kroo88 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by dan_oz
Originally Posted by kroo88
Originally Posted by dan_oz
I have had one for about 18 years, and it has accounted for a couple of hundred head of game with complete reliability. As well as its light weight and ergonomics I continue to be very pleased with its astonishing accuracy.

Model and chambering?

Stainless Stalker with BOSS-CR, .30-06.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Nice animals, Dan

I retired from the Johns Manville asbestos pop tart factory in ‘59, and still never made the connection.—-Slumlord
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have owned two. Both were fine rifles for an uninformed hunter who didn't know what crap they were. In fact, they even killed deer. The A-Bolt Medallion 7 Mag that I owned killed a bunch of deer. I also know a farmer a couple hours from here that has killed over 300 deer with his A-Bolt Stainless Stalker since he bought it in the early 1990's.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I had a composite stalker in 308. After reading about the accuracy I figured give it a try. It sounded like everything I wanted,short bolt throw, factory bedded, synthetic stock, blah, blah, blah. Killed one or two deer with it, just never warmed up to it, traded it and don't miss it.

The bedding was a spot of hot glue at the lug. I plucked it out in about 30 seconds with a knife. The stock flimsy. The trigger didn't adjust as good as I can make a Rem-Walker trigger and had/have the above mentioned reputation for breaking. Even after stiffening the stock and actually giving it a proper bedding all five or six of the factory loads I tried were in the 2" - 3" range for 3 shots at 100 yards. But, to be fair, the only handload I ever tried in it was 1" groups and I could keep them under 4" at 300 yards from a bench. I never tried to improve on that load just because I had pretty much lost interest in the rifle by that time.

Dave.

Those who are always shooting off at the mouth usually aren't shooting straight.

Build a man a fire and he’ll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he’ll be warm for the rest of his life.

www.wvcdl.org
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have an A-Bolt Stalker with the digi-camo DuraTouch stock in .300WSM. It's a sub 1" gun, handles very well, is relatively light weight, and has given me no trouble. It will remain in the collection.

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
I have had a browning A-bolt in .338 Winchester mag since 1987. The early ones were lighter weight. I have several other rifles including weatherby, Remington, Winchester and now Tikka. But the gun that I always took to Africa was my A-bolt. I have killed many deer and elk with it also. It is very accurate and lightweight and I always have confidence when packing it. It is the one gun I would never get rid of.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Bought a stainless 260 almost 15 years ago. Light, accurate and didnt have to dick with the trigger. Hunted in all kinds of weather in several states, no issues at all with it.

There is no way to coexist no matter how many bumper stickers there are on Subaru bumpers!

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
About the best factory action to use for a custom build. No truing needed, trigger adjustment can be done in 10 minutes for under $1. Short bolt lift. Tang Safety. I have a 7mm RUM built on an A-Bolt and there's nothing not to like about the action.

I would like to build a .243 on their titanium action.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by adam32
About the best factory action to use for a custom build

Wow. You have to be kidding me.

Is there anybody here who is capable of actually discussing/comparing A-bort design? Like say the bolt and it's parts, or the trigger group? Maybe the magazine? Without getting their panties in a wad, of course.

"I have one, it shoots, and I killed 5 deer with it" just doesn't do it for me.

IMO if you had to have a rifle for survival in harsh conditions, it would be at the bottom of the list.....

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've not homesteaded in the AK bush the past 5 years, but my A-Bolts have worked fine for me.

I'd think the average X-Bolt would compare very favorably to the factory Remington 700 you'll see on the rack today.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ever ask yourself why the X-Bolt even exists?

Look at the parts I mentioned above. Now look at the X-Bolt compared to the A-bolt. Notice anything?

IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Never owned one and don't hear much-almost never on this site.

Anybody?

I worked in a good local gun shop for 20 years, and it had a gunsmith in house that did fantastic work. We sold a few Brownings, and though I don't like the ergos, when a customer asked seriously if they were any good, I would take him in the back, to the repair shop that housed a couple hundred guns at any given time...and ask him to find one in the racks needing repairs....

We never did.

They have always had a good reputation for shooting well, and I sold one to a pard who has used the schitt out of his, no problems.

Hope this helps.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by ingwe

Anybody?

I worked in a good local gun shop for 20 years, and it had a gunsmith in house that did fantastic work. We sold a few Brownings, and though I don't like the ergos, when a customer asked seriously if they were any good, I would take him in the back, to the repair shop that housed a couple hundred guns at any given time...and ask him to find one in the racks needing repairs....

We never did.

They have always had a good reputation for shooting well, and I sold one to a pard who has used the schitt out of his, no problems.

Hope this helps.

Have never seen one go kaput or even need any work done on it other then maybe adjust the trigger. I have owned 2 of them and an X bolt and never an issue, That said I don't own either anymore.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D

Anybody?

We never did.

Hope this helps.

What WOULD that customer have seen sitting in the repair racks, if he cruised through there consistently?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Had a synthetic stalker in 300 WM. very accurate, no problems, killed a bunch of pigs with it..

Got bored with it and traded it off.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Hawk_Driver
Bought a stainless 260 almost 15 years ago. Light, accurate and didnt have to dick with the trigger. Hunted in all kinds of weather in several states, no issues at all with it.

I have the same. I liked the feel of the factory stock but it seemed to have some flex in the forearm so I replaced it with a bell and Carlson. I love the thing and it features. Completely reliable and has shot some incredible groups.

Hawk Driver - do you have any loads you would like to share?

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I have two. A 7mm-08 bought in 2002 and a 243 WSSM purchased in 2004. Both are accurate (3/4 MOA or less for 5 shots), lightweight, and function reliably. The only issue I had was with the WSSM magazine. It struggled to feed rounds longer than factory 95 Ballistic Silvertip cartridges, but was remedied with a couple of small shims. It's not a DG rifle so I don't worry about the issues.

The 7mm-08 is a Hunter II model and has the shiny stock. The WSSM has a satin finish and a 21" barrel. My only gripe is the shiny stock.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
My A-bolt II with BOSS was the most accurate rifle I've ever owned. I just sold it because I got tired of the aesthetics of the BOSS.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My daughter shoots a .260 micro hunter. It's light, accurate and works flawlessly.

Take your kids hunting, instead of hunting your kids.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer

What WOULD that customer have seen sitting in the repair racks, if he cruised through there consistently?

You wont believe me, but here goes:

Weatherbys...not Vanguards...Mark Vs

Kimbers

Quite a number of New Haven Winchesters, QC sucked then

Home Made "Sporters"

And a smattering of Salvages, Remingtons, and a Ruger once in awhile, though the Rugers were usually there through pure abuse.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer

You wont believe me, but here goes:

Weatherbys...not Vanguards...Mark Vs

Kimbers

Quite a number of New Haven Winchesters, QC sucked then

Home Made "Sporters"

And a smattering of Salvages, Remingtons, and a Ruger once in awhile, though the Rugers were usually there through pure abuse.

Yep and many of them were only dropped off for repairs in the week or two just before the BG season opener, but those rifles had needed work since the end of the prior BG season. Amazing how those gunsmiths have been blessed with the patience of Job...

Pursuit may be, it seems to me, perfect without possession.
Robert Kelley Weeks (1840-1876)
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

599 members (17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10ring1, 1337Fungi, 1941USMC, 50 invisible), 2,616 guests, and 1,123 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,312
Posts18,468,225
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.