Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
I've been looking at some old Parker and LC Smith doubles, in both 16 and 20 gauge If condition and grade are similar, which gun would you prefer? How do they compare in value/ Which is the better gun? Your opinions appreciated!

Last edited by minnmarcus; 11/01/14.
GB1

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Parker A1 Special for me.

However to answer your question a little better here is my opinion based on owning and shooting a few of each. The Parker is a heavier gun then the LC Smith. So depending on your build and strength one might be better then the other for your swing and control. If you like the look of sideplates then the LC Smith would be for you. They do tend to crack stocks but with proper care and maintenance it wouldn't really worry me. For the most part grades are just better wood and engraving. If you like box lock's then the Parker would be for you.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Hell, I'd be satisfied with a lowly DHE 28gauge and you have to have an A1 Special. grin

Had a chance to own Rudy Etchens 28ga Parker. Beautiful and balanced. Only problem was the $30,000 sticker.

Parker wins the race everyday of the week on looks in that they are both relatively dependable. Sideplates are a problem waiting to happen.

Last edited by battue; 11/01/14.

laissez les bons temps rouler
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Is there anything that you can do to keep,the sideplates from cracking the stock?

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I would think the wood edges could be glass bedded by a good stock man and you wouldn't be able to tell.

Last edited by battue; 11/01/14.

IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
The weakness of older sidelocks occurs when the wood shrinks or swells, along with too much oil seeping into the cut and softening the wood.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I am still kicking myself for not buying the Repro A1 Specials in the White that CSMC was selling.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Save the troubles with both and buy a Fox!!

Andrew
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I have never had a problem with any of the Parkers I have owned. If I were looking to buy a classic American double it would be another Model 21.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I was just joking though the Parker and LC Smith designs are a good bit more complicated and generally spoke about as less reliable then a Fox... or a Win 21.

Andrew
IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
A man who uses a Smith gun is typically someone to whom women are attracted, dogs listen to, and always need to find people to take their excess of game birds. Parker men are simply unfortunate souls who never were able to step up to the best. Fox shooters plainly wish they were allowed to carry the guns of their Parker and Smith shooting friends as they make their way around the course. (And they all pray to their Maker each night their thanks that they aren't saddled with Winchesters, Lefevers, Merkels, Purdeys, Hollands, et al.) whistle grin grin

Truth: they're all good and represent quality and workmanship rarely found in this world anymore. (Except the Smith might be a shade better.) Close your eyes and pick one. Literally. Heft similar models side-by-side and see which one speaks to you. Gun fit, condition, and balance that suits you is more important than which brand you seek out. Swing on a few targets with each choice (if allowed) and take it from there. Just bear in mind that Smith guns gain you a few extra brownie points when seeking admission at the Pearly Gates. smile

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Parker shooters always have a ready market for when they want to trade up. Smith shooters take a loss and then go looking for a Parker.

Which then makes it easier for the Parker people to sell theirs. grin

Last edited by battue; 11/04/14.

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Thanks for the input guys. Sounds like about equally divided. As far as side locks not being dependable and cracking stocks, I have an old Baker Batavia that has great wood, no cracks, that looks like it has been shot quite a bit. I did have to have one side lock adjusted though, as it was barely touching the primer (firing pin). After which I took it on a dove shoot, and was instantly impressed on how the gun handled and shot. I had bought it to re sell, and now I might have to keep it!
Have looked at a nice little LC Smith 20 that feels like a feather in my hands and seems to fit very well. Condition about 75%, they're asking $1300. Field grade gun. Does that sound about right? They're all over the price spectrum on Gun Broker.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
If I had the jingle in my pocket and I wanted that 20, I would probably say the heck with and buy it. Price not bad, not great, but not bad.

To alleviate the potential for cracking the head of a Smith stock, just relieve a RCH of wood from behind the locks. Do it low in the inlet, leaving a whisper of wood touching the side plate on the exterior so as to preserve the appearance of a tight fit. Ditto at the back end of the top tang. Guys who use their Smith guns for lots of shooting often go to the trouble of epoxy bedding the heads of the stock. Whether to do that or not is usually driven by concerns over authenticity/collector value. I say do it, unless it's a 100% minty original piece or a very rare graded model.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I love the Parker, but prefer the Elise over any of the older doubles. I have both a 12 and 16 ga LC Smith . Two foxes taken with the 12 and two coyotes with the 16 ga

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
For simplistic durability, Fox, otherwise Parker.

Conduct is the best proof of character.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

555 members (10gaugemag, 1lesfox, 11point, 007FJ, 12344mag, 160user, 49 invisible), 2,521 guests, and 1,238 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,360
Posts18,468,953
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.