Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
You don't need to change/add too much to what you have now to stay warm.

I have the Sitka Incinerator and Fanatic gear. The Incinerator bibs and parka are noticeably warmer. I basically live in them during gun season. I consider the jacket too loud for bowhunting but you might be able to get away with using the bibs. The clothes were definitely pricey but now I am glad that I bought them. I have some KOM and Gray Wolf Woolens gear and the Incinerator stuff is way lighter and easier to get into and move around in. It also packs down small which is a big plus.

Some cheaper gear is the Cablelas Standhunter parka and bibs. This gear is warm and quiet but heavy. You do not even want to think about getting it very wet.

Whatever you end up using for bibs and a parka I would want it too be windproof and at least water resistant.

For my hands I use the Gray Wolf Woolens mitts in XL with liner gloves. Inside each mitt I put an 18 hour handwarmer. I have lots of expensive gloves and mittens that now sit in the drawer. (For climbing up into my stand on wet days I wear cheap cotton gloves. Then I take them off in the stand and put on the liner gloves.) With this arrangement my hands stay warm and I can easily slide them out of the mitts.

For my head this year I tried a Cabelas Ninja Balaclava and it is without a doubt the warmest most comfortable thing I have ever put on my head. That includes the KOM and SI hats. I also highly recommend the Ravenwear neck gaiter which I pull over the Ninja. On top of the Ninja I put on a Raverwear Noggin Boggin. The XL fit is a bit tight so I am going to see if Ravenwear will make a custom hat in a larger size. Like others have said you won't believe how much warmer you'll be when you seal up your neck and head.

For boots I usually buy them a size large and stuff an 18 hour warmer in the toe box of each boot. Instant warmth.

The advice on puffy jackets and vests is also good. I tend towards using down vests.

Another thing I have found that helps me to stay warm is to use some type of seat cushion on my treestand seat when it is crusted with snow or ice.

I know most of my clothing is not cheap. But after many years of hunting I realized that buying second rate clothing in the long run was a waste of money if I wanted to stay dry, warm and comfortable.

GB1

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Lots of good suggestions. My situation is also very similar to yours with the build, low blood pressure, easily cold, etc... I always have a good hat, neck gaiter and hand warmers when stand hunting. Add some boots that actually keep your feet warm for the conditions and you are pretty much there with what you have. Those few items are game changers for me.

If you want to find clothing that will definitely keep you warm you might want to look at Raven Wear hunting clothes. I found a set of their bibs and a vest on Ebay. Took me about a year to find both pieces. I can't imagine being cold in them. Got them for less than half price and they are very warm. You don't see them used often but they do show up if you keep an eye out. They are not anything you are doing much walking in, but for stand hunting they are top notch.

The cabelas stand hunter clothing is close to the same thing and cheaper. Heavy but it is warm. I just sold a set of bibs in the classifieds a few weeks ago. Would have been perfect for you. I only upgraded when I found the Raven wear.

You have to be out there to have a shot, and you will only be out there if you are comfortable. I would do some looking and try and find what you think will get it done for you. Most seasons are over now and you have a year to make it happen for next season. Good luck!

NRA Life Member

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Thanks folks....lots of ideas!

jdunham, actually, our late flintlock season is coming up, and it runs till nearly the end of January, so I have some cold weather hunting to go yet. smile

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
trf mentioned a seat cushion = +1 on that. I use the closed cell foam squares. They also are useful when I dress at the stand - have to take off boots to add layers and I can stand on it.

For hands, many suggestions. I use XL mitts that I can easily slip my hands out of easily and quietly. I also use one of those hand muffs that straps around your waist. Only issue with that is I like to have one hand on the rifle, as our deer rarely announce themselves. . LOL I sit with the rifle forend in one hand and the tip of the other mitt between the stock and mitt. I can then pull my trigger hand out and push the forend out quietly at the same time.

+1 on the down best. That is an easily packed layer. I carry a pack big enuf for all the clothes that I don't want to wear walking into the stand. I change socks when I get there, and if really cold even put on a different pair of boots ( if warmer - above 20 - I swap out liners) That way my feet are dry, which is well on the way to warm.

Good luck on the hunt - stay warm!

T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
I checked out some Sitka Stratus bibs today at Cabela's....not real heavy, but would pack easily, super quiet, and would be a great top layer over my wool pants. Pack to the stand and put them on at the tree.

Only 290 smackers, lol.

Good thing is Cabela's will almost surely run offers after Christmas, and I usually score a gift card or two through the holidays, so maybe I'll get something there.

All the other bibs they have there currently are heavy, bulky, and in some cases quiet noisy. The fleece/wooltimate are not, but holy cow are the heavy/bulky.

IC B2

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

572 members (1beaver_shooter, 257 roberts, 1minute, 19rabbit52, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 62 invisible), 2,244 guests, and 1,164 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,210
Posts18,466,186
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.