Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by milespatton
Now my bolt does NOT lock with the safety on. I thought from reading here that that was a Remington feature.

It was on the older ones. I do not know what year that it changed but I have one of each. miles
The 721 bolt won't open with the safety on.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
soundslike a deal. what am I missing?

That which does not kill us makes us stronger

Friedrich Nietzsche
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
To no one in particular.

I have a rem.700 and yep it is chambered in the dreaded 270 win.

The only time it will go somewhere is when i am carrying it on a hunting trip.

The trigger has not been adjusted at all,it does get taken down and cleaned before it gets sighted in.
I don't plan on getting another but there are are other triggers out there if one so desires.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Did you see the part about 12.5 million for the attorneys? Pigs.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Yes an I heard today that Savage is recalling all their guns because of great quality an grouping .They will be using Remington parts

IC B2

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by smarquez
Some have mentioned in the 13 page long thread that the 700 bolt locks when the safety is engaged.
I just went out to my safe and checked my one and only 700. I cycled the unloaded action 5 times, set and released the safety 5 times. Pulled trigger with safety on and released 5 times, no problem. Pounded pretty good on the floor with safety on and off, no problem.
Now my bolt does NOT lock with the safety on. I thought from reading here that that was a Remington feature.
My rifle is a 700P. I've never messed with the trigger. I don't really care for the trigger but can't express why other than it doesn't feel familiar.
Was there a trigger Remington used that allowed the bolt to open with the safety engaged?

In the bolt handle notch there will be a space between the stock and action , a metal tab that is part of the safety will lock into a notch that is milled at the root of the bolt handle. If there is no notch on the bolt then a gunsmith can grind one in and you could then buy a safety kit somewhere, I think Ultralight arms sells one thru Brownells.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have no idea what that trigger looks like inside but he epoxied 2 pieces together. He said it's a permanent fix for the problem.

Sounds like a niche for some gunsmith, if that is a reliable fix. miles

Here's a diagram posted by former member and gunsmith Malm.

[Linked Image]

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
I have no idea what that trigger looks like inside but he epoxied 2 pieces together. He said it's a permanent fix for the problem.

[Linked Image]

May he rest in peace . Great guy

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by teal

What happens when you're rifle that's supposed to have a wart goes back and doesn't anymore?

Remington was replacing the firing pin assembly under warrantee ten years ago...

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I have an old Remington adl it is in 25/06 I adjusted the trigger years ago, never problem with the rifle, I got it second hand and it has the bolt lock, just a piece of metal that pops up and stops bolt from opening with safety on, I think it was made in the 70's I think.

"The 375HH is the greatest level of power you can get for the investment in recoil." (JJHack)
79s and losttrail, biggest waste of air.
IC B3

L
LBP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

[Linked Image]

May he rest in peace . Great guy

Yes he was.

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.

Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Many of you remember Jack Belk. He's a well known Idaho gunsmith who's been an expert witness in a number of the Remington lawsuits. He was a long time member of the Fire. I had him look at the trigger on my dad's old 721 that had once fired when Dad took off the safety. Luckily he had it pointed in a safe direction.
I have no idea what that trigger looks like inside but he epoxied 2 pieces together. He said it's a permanent fix for the problem. I'm sure some of you know what he's talking about because I sure don't.

Rock Chuck,

that was refreshing, and useful. thanks for posting that.

Sycamore

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

[Linked Image]

Thanks for posting that.

Sycamore

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
The "problem" with the Walker trigger is at point B in the diagram. If something like a grain of sand (dirt, gummy oil, ice, etc) gets in that position, then the disconnector cannot return to position and can allow an AD. It is extremely unlikely but is possible.

By simply gluing the disconnector to the trigger itself, there is no longer any space for dust to intrude. This was the "5 cent" fix that Walker told Remington of way back in the 1960s. Just make it a one-piece unit and there is no problem.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Rem has this all screwed up - no need for this recall. There are several guys on this forum who have stated and argued that there is absolutely nothing wrong with that trigger/safety setup. If they see this thread, they probably will again state their case, with factual verification.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

621 members (10Glocks, 1234, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 74 invisible), 2,580 guests, and 1,265 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,668
Posts18,455,952
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.