Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
U
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
U
I'm trading a buddy for a pre-monarch Nikon 3-9x40. The scope has no markings other than Nikon on the objective bell and it is a Japan made scope.

Does anyone have any direct experience with these and if so how do they compare to the Monarch UCCs? I have a MOnarch UCC that is a good glass for what I paid for it.

BP-B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Depends on how "pre" we're talking about. I owned 2 of the first design; the first of these being bought in 1984-85 IIRC and the second not long afterward. I believe these had a 2 piece tube and at that time the only finish was gloss. The first one I bought fogged on a mid-30* rainy morning after I bumped it on my stand tree while pulling it up. Nikon replaced it with no problem.

Later both I had went belly up. Had been 4 or 5 years since I had shot the rifles on which they were mounted. When I finally shot them neither outfit was sighted in. Adjustments only resulted in random changes. Turret guts apparently gave up the ghosty. Again Nikon replaced them this time with the current design 2.5-10x40 Monarch. The glass and adjustments on these scopes is GREAT.

The scopes that I've seen that were immediately pre-UCC appear to have the UCC layout. Have only had one of these and never shot anything under it. These, and the UCC, have a different ocular than the original design, smaller and more like the Leupold dimension.

That's about all I can say. If the scope you have goes back to the 1980's I'd say you can plan on it breaking sooner or later. For the later model with the UCC layout I can't predict.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
U
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
U
This scope from what I recall was matte finish and looked similar to the UCCs. I think it must be one from right before the change to the Monarch UCC models. I'll get my hands on it this weekend and give it the freezer and bath test. If it fails, I'll send it in for repair or replacement.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I just sent one back...They sent me a new Monarch 3 2.5x10x42 BDC. Hell of a trade.

“When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”
U
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
U
Originally Posted by KentuckyMountainMan
I just sent one back...They sent me a new Monarch 3 2.5x10x42 BDC. Hell of a trade.

No doubt a nice upgrade!

IC B2

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I have one what I believe is one of the "pre-UCC" Monarchs in 4x40. I bought it new in the late 90's. It is a one piece design, made in Japan, that looks very similar in construction to my slightly later 6x42 Monarch.

The pre-UCC 4x40 has been a great scope, and I've yet to have a problem with it after being mounted on a couple of different rifles.

Good to know that Nikon is standing behind these older scopes!

S
SSB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have a couple of the pre Monarch 1 piece scopes. A 2-7 and a 1.5-4.5 The 2-7 was on my primary rifle for many seasons and accounted for about 40 animals. It's still going strong. The 1.5-4.5 hasn't seen as much use but has never had a problem.

We eat organic in our house, we just have to shoot and gut it first.....
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I've had and still own several of these pre-UCC Nikons in 4x, 2-7 and 3-9 models. All have been good scopes. They have good glass and hold zero well.

My only real complaint with them is limited tube length which can be a problem when mounting them on long action rifles. The long slope from the straight tube to the objective bell is the cause of the short tube. Other than that, no complaints.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Still using two and my dad is still using one. Really can't tell any difference between the right before UCC "pre-Monarch" and my early UCC Monarch's.

Some people are educated beyond their intelligence.
U
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
U
I got the scope mounted this weekend on an AR carbine. It is a gloss model so it may be older than I thought. I wanted to scope my AR and take a deer with it before the end of the season so it will work fine for that. Only issues I can find is the power adjuster has a slight rough spot around 4x. If it goes belly up I will send it in and have them replace it.

I'll have to compare it to my UCC that I have one day in low light.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I had one, a 3-9X40. The optics were great.

But I had two problems. In cold temperatures the power change ring would freeze making it effectively a fixed power until it thawed.

And second, after a reasonably easy life it fogged on a nice September day. Nikon replaced it with a Monarch.

Anybody who seriously concerns themselves with the adequacy of a Big 7mm for anything we hunt here short of brown bear, is a dufus. They are mostly making shidt up. Crunch! Nite-nite!

Stolen from an erudite CF member.
U
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
U
Just an update here. I sent this scope back to Nikon to inspect the sticking power ring. I just checked the status and they are replacing it, hopefully with a new Monarch3 2.5-10x42.. I'll be more than happy if they do.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
518 members (10gaugeman, 1badf350, 1lessdog, 160user, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 47 invisible), 2,537 guests, and 1,121 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,733
Posts18,400,973
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.