Print Thread
Hop To
D
dave284 Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
Three way scope comparison. Today I picked up a a Vortex CrossFire II to mount on my 17hmr RAR. Since none of the three shops I tried had a one piece Weaver style base actual mounting and shooting will have to wait. Since I had two other 3-9 x 40 scopes setting here I decided to do a little comparing.

First let me say, I�m not a scope expert. I can�t go on at length about eye boxes, exit pupils, contrast, etc. This is just a side by side comparison about what looks best to my eyes. Ymmv. The other two scopes are an older Leupold VX-II and a Burris FF2 which is about five years old. Even with it being the oldest I expected the Leupold to win. I would call it a close second. I did clean the lens on both the older scopes and readjusted the eyepieces to make sure things were as even as possible. The Burris is the only one mounted on a rifle at this moment so the other two were just held in my shaky hands.

The first test was reading a placard my wife has on the kitchen wall from about six yards at 3x. During this test I noticed that the Leup was much clearer at the edge of the field of view than in the center. Why, I don�t have a clue, but if all the scopes were as clear at the center as the Leup at the edge it would be a wonderful world. The other two were much more consistent from edge to center. Very little difference in the three at the center but the Vortex edged out the others.

The second test was viewing a rock at about fifty yards on 3x. I paid attention to other objects in the field of view for clarity. The Vortex easily outclassed the others, and the Leup and the Burris were very nearly equal.

Test 3, A blue surveyors ribbon at about 100 yards on 3x. Again Vortex finished at the top of the heap but the Burris was hot on its heals and jumped a couple points ahead of the VXII.

Test 4, The fifty yard rock on 9x. Finally the Leupold won a round, but barely. Both it and the Vortex easily outclassed the Burris

Test #5, the 100 yard ribbon at 9x. The Vortex went back to the win column. Both it and the Leup beat the Burris by a fairly good margin. Again, all these test were basically based on how well I could make out individual limbs and twigs to the side, in front of and behind the �aim point�.

Test 6, the neighbors house just shy of a quarter mile down the road, 9x. Yes the rifle was unloaded and the bolt removed when I looked at it with the Burris. The red roof on it was a little brighter with the Vortex, than the VX-II and third was the Burris. The Christmas lights were off but I couldn�t tell a difference in the definition of them with any of the three scopes. So based on the color alone this round went Vortex, Leupold, Burris.

Test 7, 5:10 p.m. light fading. Standing on my porch looking out over the field and into the woods with each scope at 4x and 9x. With the Vortex it was much easier to make out individual limbs and weeds than with either of the other two. The Vortex and the Burris crosshairs are much easier to see than the Leopolds.

Test 8, 5:30p.m. I could probably still see a deer well enough to shoot with the Burris to around a 100 yards or a little over in the field, maybe to 50 yards or so with the other two.

What does all this mean, not a dang thing. Just my observations. Maybe if all three scopes were brand new there would be different results, maybe not.

Final thought, if the Vortex tracks as well as the reviews I have read on line says it does and holds up to time and the elements it is a heck of a nice scope for $150.00

If I were to grade the on a scale, assigning 100 points to the �winner� it would look like this.

Vortex ���.. 100
Leupold ��.. 99
Burris ���. 96

Dave.

Those who are always shooting off at the mouth usually aren't shooting straight.

Build a man a fire and he’ll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he’ll be warm for the rest of his life.

www.wvcdl.org
GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
uh-huh,yep,............hu-huh

Like oats through a horses ass, so are the days of my life

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

522 members (10gaugeman, 204guy, 007FJ, 2500HD, 06hunter59, 1eyedmule, 48 invisible), 2,820 guests, and 1,251 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,597
Posts18,454,376
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.