Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by 4321
Here is the perfect chance for one of you fat bastids who can't stand me to prove me wrong. Takers?

Why do they have to be fat? smile

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
GB1

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by 257heaven
Originally Posted by BobinNH
As a general hunting scope for open country, which reticle?

They all look foreign to me so advice is appreciated smile

Not up with all the new NF reticles. I have wanted a 2-10x42 and have even had one in the shopping cart....but just can't pull the trigger on a scope costing that much and weighing 20 ozs for a hunting rifle.

I am in the EXACT same holding pattern for both reasons you each mentioned.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by elkhuntinguide

For the Record... The S&B Contract scopes were not all returned... Only the ones that had a turret change by Premier had problems... Only the S&B's which Premier touched had issues...

That was to get around the Boland ammendment, but I wouldn't have expected a 300F1 dropout to know that. ALL the USMC S&B's had to come through a US contractor, PICKED and AGREED UPON by the manufacturer.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Reloder28
Here is the perfect chance for one of you fat bastids who can't stand me to prove me wrong. Takers?

Why do they have to be fat? smile

'Cause they eat schidt for food:)

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Take A Knee will be along to agree shortly.

IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Tanner
TAK, I'll pay for your tag, provide you a place to stay, and carry your extra tampons if you'll come and shoot a Mule deer with me next year. You have to use my Kimber Montana, but it will be a grand old time....

Tanner

Cute, but it would probably take me ten years worth of preference points to draw a good MD area in CO.

Come hunt with me then....OTC license. Only cost you $7500 'cause you're so easy to get along with.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Backroads

TAK is gone forever.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
To digress just a minute to respond to the original question with some actual hands on experience, I bought a NF NXS 2.5-10x42 with MOAR, external turrets and zero stop and used it a bit this season. Overall, the size is excellent, and it is solidly built like a full-size NXS. The optics are better than the 32mm's. The optics work well in all light, low light, and even dark.

The MOAR reticle works nicely for hunting. The "floating" crosshairs really make a nice aiming point, especially when in a hurry. The MOAR and MIL-R allow for holding for wind, holdovers, and to see needed corrections, which the IHR does not.

This model comes with a choice of capped turrets or exposed turrets, so pick whichever is preferred. I prefer external turrets as correction can be dialed quickly and easily. Zero stops are a must have on any scope in my experience and opinion.

This model has externally adjustable illumination, with five different intensity settings, and can switch between red and green by pressing the button. Red is easier on my eye. In practice, the lowest setting is the one that is useful in low light conditions to minimize constriction of the pupil. The illumination can be helpful to contrast a black reticle against a black feral pig in low light.

Overall, the scope is very solid, tracks and returns to zero reliably. I ended up selling it recently, as I prefer higher magnification for some of the shooting I do, but I probably will end up buying another at some point. Definitely would recommend it over any other compact scope that I've tried.

It is more compact than a S&B PMII 3-12, so they are really not directly analogous. Between the two, the S&B 3-12 is the stronger optically with the 50mm objective. The laws of physics are a constant, so a bigger objective provides more light gathering capability and a bigger exit pupil. I never found the compact NXS optics wanting in any potential shot.

fwiw - I have shot feral pigs by moonlight on two different occasions with my NXS 5.5-22x56. I've used S&B a bit, and like them of course, but always found the NXS met my needs and always works.

[Linked Image]

Customer of the NXS compact 2.5-10x42 from 125 yards.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

TAK is gone forever.

Not if TAK is Bigsqueeze.
Do you know Judo?

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

Do you know Judo?

Sadly, no.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That was to get around the Boland ammendment, but I wouldn't have expected a 300F1 dropout to know that. ALL the USMC S&B's had to come through a US contractor, PICKED and AGREED UPON by the manufacturer.

Still stuck in the 80's Hero... I see your reading comprehension mirrors the context of your posts... Once again it solidifies that you are the Queen of Dumbasses... I typed as slow as I possibly could the first time in hopes you would be able to comprehend... I'll try again...

I never did nor would I take a 300-F1 course... I'll leave that to you "Candy Stripers"...

ALL S&B M8541 scopes that were issued in the first contract were not returned... Only the ones that Premier assembled in VA were... Once they discovered and corrected the problems the remaining scopes on the contract that were issued were fine...

