Hop To
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
L
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by Texas_Mauser
....Christianity formed Western Civilization....

Wonder what Galileo and Darwin would think of that. It could be argued Western Civilization formed in spite of Christianity.

Last edited by LostHighway; 12/21/14.
GB1

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by LostHighway

Wonder what Galileo and Darwin would think of that. It could be argued Western Civilization formed in spite of Christianity.

Or is it more accurate to say Western Civilization continued to form in spite of Christianity?

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by wilkeshunter
Originally Posted by 3584ELK
5 pages of ranting against Christianity (mostly), and only one mention of "the religion of peace"?

Y'all must believe Mr. Obama is reading this thread...

Yep. I reckon we are bad folks. Wait till they find out just how little we do for those in need around us. It's amazing how we have them fooled.

If you really want to put a fine point on it, the Catholics formed Spain, Portugal, Italy and most all of France.

Calvinists pretty much dominated in Scandinavia, the Low Countries and Germany.

The Brits made it up as they went along.

The Greeks were orthodox.... much good it did them.

Pretty interesting, if you get down to it.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
L
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
http://www-groups.dcs.st-and.ac.uk/history/HistTopics/Heliocentric.html
The above is an interesting read. Some like Giordano Bruno didn't fair well for their science- burned alive by the church. The history of mathematics is interesting from China, Algeria and the west.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by Scott F

There is no doubt many cases of atrocities committed in the name of Christ. They were wrong and just using Christ as a covering to fit their agenda. It is sickening and there is no way to exonerate any of it.

Now tell me what kind of religion or lack of religion has not done the same. Atheist peace ferries will stomp you into the ground as fast as anyone else.

Scott, you know I have a great deal of respect for you, because you live as a Christian, rather than wear it as a badge to impress people, or disguise past malfeasance.
Atheists are hard to pin down as a group because they are not organized , and as such have no proven and consistent track record of atrocities against others.

Uh, NO! Shall we begin with Stalin and work our way backwards.

IC B2

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper

Or is it more accurate to say Western Civilization continued to form in spite of Christianity?

No, it is not more accurate to say that. There is a good debate on the very subject on you tube between Christopher Hitchens and John Lennox. Hitchens admits he lost that particular one.

Last edited by GeorgiaBoy; 12/22/14.
T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Technically the heliocentric view of the universe is as wrong as the geocentric one. The universe doesn't revolve around the earth nor the sun. The geocentric view is not necessarily a fundamentalist Christian view but an old Aristotleian theory that was passed down until it was disproven.

Either way you can not say that Western civilization started with Darwin nor Galileo. It started with the fall of a Christianized Roman empire. Faith and reason are not at odds and science, religion, and philosophy are three(different but not separate) ways to the truth.

Either way I don't see how it matters what I believe or you believe. If you're a right-wing pro-Western type you could be an atheist, a pagan, or a mithras cultists for all I care. I am not a religious fanatic. I am however a nationalist.

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Originally Posted by Dutch
Originally Posted by wilkeshunter
Originally Posted by 3584ELK
5 pages of ranting against Christianity (mostly), and only one mention of "the religion of peace"?

Y'all must believe Mr. Obama is reading this thread...

Yep. I reckon we are bad folks. Wait till they find out just how little we do for those in need around us. It's amazing how we have them fooled.

If you really want to put a fine point on it, the Catholics formed Spain, Portugal, Italy and most all of France.

Calvinists pretty much dominated in Scandinavia, the Low Countries and Germany.

The Brits made it up as they went along.

The Greeks were orthodox.... much good it did them.

Pretty interesting, if you get down to it.

All of those countries except for Greece were Catholic in the beginning before the divisiveness of the Reformation. The Greeks were Christian and then started calling themselves Orthodox after the Greek-Latin Schism. Greece, Russia, the Slavic lands, Anatolia(modern day Turkey) and some parts of of the Middle East(esp. Egypt) became The East while Western Europe(both north and south), Central Europe, and some parts of the Middle East and most of North Africa became the West.

Unfortunately, large parts of the East and even much of the West were lost to the Islamic hordes and are no longer Western. While Iberia was recovered, North Africa, the land of St. Augustine, never was.

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Originally Posted by GeorgiaBoy
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper

No, it is not more accurate to say that. There is a good debate on the very subject on you tube between Christopher Hitchens and John Lewis. Hitchens admits he lost that particular one.

Look at Hitchen's brother, Peter Hitchens. The complete opposite of his brother in both belief, personality, and integrity.

In all honesty, the man was a Trotskyite, of the same plague that is affecting this nation as it is all nations. If I were an unbeliever and one that was pro-nation and pro-civilization, I would be banking upon the words of men like Julius Evola, Darwin, Spengler, Charles Maurras, Yukio Mishima, Friedrich Nietszche and the like. Men like Nietszche, Evola, and Darwin were geniuses even though they were unbelievers(not that unbelievers are automatically stupid anymore than Christians are) while people like Dawkins, Thomas Paine, and Hitchens are not.

Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

454 members (12344mag, 160user, 17CalFan, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 1beaver_shooter, 41 invisible), 2,072 guests, and 1,119 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,603
Posts18,454,762
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.