Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
In January Accurate (Western Powders) will be coming out with a new powder called LT-30 that is a bit faster burn rate than the recently introduced LT-32.

The new LT-30 is going to be in the 4198 burn rate with a few claimed advantages over current offerings.

Nice to see more options for shooters, believe this is going to be made in Canada like the LT-32

BP-B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yeah, it sounds pretty good. I'm supposed to get a sample pretty soon to play with.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
N
NTG Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
So...what claimed advantages does it have over current offerings besides not having to get on a boat in Australia?

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by NTG
So...what claimed advantages does it have over current offerings besides not having to get on a boat in Australia?

Easy to light single based powder that meters like a ball powder. They also claim half the lot-to-lot variation of the competitors.

Is it true? I don't know. We will have to wait for John's report.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Along with the same temperature-resistance of LT-32.

More and more powder makers are offering temp-resistant brands these days, and yes, that is an advantage even beyond not having to get powders from Australia. More competition in any sort of product is always good.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
Right now, I'd settle for some 1680. I've held off handloading for my year-old .17 Hornet because I'm running really short of 1680. Initial results for pullitoutmykazoo loads were good, but I need to verify, and chrono, the things, without powder to re-charge the ammo, there's not much point in fooling with it, OR, my .22 Hornet, for that matter. mad

Why heck, I've even had to resort to shooting factory ammo so I wouldn't run completely out of the stuff! shocked And in case you guys missed it, THAT stuff ain't growin' on trees, either! cry

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
ratsmacker,

One of the surprises in the .17 Hornet is H4198. In my rifle , a 22" barreled CZ, it gets over 3500 with the 20-grain V-Max and accuracy is very close to 1680.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ratsmacker
Right now, I'd settle for some 1680. I've held off handloading for my year-old .17 Hornet because I'm running really short of 1680. Initial results for pullitoutmykazoo loads were good, but I need to verify, and chrono, the things, without powder to re-charge the ammo, there's not much point in fooling with it, OR, my .22 Hornet, for that matter. mad

Why heck, I've even had to resort to shooting factory ammo so I wouldn't run completely out of the stuff! shocked And in case you guys missed it, THAT stuff ain't growin' on trees, either! cry

H110, which is fairly easy to get here, will do a good job in the .22 Hornet with standard SP primers. Worth a try, anyway. Better than $60 a box.

What fresh Hell is this?
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
ratsmacker,

One of the surprises in the .17 Hornet is H4198. In my rifle , a 22" barreled CZ, it gets over 3500 with the 20-grain V-Max and accuracy is very close to 1680.

Do you think then that LT 30 will be a good fit in the 17 Hornet? May be another option.

[Linked Image]
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Might be. It's one application I'll have to try after getting my hands on a sample.

John Steinbeck
IC B3

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
I DO have some IMR-4198 grin , it's all I could find locally. I can reduce the H-4198 load a bit and work with it, when time allows.

Unfortunately, I'm in the middle of a move, and I've got to put all my loading gear into storage for maybe a year. (Just got married, and we're rehabilitating her house so's I can get my stuff in there. It's amazing how much loading gear a bachelor can accumulate in 40 years of handloading, and HOW MUCH THAT STUFF WEIGHS shocked ). I married 'late in life', but life's an adventure, so I'm not fussing about that, only the work involved in rehabbing the bride's property, and the year I'll lose doing so.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Originally Posted by ratsmacker

H110, which is fairly easy to get here, will do a good job in the .22 Hornet with standard SP primers. Worth a try, anyway. Better than $60 a box.

Luckily, I had a bunch of .22 Hornet already loaded before I found my .17 Hornet, but I did manage to find a box of PRVI Partisan .22 Hornet at a gunshow for $40 or thereabouts. I bought it to tinker with the cases after firing it up. I hear a lot of mixed reviews about it, but the price was right.

I THINK the local funshop still has some old stock WW .22 Hornet ammo priced $29.95, too, which is where I got my initial .22 Hornet brass.
I also finally (after 7 months on backorder) got a case of .17 Hornet ammo from Midway last summer. I'm not bereft of ammo, but I like to keep plenty around in case a prairie dog trip offers itself.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
ratsmacker,

The IMR4198 might work even better!

Good luck on the marriage, the house and getting everything set up. The last time we moved was 16 years ago, and while I had plenty of reloading stuff, there wasn't as much as there is now. Because it's part of my business, setting up the new loading room was a priority, but it still took a month!

John Steinbeck
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Mule Deer

What has been your prefered primer in the 17 Hornet?

Look forward to your reviews on playing with the LT 30. Hope the weather allows for some fair test conditions soon after you are able to pick up that powder.

Originally Posted by Mule Deer
ratsmacker,

love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control

& Proverbs 21:19
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Mule Deer

Would either of these powders be good for loading in a M1 Garand?

I have been using H4895 but getting low not sure what powder is available locally so keeping my options open.

Thanks for all information / knowledge you share with us on the fire.

358win

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Mule Deer

Would either of these powder be okay to load in a M1 Garand? I currently use H4895 and need get some more powder. Not sure what is available locally so keeping my options open.
Thanks for all the information / knowledge you share with uson the fire.

358win

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Originally Posted by NTG

Easy to light single based powder that meters like a ball powder. They also claim half the lot-to-lot variation of the competitors.

Is it true? I don't know. We will have to wait for John's report.

LT32 is an awesomely accurate powder in the pair of 223's I have. Velocity out of a 24" tube runs right at 3150 w/52's. Meters excellent, lot to lot variations are almost nil, as in 5-10 FPS for the same charge. Have shot in conditions from 25 degrees to 90 degrees with no drastic swings in performance.
According to Accurate it's only 5 steps slower than 4198.
Have read good things about LT30 in the 30BR, but just like LT32 it's designed for the bench rest calibers. Currently know of the only load data out is for 223, 6PPC, 6BR etc. but do believe HawkI used it in his duece with good results.

Swifty
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Hunterapp,

I started with Remington 7-1/2's and results were so good I kept using them.

But a few months ago I bought a bunch of Tula small-rifle primers, because the price was so good I couldn't pass 'em up. The only I've tried them in so far have been the .17 Fireball and .22 Hornet, and they worked so well I'm betting they'll do fine in the .17 Hornet too.

John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
358Win,

They'd probably work in the Garand, but you should contact Western Powders and ask them.

Another you might want to try is the new IMR4166, which is starting to become available right now, since the burn-rate is similar to 4895, or maybe a hair slower.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Thanks John

I have consider the new IMR 4166 powder

Thanks again

358win

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
700 members (10gaugemag, 257Bob, 257 roberts, 222Sako, 222ND, 16penny, 74 invisible), 2,743 guests, and 1,344 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,627
Posts18,398,735
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.