Regale us with your experience and tall tales of running an M8541 Day Scope "In Country" and having it fail on you deep behind enemy lines "Gomer"... Have you ever had one fail while YOU were using it on your Sniper Rifle...

What really does any of this have to do with poor ole Bob's question for a good hunting scope... Do you troll the site looking for the attention that you crave but never get at home... Does claiming SF give you wood... Feel proud of yourself as you sit behind your keyboard, ribs sticking out screaming "GET SOME!!!!"...

If you were truly a "Quiet Professional" you'd give ole Bob a good recommendation and stop running your cock holster... We all know how that'll work out...

Jeffbird gave a great recommendation Bob... I myself run Mil-r/mrad but the NF Compact is a great scope... I've a couple and Really like them... Very robust, track extremely well, great glass...

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

ALL S&B M8541 scopes that were issued in the first contract were not returned... Only the ones that Premier assembled in VA were... Once they discovered and corrected the problems the remaining scopes on the contract that were issued were fine...

So, only the effed up scopes were returned, which was the entire first shipment, and the first shipment, and the initial contract, was awarded to Premier. Got it. You stupid SOB.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R

Regale us with your experience and tall tales of.....

On second thought, don't!

Robert E. Lee
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I wonder how NF sells scopes when some say their glass is "ok"

And given Bushnell Elite, Leupold, and Zeiss Conquest, and even lower end Swaro have glass that should do well in most any legal light.

Are the complaints on Resolution, color rendition, or ??

No doubt many Alpha brands like NF and S&B are heavy vs others.

Are there any tracking issues with M1s, as I've not heard.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
So, only the effed up scopes were returned, which was the entire first shipment, and the first shipment, and the initial contract, was awarded to Premier. Got it. You stupid SOB.

Wow Clown Shoes... You almost got it right...

Now why not start your own thread about the POS M8541 and your plethora of knowledge and experience behind said scope and get out of ole Bob's thread or recommend Bob a good choice and move on...

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Formidilosus

S&B's are not what they were with regards to durability and reliability, and are not the "best". There are a whole bunch of military shooters not using their 4k issued S&B's. Despite what some think- zero retention and reliability matter.

I jumped into this inane thread because the above is a known fact among those "in-the-know" in SOF circles. The man knows exactly what he's talking about, unlike some here.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

Wow Clown Shoes... You almost got it right...

Now why not start your own thread about the POS M8541 and your plethora of knowledge and experience behind said scope and get out of ole Bob's thread or recommend Bob a good choice and move on...

No, I got it EXACTLY right azzwipe. My experience with the USMC S&B is exactly one FAM course I helped run for some EOD guys who had them mounted on the Sage-stocked M14's. They had all been REPAIRED and appeared to work fine. I work with quite a few USMC types who've been to Scout Sniper School and many others.

Never heard anyone I know have anything but praise for any scope NF ever made. Buy with confidence.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

No, I got it EXACTLY right azzwipe. My experience with the USMC S&B is exactly one FAM course I helped run for some EOD guys who had them mounted on the Sage-stocked M14's. They had all been REPAIRED and appeared to work fine. I work with quite a few USMC types who've been to Scout Sniper School and many others.

Never heard anyone I know have anything but praise for any scope NF ever made. Buy with confidence.

There ya go Bob... NF all the way... Dick nose has spoken with all his super snipery experience... Which of course counts for absolutely nothing considering the source...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Seems like premier was "fixing" s&b's while also building and promoting their own brand...convenient how the s&b's had problems.....hmmmmmm

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered."
― George Orwell, 1984
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by scenarshooter
[quote=Formidilosus]

BS....you think you know a lot more than you really do. One of my best friends is a Special Forces Sniper Instructor who has been deployed all over the world. His go to scope on his work rifle is a 4-16X50 S&B PMII. I run the same scope on my work rifle, and have for the past six years,(three barrels)without any POI change through all kinds of climatic conditions, from 40*F below to 110*F. And as far as glass quality not making a difference, I disagree completely, the better you can see, the better you can shoot....anyone knows that. Would you rather have 20-15 vision, or 20-20 vision?

It's not even worth it......

You seem like a good dude, Pat. But you are wrong. I'm not guessing.

It wouldn't take much looking to find that out.

Last edited by Formidilosus; 12/14/14.
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

612 members (17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10ring1, 1337Fungi, 16penny, 55 invisible), 2,678 guests, and 1,124 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,310
Posts18,468,202
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.