Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by luv2safari
Originally Posted by 12344mag
[quote=bruinruin]

The hydrostat trans is a big + in my book.

YES! cool
+2 Hydro is awesome especially when doing loader work. Just a few things to share with you. You will need a lot more ballast behind the axle to safely do loader work. Also remember a tractor has no front brakes, so if you are carrying a load down an incline make sure it's in 4wd. If the rear tires come off the ground it's a ride from hell.

[Linked Image]

GB1

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Lots of good input here and it's much appreciated. As always, when I make a post looking for help/advice, I read and appreciate all constructive responses, so thanks to all who offered input.

I've been badgering my wife about my "need" for a tractor since about 2005 - shortly after we put in our house. I can see all sorts of projects and improvements that I can work on. High among them is rough grading and finishing off what we call our yard. I can see better shooting range backstops, graded walking/cross country ski paths through the woods and mostly, a big smile on my face where there used to be worry lines when a big snow was forecast.

Sounds kind of silly, but this kind of a small dream come true.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Sounds like you made a very good decision.. One tip (which you're most likely aware of anyway) ensure you have a source of #1 diesel when December 1st rolls around - especially if this tractor will be stored in an unheated shed.. In parts of the country like WI, MN, MI etc and temps can reach -20 pretty easily you won't be movin' any snow when your fuel is gelled..

Oh, and does this tractor have an engine heater of some kind? If so, use it when needed.. The starter and engine will appreciate it...

smile smile

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Hydrostatic drive can have parasitic losses in HP up to 25% but It's also much easier, faster to switch from forward to reverse and reliable. The MF brand is good and you should have no issues with parts or service.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
J
J23 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig
Hydrostatic drive can have parasitic losses in HP up to 25% but It's also much easier, faster to switch from forward to reverse and reliable. The MF brand is good and you should have no issues with parts or service.

I ended up choosing a 9x3 gear transmission. Though hydros making doing loader work significantly easier, I opted for the 9x3 because I do alot of plowing and discing, several acres worth, as well as pulling a wagon overloaded with firewood. I have heard stories of hydros overheating during those sorts of activities, doing nothing obviously for their longevity. I don't think there is a WRONG choice, there are good and bad points for each transmission type, just be sure to weigh all of the facts with the type of work you will be using your machine for.

"Ignorance is acceptable, because you can remedy it with knowledge and research. Stupidity is when you guard your ignorance."
Ted Nugent

"Idolizing a politician is like believing the stripper really likes you."
IC B2

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I'm one of the old timers with old equipment. I'm retired now, but had the same when I was working. A 1952 Ford 8N. At times I yearn for one those $30K green machines or Kabotas, but when they break, you have to send them to the shop . My old tractor,I can call up TSC and have a part in 24 hours, and fix it myself. Unless it stops running completely, I can always get $3500 out of it.

But you will like your MF

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Well, I got the tractor home last Wednesday. I think I picked absolute worst possible day to do it, though. It took me about 3 hours to drive 140 miles, mostly due to road conditions, but also because I got into some pretty heavy lake-effect snow for the last 50 miles.

Once I got loaded up, I decided to head straight East to get inland and hopefully, away from that damn lake-effect mess. It didn't work out so well. 6 hours after the last chain binder snapped into place I pulled into my driveway.

[Linked Image]

Now I have a question for you diesel tractor owners. This little machine is due for an oil change. I have the filter, but I'm curious about what to use for oil. The manual indicates that I should use 10W-30 for the temps in my area. I'd like to use a synthetic for better flow at low temps, but I'm having a little trouble finding a diesel rated oil in that viscosity. Mostly what I'm finding is Rotella 15W-45 in either dino or synthetic.

What are you owners of smaller diesel tractors using for engine oil?

Last edited by bruinruin; 11/26/14.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Any block heater, or heated garage ?

If so, Rotella T 15 /40 dino

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Nope, no block heater frown and cold shelter.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
bruinruin, sorry that I am late to see this thread because we have a tractor very much like the MF you show here - ours is a bit bigger. It is our "second" tractor - I use a much older and much bigger MF gas model for the heavier work here and we got this new one because it is very easy for my wife to operate and much handier for smaller tasks. It has proven to be well made (foreign made as with just about all current small ones) and we have experienced no manufacturing defects or uncommon troubles.

I use Rotella or Delo, as in my Dodge Cummins diesel and all is well. The only potential disappointments you may encounter are that lifting/pushing ability will more limited than you might expect (early breakout/stall compared with other/older tractor you may have used) and while working with snow removal on any uneven surfaces you will lose the 4WD traction rather easily due to early wheel spinning due to balance issues. That is where the smaller size of those front wheels becomes an issue. But, it should work a ton better than your ATV did.

It is a fun tractor - hope you enjoy it.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by bruinruin
Well, I got the tractor home last Wednesday. I think I picked absolute worst possible day to do it, though. It took me about 3 hours to drive 140 miles, mostly due to road conditions, but also because I got into some pretty heavy lake-effect snow for the last 50 miles.

Once I got loaded up, I decided to head straight East to get inland and hopefully, away from that damn lake-effect mess. It didn't work out so well. 6 hours after the last chain binder snapped into place I pulled into my driveway.

