot on one side of the engine bay, and mounted a 2 quart truck filter...that is what he wanted...

made life simpler, that was for sure... and doing the mounting was really no more difficult that one filter change...

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
803 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 1234, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 007FJ, 80 invisible), 3,203 guests, and 1,317 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,710
Posts18,400,171
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.