Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Have had several Honda 4 wheelers. Bought a new Foreman 450 ES FE in '02.I use it primarily in Northern Wisconsin, Blue hills area. I don't look for mud..., but have been in some bad holes. Must have a winch. BIL who logs in the area mentioned , also has the same machine, He has 15,000 miles on it. He maintains it, but pretty minimally.
The foreman has some features that are important to me.
No friggin' snowmobile belt, has a tranny.
No disc brakes , in mud in freezing weather the discs will freeze up and you will be walking. I mean severe weather.
One must have handle bar grip and thumb heaters.
The Foreman has straight rear axle, rides rough, but is dependable.
The new Foreman is liquid cooled ,and has power steering.
I don't care for the rubicon . I don't like the automatic tranny, and too big/ heavy.
There is no other atv made that will give the service a Honda will.
Have hauled a lot of guys outta the woods with lesser machines.
I also plow a 600 ft driveway with a 5' plow.
Just my experience.

Last edited by cisco1; 11/22/14.
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
The guys that know, choose Hondas because it's a long walk home when you're riding a Suzuki.

LOL
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Nothing bad to say about Honda. I have a 2001 Rancher ES 4x4 350.
Close to 10,000 miles on it now and never a problem. My next one will also be a Honda.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Never owned a Quad, what does S X S mean? Thanks

Jed York does not own the 49ers; Russell Wilson does.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I think the major brands of modern quads are all pretty good these days: Honda, Polaris, Yamaha, Arctic Cat, Suzuki, Kawasaki, and Bombardier. Pick your poison, for what you are describing any of them will do. My disclaimer is that I own a 99 Honda Foreman 400ES and a an 800 two up Polaris.

I will share my opinion based on personal experience and observations within my industry and area.

Most of what I see run in the resource sector are Honda Foremen - fleets of them. I asked why one time and was told they are cheaper to run and are more reliable. The knock on them is the solid rear axle makes for a tougher ride that fatigues one more over a full day. The standard transmission is bullet proof. They climb like a goat and with good tires are great in muskeg.

Artic Cat are good, have great ground clearance, and very reliable. Downside is that on very steep slopes they are more prone to tipping.

Lots of folks like Yamaha. The knock for industrial use is that the driveline, particularly the axles, are too light and prone to failure. Probably be okay for what you are describing. I don't like them as they are the only machine I've run that has stranded me - TWICE - and the only machine I've had to tow out (three times, all different machine from new to 5years old).

Bombardier are great to drive: power, handling, climbing, ride, etc - but are prone to break downs.

Polaris are kind of tweeners. Good ride, good power, good handling, good climbing, good reliability, etc, but not great at anything.

FWIW I would not buy another quad with over 500ccs - don't need the power and they burn more fuel.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have only owned Hondas and they are quite reliable. A side by side is what i suggest. My Great-Grandpa in law i guess loves his. he is 85 and loves his. Uses it to putt all over his property now that he doesn't really drive anymore and uses it to putt to the family houses up and down the road.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Pop has had a Yamaha Kodiak for about 14-15 years. It's pretty small, but light and easy to move around. The 4wd is nice.

It's been rock solid reliable pulling logs out of the woods, hauling a small trailer around the property and entertaining the grand kids.

I've no experience with the off road golf carts that are so popular these days, but I'd go Yamaha over any other.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by okok
Never owned a Quad, what does S X S mean? Thanks

Side by side...UTV.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

239 members (348srfun, 300_savage, 338reddog, 1_deuce, 260Remguy, 10gaugemag, 29 invisible), 2,239 guests, and 1,108 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,479
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.