Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
They are great rifles. I wish I would have bought more back in the 90's when they were $350.00 new. I remember running across a 270 win for $270.00 and regret not buying it (still kicking myself in the azz over that one). Last year I had the opportunity to buy a like new 30-06 for $400.00. Stupid on my part to not buy it, even though I had 4 30-06's in the stable already. I have 1 SS MKII 300 win mag boat paddle tucked away for future use. These rifles keep going up in value. The rubber goodyear butt pad sucks and needs to be replaced with a limbsaver or similar recoil pad, especially on the heavy kickers.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
GB1

79S Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by pacecars
I have had a .270 and a .280 and they both shots lights out with plain old green box Remington Corelock ammo.

I had one in a 280 just like you mine [bleep] green box lights out big regret getting rid of it yrs ago.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I call these the "Three Sisters":

Left to right, custom .338WM built from parts, .300WM, .30-06.

[Linked Image]

Lighter than walnut, accurate, impervious to wet weather, dang near indestructible.

They seem to be good luck, too. Five trips to the field, five elk. Two with the .338WM, two with the .300WM, one with the .30-06.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
They are great rifles. I wish I would have bought more back in the 90's when they were $350.00 new. I remember running across a 270 win for $270.00 and regret not buying it (still kicking myself in the azz over that one). Last year I had the opportunity to buy a like new 30-06 for $400.00. Stupid on my part to not buy it, even though I had 4 30-06's in the stable already. I have 1 SS MKII 300 win mag boat paddle tucked away for future use. These rifles keep going up in value. The rubber goodyear butt pad sucks and needs to be replaced with a limbsaver or similar recoil pad, especially on the heavy kickers.

I did the same thing - found a stainless .270 Win for $325 at a gun show, didn't buy because they wouldn't come down to $310. Dumb. Went back the next morning to buy it and someone else was filling out the paperwork. Still kicking myself when I think about it.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I've had a 223 and a 308. Before I shot each of them, they got lightened triggers, bedding and floated barrels. They both shot sub-MOA, 3 shot groups. I sold both to fund new projects and wish I still had them!

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Zytel .338?

Ouch!

What fresh Hell is this?
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Tighten the angled front screw to 65 in/lb and the rear screw to around 50 in/lb. Snug the middle screw but not tight and you may want to use a little blue loctite on it. There are instructions on how to do a trigger job (if needed) on the internet. A good gunsmith can handle it easily. Use a finishing nail to unscrew the firing pin assembly from the bold and strip all of the oil off of it if you hunt in cold temps.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Same for me ! I had a s.s. zytel in 270 Win. that I bought at a pawn shop for $250 best deer rifle I ever had!
$250 will not get one now!

Molan Labe
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by AMRA

Same for me ! I had a s.s. zytel in 270 Win. that I bought at a pawn shop for $250 best deer rifle I ever had!

Yep, what a steal back in the day. No way anyone would touch that rifle now for less than $650.00. The true beauty in these is their usefulness and ruggedness. They are a pure utilitarian rifle that just flat out works. The triggers are so simple, yet rugged and the 3 position wing safety is easy to manipulate. They handle great and shoot fine and the stainless finish puts up with a lot of abuse. To me, these were the new "rifleman's rifles" and I regret not buying more when I had the chance.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Zytel .338?

Ouch!

You'll notice that one has the limbsaver on it. CH is a smart man. I don't think he cares for the tire tread the stocks originally came with, especially on the heavy kickers...

BSA MAGA
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Zytel .338?

Ouch!

You'll notice that one has the limbsaver on it. CH is a smart man. I don't think he cares for the tire tread the stocks originally came with, especially on the heavy kickers...

Thanks, BSA, but the only one that bothered enough to change was the .338. For rugged, I like the tire treads. Not so much for shooting in tee shirts, which tends to leave marks.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I bought my 300 Win boat paddle new in 98. It has been one of the most consistently accurate rifles I've ever owned. I shot it for years with the tire tread pad but finally wised up and put a real pad on it.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
Zytel .338?

Ouch!

Thanks, BSA, but the only one that bothered enough to change was the .338. For rugged, I like the tire treads. Not so much for shooting in tee shirts, which tends to leave marks.

Yeah, I think we talked about that before grin sick cry

BSA MAGA
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by pacecars
I have had a .270 and a .280 and they both shots lights out with plain old green box Remington Corelock ammo.

Same here on the 280

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by AMRA

Yep, what a steal back in the day. No way anyone would touch that rifle now for less than $650.00. The true beauty in these is their usefulness and ruggedness. They are a pure utilitarian rifle that just flat out works. The triggers are so simple, yet rugged and the 3 position wing safety is easy to manipulate. They handle great and shoot fine and the stainless finish puts up with a lot of abuse. To me, these were the new "rifleman's rifles" and I regret not buying more when I had the chance.

I would rate the finish on the one I bought at 95-97%; paid $477 for it on Gunbroker....imagine that!

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Couple months back I sold a 260 boat paddle on gun broker for just under 1500.00. It had factory sites on it and was pretty rare.

I have three, a 7mm rem mag, .338, and a .22 mag. I've used that 7mm mag more than any other rifle I've owned and really need to get it back out in the daylight one of these days. I've taken game from spitting distance to a couple of deer at the 600 mark.

It's spent countless hours/miles in a horse scabbard and plenty of time in a four-wheeler scabbard being bounced around. It's worn a Leupold 4.5-14x40 AO since it's 2nd year and I've never once had to adjust it's sight in other than an occasional change in it's diet and those were minor tweaks at best.

Life is just one damned thing after another
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

575 members (12344mag, 160user, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 70 invisible), 2,424 guests, and 1,204 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,543
Posts18,453,263
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.