Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Gary O Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
If you folks could take a look at these links and let me know what you think?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suh0feCDaHA

then:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWjujyMpnOI

Do you think that the heat that is generated would harm my camo hydro-coating?

Thanks...

Last edited by Gary O; 11/16/14.

Gary

Never underestimate the likelihood that the Republicans will cave...
GB1

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I definitely want the stock stiffer, but I don't want the extra weight. If you wanted both I think Boyds has an aftermarket wood or laminated stock that I would use first before I filled my stock with rockite or whatever that guy is using.

Gary O Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Boyds does offer a nice looking stock for $113, but it does not contain the V-block bedding system that comes on the factory American rifle...

Gary

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Hydraulic cement?That stuff expands as it sets up.Not much but it expands.

Ideas are far more powerful than guns, We dont let our people have guns. Why should we let them have ideas. "Joseph Stalin"

He who has braved youths dizzy heat dreads not the frost of age.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Im thinking Im going to use accra glass bedding gel,mixed with some of those air beads to save weight,and do basically the same thing.
Either that or use an air nozzle with a long tube to bubble it up to make like a honeycomb effect,at least in the buttstock to kill the hollow sound.

[the member formerly known as fluffy}
IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
One basic stock stiffening method without adding weight is to use Marine Tex as a bonding agent and carbon arrow sections. Aluminum tubing works as well.

The reinforcing rods need to start in the recoil lug section of the stock and extend to the forend tip... that requires some careful surgery on the cross beams or long drilling the stock from the forend tip and patching later.

Use expanding foam or compressed styrofoam for the hollow stock.

It ain't all burritos and strippers my friends...
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
I just opened up the barrel channel enough that it couldn't touch the barrel. Sure it is a big gap, but this ain't meant to be a pretty rifle. It saves money and weight and shoots just as good. It ain't meant to be an expensive rifle either. I can't see adding a $100+ stock to it. If I were going to turn it into a $500 rifle there are already better options at $500.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by JMR40
I just opened up the barrel channel enough that it couldn't touch the barrel. Sure it is a big gap, but this ain't meant to be a pretty rifle. It saves money and weight and shoots just as good. It ain't meant to be an expensive rifle either. I can't see adding a $100+ stock to it. If I were going to turn it into a $500 rifle there are already better options at $500.

+1

The way the rifle/stock are bedded it really doesn't matter how flexy the fore end is as long as it's not touching the barrel. Mine has shot great off the bench, off a bipod, off a back pack, sitting w/ a strap, offhand w/ a strap. Open the barrel channel up if it needs it, the leave it alone.

David

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Canazes9
Originally Posted by JMR40

+1

The way the rifle/stock are bedded it really doesn't matter how flexy the fore end is as long as it's not touching the barrel. Mine has shot great off the bench, off a bipod, off a back pack, sitting w/ a strap, offhand w/ a strap. Open the barrel channel up if it needs it, the leave it alone.

David

+2 all mine needed was opening the barrel channel.

IC B3

Gary O Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I will try the marine resin/carbon arrow shaft style on mine. Also the expanding foam from Loews in the butt-stock...

Gary

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Stuff walmart bags into the hollow butstock

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
The rifle is already bedded securely via the bedding block. As JMR said, all that really matters is if it is touching the bbl. or not to impede the free-float. I'd make sure it isn't, stuff the hollow buttstock with tightly compressed packing peanuts if the hollow sound bothers you and call it a day. Mine shot exceptionally for a $525 rifle (Redfield scope and all).
John

Gary O Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by tedthorn

Goober fix...

Gary

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Hey, don't knock it, Goober got that old Ford purring like a kitten in the courthouse.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Another vote for just making sure the forend is fully floated. I have several Americans and a round rasp is your friend.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Another vote for just making sure the forend is fully floated. I have several Americans and a round rasp is your friend.

or a heat gun..

It's a great life if you don't weaken..
Gary O Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular

Thanks, John for advice from a shooter with actual experience with the topic being discussed. These days you have to wade through the crap to reach a few pearls...

Gary

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Gary O
Originally Posted by tedthorn

Goober fix...

beg your pardon.....jackass

Sorry to hear you got your boots dirty gathering info

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Gary O

Thanks, John for advice from a shooter with actual experience with the topic being discussed. These days you have to wade through the crap to reach a few pearls...

WTF?

Several shooters with actual experience on the exact topic said the same thing before John did, Mule Deer just agreed with those posts. Now he's the only one that provided a pearl?

David

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (11point, 007FJ, 12344mag, 160user, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 56 invisible), 2,943 guests, and 1,243 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,354
Posts18,468,882
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.