[Linked Image]

Now I have a question for you diesel tractor owners. This little machine is due for an oil change. I have the filter, but I'm curious about what to use for oil. The manual indicates that I should use 10W-30 for the temps in my area. I'd like to use a synthetic for better flow at low temps, but I'm having a little trouble finding a diesel rated oil in that viscosity. Mostly what I'm finding is Rotella 15W-45 in either dino or synthetic.

What are you owners of smaller diesel tractors using for engine oil?
I use JD 10-30 diesel (manual recommended) in my JD 4210.. At the same time, I rarely keep mine in the unheated shed in the winter when temps drop to 0F or below..

If your manual has a list of recommended oils and viscosities, I'd pick one from that list.. Otherwise, consider Mobil-1 diesel 5-40..

Last edited by Redneck; 11/26/14.

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thanks for the responses, guys. Much appreciated.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Ask your local hydraulic gurus about what they have available as a "Sock" that you drop into your sump, or a filter to scrub your tractor hydraulic system of the water that COLD starts, and operation in cold blowing snow conditions WILL inevitably accumulate. When you pull a level or drain plug and it hasn't got a magnet,....PUT ONE.

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by crossfireoops
Ask your local hydraulic gurus about what they have available as a "Sock" that you drop into your sump, or a filter to scrub your tractor hydraulic system of the water that COLD starts, and operation in cold blowing snow conditions WILL inevitably accumulate. When you pull a level or drain plug and it hasn't got a magnet,....PUT ONE.

That's good stuff, Greg. There's a couple hydraulic shops that I pass by on my way to work. I'll have to stop by and have a chat with them.

The magnet is a no-brainer that I hadn't thought of. blush

While I'm not a stranger to tractors, this is the first I've owned, so I'm trying to make sure I do this thing right.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
All hard-working property owners deserve to own a nice tractor with loader wink

My New Holland doing some snow removal

[Linked Image]

Here is 'ol blue doing deer food plot work

[Linked Image]

... and here we're about to go blade/level my 1/2 mile long driveway

[Linked Image]

My tractor was by far my single best investment since becoming a small property owner! Also, she's great for mowing in summer and firewood cutting in winter. Glad you got what you wanted! Have fun and keep it well maintained ... that little tractor will outlive all of us.

==================================================

I'm a proud member of the BGE cult ... yes, I consider myself an EGGHEAD
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Now that you have a tractor, you'll need to become a member on tractorbynet.com It's the best tractor site and group of folks you'll ever find on the internet. You'll get a solid answer to any of your tractor questions.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I'm having tractor envy. That's a heckuva nice rig, RickyBobby.

Is this how this tractor thing starts out? You buy what you think you need and then see one a little bigger and more capable and think, "hey, if I had one like that...." grin

Nah, I can't get caught up in that yet. I've only put 3 hours on my little rig and so far I love it. Like was mentioned earlier in this thread, I'm already finding unusual uses for the FEL. Just last weekend I loaded a large, used double hung window assembly in it and moved it to the more sheltered side of the barn. Beat the heck out of carrying that thing. Was fun, too. grin

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by bruinruin
I'm having tractor envy. That's a heckuva nice rig, RickyBobby.

Is this how this tractor thing starts out? You buy what you think you need and then see one a little bigger and more capable and think, "hey, if I had one like that...." grin

Nah, I can't get caught up in that yet. I've only put 3 hours on my little rig and so far I love it. Like was mentioned earlier in this thread, I'm already finding unusual uses for the FEL. Just last weekend I loaded a large, used double hung window assembly in it and moved it to the more sheltered side of the barn. Beat the heck out of carrying that thing. Was fun, too. grin

My tractor is around 70hp. I wanted something just big enough to handle round bales ... in case I'd ever take interest in making hay or owning a herd of cattle. Seriously doubt I ever do but didn't want the hassle of having to ever go buy a bigger tractor. As far as the cab, I have terrible allergies in spring and summer and it makes it very sweet for mowing during those times of year! Not to mention I can blade snow in dead of winter wearing only a t-shirt. grin My wife likes to sell or rotate out our vehicles every 5 years. So I skipped my turn for a new truck and convinced her to let me buy the tractor. Best decision ever! I have now owned my same truck for 12 years and have had the tractor since 2007. I could care less about getting to drive a new vehicle compared to the oppurtunity of owning such a nice tractor! In the end, we are now all happy!

==================================================

I'm a proud member of the BGE cult ... yes, I consider myself an EGGHEAD
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by gsganzer
Now that you have a tractor, you'll need to become a member on tractorbynet.com It's the best tractor site and group of folks you'll ever find on the internet. You'll get a solid answer to any of your tractor questions.

Funny you should say that because I just registered on that site this afternoon. Same handle.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Congrats on the tractor purchase! I can't imaging living on 40 acres without a tractor, I'd be hard pressed to live on 5 acres w/o a tractor.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

683 members (007FJ, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 1936M71, 01Foreman400, 163dm, 71 invisible), 3,085 guests, and 1,236 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,584
Posts18,454,243
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.