OP Offline
Campfire Regular
U
any thoughts on a magnum research .22 wmr graphite hogue rifle
good or bad?--thanks

BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Considering one myself. One of things I noted is that they will not warranty the gun if 30gr ammo is used. Second is the various reports of poor (heavy) trigger pull. Not sure what MR's position would be if one were to use the KIDD or VQ trigger kits to lighten the trigger pull. Rimfirecentral.com has quite a bit of info on the MR rifles if you do a search.

If you follow thru with a MR 22 WMR purchase, do report back with your impressions - inquiring minds want to know.

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Had one briefly and sold it...

Pros:
Very light weight and impervious to weather.
Shot MOA with 33gr Rem Accutips

Cons:
Trigger sucks big time!
Elevated scope rail puts the scope too high for proper cheek weld.
Only shot MOA with one type of ammo. I tried everything!!

I intended to drop a Kidd trigger group in it (could not get a Timney 10/22 to work) and attach
a foam cheek pad to the butt stock but in the end someone else wanted it more than I did...

Here is the boy with a called double. Looking at the pic kinda makes me miss it.......
[Linked Image]

Sooner or later our heritage of hunting is going to be a rich mans sport and the words "Outfitter" and "Hunt Industry" will be synonymous with cancer and A.I.D.S. among blue collar hunters like me and my family! (A.L. Williams - 2010)
RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
geez X, that makes the expression "wrong side of the tracks" not such a bad thing...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Trigger sucks big time!

Lots of similar comments across the InterWeb. One of my pre-purchase concerns.

Elevated scope rail puts the scope too high for proper cheek weld.

Hadn't given this any thought, but certainly a valid point.

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
As 'luck' would have it I wandered into a gun shop that I haven't been in in some time. Sitting on the used rack was a MR 22WRM with "NIB" on the tag and an appealing price. Got the back story on the gun from the owner and in the end made the purchase.

Once home I put the trigger pull gauge to it - 4#s. Less than I expected and about a 1/2# better than a Ruger 10/22 LVT I picked up a couple of weeks ago.

With a scope mounted, there is little if any cheek weld. I had a Scope-Eze riser laying around from another project and temporarily placed it on the stock. The Scope-Eze riser make for a good cheek weld.

Will probably replace or modify the bolt release. All of my other 10/22s have the KIDD auto bolt release. Don't see any reason that this one should be any different. May Contact MR later in the week and get a reading from them on trigger upgrades and what affect they may have on warranty.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have one and if a malfunction is possible it has happened. Brimstone, Que and local gunsmith have all worked on it. I made the mistake of having the barrel threaded before shooting the thing thus voiding the warranty. Beware if you ever see me selling the POS in the classifieds.

P.S. Shooting 30gr will not void the warranty. It is recommended not to use the 30gr because of feeding issues.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I have one with a Kidd trigger. Never fired it. blush My son had one with about 150 rounds through it. He liked it. Sold it to a guy on the net and he deals in them and loves 'em. He was glad to get my son's rifle. Mine (and my sons) have the heavy stainless tube. Love the Hogue overmold stock.

Jordan

Last edited by RobJordan; 12/14/14.

Communists: I still hate them even after they changed their name to "liberals".

My boss asked why I wasn't working. I told him I was being a democrat for Halloween.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sell it and buy a Volquartsen. The Volquartsen is a unique design rather merely a clone of the Ruger 10/22 mag like the MR.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
261 members (1lessdog, 257 mag, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 2UP, 10Glocks, 23 invisible), 1,750 guests, and 911 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,593
Posts18,397,943
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.