Print Thread
Hop To
L
logger Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
We live in a remote area and our house and both shops have metal roofs. We can only get one radio station (FM) inside the house or shops. We can get a few more from our car radios when they are parked outside (but reception is less than stellar). We are starting to explore either an inside or outside AM/FM radio antenna to provide us more options. It is not a big enough of a deal to go the Sirius Radio route. I also assume that some radios may have better reception capabilities. I would be interested in hearing experiences on improving AM/FM reception with antennas and/or radios.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]

Sorry,.., not much help.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A cheap rooftop TV antenna would work fine, especially if all or most of the stations are located in one direction from your shop. (They are fairly directional.)

Or an antenna from a junked car, for that matter. Mount on the roof and add a bit more coax cable to reach inside.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
The less radio, the better.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Deerwhacker444
[Linked Image]

Sorry,.., not much help.

Studying to hopefully get my ham license, so I had to look this one up. I believe this is the guts of that ham rig.

[Linked Image]

Clinging to my God, and my guns!
IC B2

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
there are lots of options, and the technology has improved greatly over the past years with the new HD/digital converter antennas. I picked up one off of ebay for our northern farm/lake house that has a metal roof. It has its own rotater, was only about $40, and works great in that remote area of no. WI. We added a Wilson antenna for the cell phone, and that's all we needed. Amazon, Radio Shack has lots of options to cure your problem as well.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by K_Salonek

Studying to hopefully get my ham license, so I had to look this one up. I believe this is the guts of that ham rig.

Sweet Mother of all things Holy....

And they want to give me a ticket for Texting while driving....

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If you have internet service already you could get http://www.iheart.com/?cmp=iheartradiocom for free.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
logger,

No antenna well gain you much under that metal roof.
Mount a decent antenna with a rotor on a tripod-type mount on top of the roof, and you should be able to pick up a bunch better than you can now.

Myron

How many peckers can a Pecker Checker check if a Pecker Checker could check peckers?
(stolen from shootinurse)
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Deerwhacker444
Originally Posted by K_Salonek

Sweet Mother of all things Holy....

And they want to give me a ticket for Texting while driving....

Think about it.... if they tried to make radio illegal while driving... the resulting trucker strike would shut the whole Country down.

Please don't feed the trolls!
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
heck, they gots bluetooth CB's nowadays......

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by logger
We live in a remote area and our house and both shops have metal roofs. We can only get one radio station (FM) inside the house or shops. We can get a few more from our car radios when they are parked outside (but reception is less than stellar). We are starting to explore either an inside or outside AM/FM radio antenna to provide us more options. It is not a big enough of a deal to go the Sirius Radio route. I also assume that some radios may have better reception capabilities. I would be interested in hearing experiences on improving AM/FM reception with antennas and/or radios.

Ken,

I have a radio on, in the garage 24/7... receiver with a pair of speakers...attached to a CD deck..

I've been doing this since the early 70s in college, and learned it from a couple of cousins who lived in Southern WVa, where radio and TV reception sucked...to say the least...

But I have one of the old Rabbit Ears antennas hooked to the stereo out there...locally here it picks up all the radio stations I regularly listen to, as well as the radios in my vehicles...

I had a few relatives back there that attached their stereo radios to the old outdoor on the roof style TV Antennas, and mounted high, those really brought in the radio stations, especially at night bringing in the old Super Powerful AM stations back in the Midwest and East Coast... like KBW in Buffalo, or WOWO in Ft Wayne Indiana, WLS out of Chicago, and WRKO out of Boston, WCCO out of Minneapolis, plus stations out of Miami, New Orleans, and even out of Canada...

I was up at 4,000 ft one night elk hunting, and camping in my truck.. woke up at 3 AM, and couldn't get back to sleep, so turned on the radio... on AM, I was picking up stations from up in Alaska down into Mexico...

So with AM all you need to do is get some height...

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
The outdoor TV antenna really brings in the radio stations, I would go that route.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A simple loop antenna should work. I ran 120' loop and was pulling in Japan, Korea, Oz, etc.

Broncos are officially the worst team in the nation this year.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Shortwave and AM being pretty much a thing of the past the only stuff being broadcast over the airwaves is mostly garbage.

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

554 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 1Akshooter, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 1337Fungi, 55 invisible), 2,478 guests, and 1,162 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,327
Posts18,468,536
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.