Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by scenarshooter
Originally Posted by Formidilosus
The MOAR reticle is too fine and no one that I am around that has used both prefers it over the standard mil dot for hunting.

If you're getting a NF then get a reticle that offers something for wind. The IHR shouldn't even rate a consideration. I all but hate a standard Mil dot, but it is the best choice for hunting in a compact NF.

S&B makes nothing comparable to the 2.5-10x. NF, and the 42mm has excellent glass. Glass quality is almost purely subjective and has much more to do with personal bias than anything else. Manufacturers KNOW the exact properties of their glass. In any case it's a silly reason to choose a scope, and is generally the purview of amateurs.

S&B's are not what they were with regards to durability and reliability, and are not the "best". There are a whole bunch of military shooters not using their 4k issued S&B's. Despite what some think- zero retention and reliability matter.

BS....you think you know a lot more than you really do. One of my best friends is a Special Forces Sniper Instructor who has been deployed all over the world. His go to scope on his work rifle is a 4-16X50 S&B PMII. I run the same scope on my work rifle, and have for the past six years,(three barrels)without any POI change through all kinds of climatic conditions, from 40*F below to 110*F. And as far as glass quality not making a difference, I disagree completely, the better you can see, the better you can shoot....anyone knows that. Would you rather have 20-15 vision, or 20-20 vision?

But Pat, since we're talking pros and amateurs here, can you turn a mundane elk hunt for a raghorn into an episode of Survivor? The pro's can. wink

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by SKane
The MOAR reticle is too fine and no one that I am around that has used both prefers it over the standard mil dot for hunting.

If you're getting a NF then get a reticle that offers something for wind. The IHR shouldn't even rate a consideration. I all but hate a standard Mil dot, but it is the best choice for hunting in a compact NF.

S&B makes nothing comparable to the 2.5-10x. NF, and the 42mm has excellent glass. Glass quality is almost purely subjective and has much more to do with personal bias than anything else. Manufacturers KNOW the exact properties of their glass. In any case it's a silly reason to choose a scope, and is generally the purview of amateurs.

S&B's are not what they were with regards to durability and reliability, and are not the "best". There are a whole bunch of military shooters not using their 4k issued S&B's. Despite what some think- zero retention and reliability matter.

BS....you think you know a lot more than you really do. One of my best friends is a Special Forces Sniper Instructor who has been deployed all over the world. His go to scope on his work rifle is a 4-16X50 S&B PMII. I run the same scope on my work rifle, and have for the past six years,(three barrels)without any POI change through all kinds of climatic conditions, from 40*F below to 110*F. And as far as glass quality not making a difference, I disagree completely, the better you can see, the better you can shoot....anyone knows that. Would you rather have 20-15 vision, or 20-20 vision?

But Pat, since we're talking pros and amateurs here, can you turn a mundane elk hunt for a raghorn into an episode of Survivor? The pro's can. wink

LMAO..... grin!.....and on the money!

On one hand, we have a proven commodity. Mr. scenarshooter has been there, done that, in his modest unassuming way so many times I can't even remember. The guy just flat out knows what works, uses it, and has been kickingasss in the field for years and years. The other dude...well, his egomaniacal, regurgitated schtick has gotten old, fast. He is his own biggest fan.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

I sat in a room years ago and observed an exchange between a USMC Scout Sniper (who's had a History Channel program done about him) and the former NCOIC of 5th SFG's Sniper School discuss S&B scopes. "Schidt and Bend-Overs" as the marine referred to them. The SF guy laughed.

Every one of the initial buy scopes had to be returned because they wouldn't track and hold a zero.

Last edited by 4321; 12/14/14.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Much like Pat I've used the 4-16 on a work rifle many years. Removed animals off cut corn field 2 hours before shooting light.
Never had a issue don't know anybody that has. I heard my wife's step uncle had a illegitimate child that was a scout sniper. He thought they sucked.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by rickmenefee
Much like Pat I've used the 4-16 on a work rifle many years. Removed animals off cut corn field 2 hours before shooting light.
Never had a issue don't know anybody that has. I heard my wife's step uncle had a illegitimate child that was a scout sniper. He thought they sucked.

You probably know a lot about sucking.

IOW, you have a personal rifle that you've babied, and really don't know if the damn thing will track 'cause you ain't checked it in years, if ever. Got it.

IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Laughing
I'll show you mine if you show me yours! smile

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by 4321

Every one of the initial buy scopes had to be returned because they wouldn't track and hold a zero.

Yes, I'm quoting myself. Here is the perfect chance for one of you fat bastids who can't stand me to prove me wrong. Takers?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BobinNH
As a general hunting scope for open country, which reticle?

They all look foreign to me so advice is appreciated smile

Not up with all the new NF reticles. I have wanted a 2-10x42 and have even had one in the shopping cart....but just can't pull the trigger on a scope costing that much and weighing 20 ozs for a hunting rifle.

I'd be afraid of myself if I ever crossed that threshold.

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I sat in a room years ago and observed an exchange between a USMC Scout Sniper (who's had a History Channel program done about him) and the former NCOIC of 5th SFG's Sniper School discuss S&B scopes. "Schidt and Bend-Overs" as the marine referred to them. The SF guy laughed.

What were you doing in that room, busing tables, or sweeping the floor?

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

What were you doing in that room, busing tables, or sweeping the floor?

Listening and learning. You should give it a whirl. It might expand your horizons, like maybe learning the difference between a sling and a carry strap, like that schidt carry-strap you peddle off as a sling.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Why don't you and Pat compare photo albums. 4-3-2-1 - crickets.

WWP53D
A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Originally Posted by JGRaider

LMAO..... grin!.....and on the money!

On one hand, we have a proven commodity. Mr. scenarshooter has been there, done that, in his modest unassuming way so many times I can't even remember. The guy just flat out knows what works, uses it, and has been kickingasss in the field for years and years. The other dude...well, his egomaniacal, regurgitated schtick has gotten old, fast. He is his own biggest fan.

Anyone that loads 185 Juggernauts to 2920 fps in a .308 has to be knowledgeable........right? crazy

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by 257heaven

Not up with all the new NF reticles. I have wanted a 2-10x42 and have even had one in the shopping cart....but just can't pull the trigger on a scope costing that much and weighing 20 ozs for a hunting rifle.

Give it a try, you want regret it, and they are not as expensive as it first seems.

$1350 MOAR link

It is not uncommon to have the MILR for $1350 as well.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ctsmith
Originally Posted by 257heaven

Give it a try, you want regret it, and they are not as expensive as it first seems.

$1350 MOAR link

It is not uncommon to have the MILR for $1350 as well.

Freakin' enabler.

Eurooptic is actually where I had one in the cart...haha.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Eurooptic will take a return as long as it hasn't been mounted. Give one a gaze and send it back if you don't like it. I know how that will turn out. grin

Eurooptic Return Policy

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

It's impressive and also sad how one person can be such a clueless dork.

Tanner

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

Yes, I'm quoting myself. Here is the perfect chance for one of you fat bastids who can't stand me to prove me wrong. Takers?

Bueller?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Bueller?

psycho?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Tanner

It's impressive and also sad how one person can be such a clueless dork.

Tanner

Yep.

WWP53D
A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Who is this 4321 clown....

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

316 members (1minute, 10gaugemag, 1_deuce, 338reddog, 10ring1, 2ndwind, 39 invisible), 2,555 guests, and 1,206 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,714
Posts18,457,038
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.