Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
GaryVA Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Replacement cover came in the mail, not so well packaged this time, but the cover is intact. Thought it was fitting that the box was labeled "FRAGILE" on three sides smile

I thought the tactical covers were out in limited standard sizes. Haven't seen them, but maybe you could do a Google seach and find someone who carries them.

I'll keep an eye out with Bushnell for any corrections/improvements with their Butler Creek production. It appears they job out production to the lowest bidder, and whoever they currently use is cutting every corner possible resulting in the poor quality. If my old set ever breaks, I'll cut open the hinge to compare with the current production. But I suspect, the old originals were solid whereas current are void with minimal material in the joint.

Later smile

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
GB1

GaryVA Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Just an update, hunted pretty hard out of a backpack covering a ton of miles in foul conditions on a recent trip, but I bent over backwards to baby this last set of replacement Butler Creek covers that Bushnell sent. On a morning that the temps fell well below freezing, both covers broke from just flipping open, same as all the others they sent me. Cheap pencil tip thin joints. I just tossed them and left my S&B bare and did my best to keep rain and muck off the lenses during the day, and cleaned them off every night. I had tried the newer recommended style of stretch over covers that slingshot off as well as my old rubber stretch over cover, but I just don't like them. Don't like them at all.

Thinking of taking my factory S&B stretch covers to my eye doctor and see if he can replace the "funhouse mirror" distorted see thru lenses with optical clear lenses that would not degrade my great S&B sight picture with the stretch covers in place. Otherwise, I wish they made Alumina covers that I could fit to this S&B scope.

later smile

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You're a patient man. I have lots of old ones and haven't ever had one fail. I wonder if you could drill a small hole and inject epoxy into the hollow cavity where it breaks to strengthen the joint?

Not that you should have to, but we are limited on our options here.

LOL
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by killindeer
i cant believe a US company hasnt made some good flip covers. sick of this China crap

They have - Aadmount scope covers - expensive, but have a lifetime replacement guarantee.

I've been using one set for about a year and have been very happy with it. In the year prior, three Butler Creeks broke on the same rifle.

GaryVA Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Just looked at the Aadmount covers, they look like the old USA Butler Creeks on steroids. They do not show a sizing chart, so I'll email them with my scope dimensions to see if they have anything that fits.

Thanks smile

- Clint Eastwood
IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Depending on how badly you want them, an option would be to have a couple of thread adapters made to convert the S&B threads to the closest Alumina set. Not cheap.

Bob

I met a French guy the other day. I asked him "Do you speak German?" He said "No." I said "You're welcome!"
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Aadmount $99/set!

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Never been a fan but decided I better join. Just bought 10 sets BCs!

--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
9 for spares?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The scope covers I use are free, as well as invisible....I've seen more snafu's regarding scope caps/covers in the heat of the battle than all other, "Oh schitt" moments combined...

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
yeah i have scrapped butler creeks and the others as well... i just have bikini covers until im ready to hunt

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered."
― George Orwell, 1984
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SAKO75
yeah i have scrapped butler creeks and the others as well... i just have bikini covers until im ready to hunt

I am not sure there is a decent reasonably priced solution, but I've long given up on BC Covers..

They used to a good bit of kit but as others have noted, the build quality went down the drain about 4 or 5 years ago..

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Are the Weaver Polar Caps a viable option?

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by huntsman22
9 for spares?

That's the ticket.

--- Kid Rock 2022

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by scenarshooter
The scope covers I use are free, as well as invisible....I've seen more snafu's regarding scope caps/covers in the heat of the battle than all other, "Oh schitt" moments combined...

Pat, I can only imagine.....grin

Caught myself enough times(in a hurry) bringing up a rifle and getting the black view...

Damn covers are closed....damn-it!

Don't hunt with them on anymore unless there is enough precip falling that it pays off.

(all older BC's and they last long enough, sucks to hear they cheaped up the current version)

Last edited by SamOlson; 12/07/14.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
GaryVA. When did you purchase these?

I just drilled into Six and found them all solid. Two objective and one eyepiece fresh from Midway, Made in the Philippines. Two older objectives, gotten on a trade deal a few years ago, and one old Belgrade Montana marked objective. The Montana unit does seem a more pliable material.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by oregontripper; 12/08/14. Reason: Six, not five

--- Kid Rock 2022

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I quit using that sheit and just use the bikinis now. I only put the covers on when I absolutely have to.

Still have a few of the older flips around. I cherish those babies.

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I've broken off a few of the flip caps lately too, in cool temps. They don't seem to hold up like they used to.

Bought a couple of the bikini style to try out.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
I've broken off a few of the flip caps lately too, in cool temps. They don't seem to hold up like they used to.

Bought a couple of the bikini style to try out.

My best suggestion is guys like you and ingwe need to stay away from bikinis... Just a thunk.. laugh

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
I use the old Uncle Mikes flip off scope caps. I have enough for all my scopes. Can still find them on Ebay

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

581 members (10gaugeman, 219 Wasp, 1234, 17CalFan, 22kHornet, 222Sako, 47 invisible), 3,298 guests, and 1,153 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,292
Posts18,467,960
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.