Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
K
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
K
A friend bought a flawless Steyr Mannlicher here in Oklahoma at a garage sale last year for 200.00 dollars. It's a .308. I nearly cried it's so nice. Locals I hunted with in Germany used Steyrs in smaller calibers very effectively. Wish I had one.

The F-4 Phantom II is the standard of excellence that all modern fighters are measured by. Sign on the wall at the factory in St. Louis.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie
A NIB .260 Safe Bolt Steyr-Mannlicher (walnut) just sold on GB today. I didn't really need another, but they are somewhat rare, so I bid $800 and was eventually out bid. They are one hole rifles. I have one in .260 (stainless/walnut) and one in 6.5x55 (blue/walnut). High quality. Great shooters.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Those are sweet rifles. Dibs on both. laugh

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a 30-06 Forester. All my other rifles are aftermarket barreled semi-customs with Hart, Brux, Pac-Nor, Douglas and Lothar Walther barrels but the Steyr shoots right in there with them with no work done to it at all....not even action bedding

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

If I had to recommend one rifle to someone as the rifle to have the best chance to be accurate right out of the box, it would be Steyr.

"The beauty of the 2nd amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it" - Thomas Jefferson

Criminals prefer unarmed victims and dictators prefer unarmed citizens
G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
Have 3 of them - 2 in 7x57 (Luxus and Professional) and a 30.06 Professional Mk3 - Steyr's plastic stocked matt finish sort of beater rifle.

Older models were the SL, L , M , S (lightweight, light, medium and large(er) actions) and the military/police SSG versions-longer actions and heavy barrels. These have multiple bolt lugs at the back of the action.

Newer models are the SBS (safe bolt action) ProHunters with the tang rotary safety. All have hammer forged barrels with the spiral hammer marks left as a sort of trademark. Bolt lockup is at front of these.

I think the Euro market will buy more expensive rifles so Steyr has their core buyers there. The USA is a smaller market so shops don't usually carry many unless they specialize along with the price tag.

I have found the USA importers parts and smith very accomodating and real enthusiasts.

I feel the ProHunters are a little heavy for .308 and lighter calibers though the weight makes them shoot great even offhand. Steyr has there own lightweight versions, Gunbroker always has a few for sale.

I suppose the attraction is the pride of ownership of a firearm you don't see often along with nice workmanship...and mine shoot great!

B
B
I have a pro hunter in 25-06. Its a great shooter and like others have said the trigger is pretty nice as well. The stock has a funky look to it, but it feels great when you pull it up. The only thing I don't like; is that it is a bit heavy.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
At one time the importer for Steyr was in my little home town and a good friend of mine. They split several years ago and not sure who's importing them now. I got to see the ultra light rifles before they even came on market..

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Schoolmarm,

I know those guys, they are great folks and I am sorry they no longer handle Steyr-Mannlicher.

jim

LCDR Jim Dodd, USN (Ret.)
"If you're too busy to hunt, you're too busy."
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
I have six Steyrs.

Nothing else will shoot better or have a better trigger right out of the box.

I have an older Luxus full stock model M in 270 and the rest are safe bolt versions.

In Safebolts I have a 7mm-08 stainless synthetic carbine,a 270 blued synthetic rifle,a 280 stainless synthetic,a 280 deluxe blued walnut,and a 30-06 blued carbine.

I have had at least a dozen others through the years.

Never had a lemon,and I can't say that about a lot of other manufacturers' rifles.

Last edited by ruraldoc; 02/16/11.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by schoolmarm
At one time the importer for Steyr was in my little home town and a good friend of mine. They split several years ago and not sure who's importing them now. I got to see the ultra light rifles before they even came on market..

Was that Mr. Woods by chance?

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
I have a stainless synthetic pro hunter in .300 WSM. They are very nice rifles; extremely accurate out of the box, good trigger and a slick action.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf...George Orwell.
IC B3

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
I shot an SSG for a while in the 1990s and found it to be a pretty solid rifle. I put about 2000 rounds through it and never logged a zero change that could not be attributed to operator error.

Are the barrels still press fit? At the time the knock on them was that you could not rebarrel because none of the smiths wanted to deal with it.

Hunt hard, kill clean, waste nothing and offer no apologies.

"In rifle work, group size is of some interest...but it is well to remember that a rifleman does not shoot groups, he shoots shots." Jeff Cooper

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Bringing back an old thread......

Just found a Steyr Safebolt SBS 96 chambered in 6.5x55.

Not sure exactly what model it is but it comes with a walnut stock which the rifle is sitting in right now. It also comes with a synthetic stock, one magazine, factory scope bases, and the original box with papers.

All steel is matte blue, no blems anywhere but for a couple scratches on the checkering.

I can get it for $799 out the door, should I jump?????

Enjoy the hunt while it lasts!
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
eurooptic has started to import these again, I'd compare the prices of new ones. I've got one of the earlier SBS prohunters in .243. they are somewhat odd rifles, but the workmanship is pretty remakrable. I have to use warne mediums to mount the scope so it'll clear the bolt handle, i DONT like that. otherwise, a really well made rifle.

Uber Demanding Rifle Aficionado
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I have a stainless Pro Hunter in .280. It is a great rifle. I have or have had Weatherbys, Rugers, Remingtons and Tikkas. I would choose my Steyr over all of them. Shoots MOA with any ammo I run through it. The adjustable stock is a great feature when I adjust for very heavy clothing for Canada deer hunting. It is a little funky looking though.

War Damn Eagle!
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Steyr's are great rifles, very accurate and great triggers. Mine is a ProHunter in 6.5X57. The $799 seems very fair for and extra stock and rings.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Here are a couple of the old Steyr rifles I have. The second and forth from the top say Steyr Daimler Puch .... on the receiver.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Don't know if the offer is still available but Cabelas listed 3 different versions of the Pro Hunter for $800 new. I thought hard about those since we have two Cabelas in SC now, just can't justify expanding the arsenal right now.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by HunterJim
The current models use the Safe Bolt System (SBS) action that was introduced in '96. I bought my first SBS rifle in '98. My current favorite is the Mannlicher Ultra Light. Here is a factory picture.
[Linked Image]
It can give my NULA a run...jim

Do they make mounts that don't look like bricks for that model?

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Americans buy based on advertising and gun rags.
Steyr rifles are not marketed towards American notch markets.
Excellent rifles will few faults out of the box. Absolutely SUB MOA. world class triggers, adjustable stocks, safest rilfe made.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by Steelringer
One thing is for sure, they shoot well.

I had one in 243 that was beautiful, but would not print minute of basketball with anything. The barrel I recall would heat up after one shot. I gladly traded it for a Sako and would never own another Steyr.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

554 members (1minute, 1moredeer, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 1234, 10ring1, 58 invisible), 2,133 guests, and 1,130 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,106
Posts18,464,235
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.