Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yes.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
GB1

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Yes, 3 doe deer. All with a muzzleloader, due to not being able to follow them onto private posted land and finish them off.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
first shot should have finished them off IMO.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Anything I've ever shot, no...

I've experienced about 15 or so from Hunters shooting... Have found 75% of those in the following weeks with the help of birds and such... A few were found the next year in places I'd never imagine a wounded animal to go or be able to travel that great of a distance wounded...

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Many years ago I gut shot a whitetail buck and never did find it. I shot it in the evening, looked until dark, then called my father and brother to come in the morning

I slept in my truck and we looked for several more hours that morning. Never found it and it made me sick. I gave up bowhunting for the remainder of the season.

donsm70

Life Member...Safari Club International
Life Member...Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
Life Member...Keystone Country Elk Alliance
Life Member...National Rifle Association
IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Yes. Shot a Cow three years ago that ran about 200 yards and fell on private land. Landowner would not give permission to collect animal. Understand that they went a got the Elk out though. At least it didn't go to waste.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yes. One elk, one antelope. Both were chased all day and never found.

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Yes. Whitetail doe, high shoulder shot knocked her down but she got up and walked off. Very little blood on a morning with heavy frost. Tracked her about 75 yards and she started walking normal. Still not sure if she survived. I have probably lost 5 coyotes over 34 years, shooting too far or small rounds without perfect shot placement being the primary cause.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Yes, 1 elk & 1 black bear.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Yes. There's two kinds of hunters who've never lost an animal; beginners and bullshitters. An animal can be perfectly hit, quickly killed and still lost.

A good shot will wound more than he misses, that's a mathematical certainty. Who hasn't missed? Beginners and bullshitters.

Life begins at 40. Recoil begins at "Over 40" Coincidence? I don't think so.
IC B3

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Yes my biggest buck to date, found 2 days later on a farm that adjoined the piece of property I was hunting. 2 does, no reaction to a rifle shot but slight blood was found on both.

X
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
X
Just one completely, but 2 have been lost long enough for the coyotes to get there before I did. One I found the next morning completely devoured, the other I found about 4 hours later also completely eaten. One other one I found the next morning but still intact and as it was winter it was fine.
I did hit one other doe very low and far back with the bow, but I saw her later that evening with 2 other deer so I think she was ok.

L
las Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Read somewhere that archery "losses" are on the order of 30%. Don't know the criteria or accuracy of that.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I guess I've been lucky. Forty five years and almost 100 deer killed and I don't think I ever lost one. I said I did here on a post one time but found the deer the next morning. South Texas brush can swallow one up in a hurry. He was within 50yds of where I shot him but I just could not find him in the dark. powdr

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Count me in the yes column.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
First animal I ever shot with a bow, a javelina, as well as a cow elk shot at archery
Distance with my 30-06.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by las
Read somewhere that archery "losses" are on the order of 30%. Don't know the criteria or accuracy of that.

Back in the early to mid 1990's, Idaho did a bull elk mortality study and while the sample was fairly small, around 50-60 bulls were radio collared on public land with varying degrees of road access,the wounding loss was around 50% for archery hunters.

For rifle hunters, the loss was much lower, 10-15% IIRC, but due to higher numbers of rifle hunters the number of lost bulls was about equal archery.

This particular area had good elk numbers at the time and was prior to wolf reintroduction. Much of the study area was very brushy and steep, which I'm sure played a part in wounding loss.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
lost one deer in my life. 257 Roberts with hand loads. grabbed the wrong box of ammo in the dark. the bullets were 100g ABC match. all I found after the shot was about one drop of blood every 100 ft. tracked that buck 6 miles out into the flats outside of Lancaster Calif. he had to swim the California aqua duct to get to the flats. never saw or found him. was headed to Tehachapi for all I knew.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yes. No excuses.

Imagine your grave on a windy winter night. You've been dead for 70 years.
It's been 50 since a visitor last paused at your tombstone.....
Now explain why you're in a pissy mood today.
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by Model70Guy
Yes. There's two kinds of hunters who've never lost an animal; beginners and bullshitters. An animal can be perfectly hit, quickly killed and still lost.

A good shot will wound more than he misses, that's a mathematical certainty. Who hasn't missed? Beginners and bullshitters.

There's about 15 million hunters in the US now. Not counting the rest of the world, and all the hunters that came before us. You honestly think that not one can go through their hunting career without losing an animal?

I'd put my money on a hunter who never lost one then bet on everybody through time losing one. So many have lost just one. That's so close to not losing any when you figure how many they've shot.

No, I don't think everybody is a liar, or rookie who claim to not have lost one. The odds of nobody doing it is a poor bet.

Last edited by BarHunter; 12/23/14.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.
Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote.
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

607 members (007FJ, 160user, 10ring1, 10Glocks, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 54 invisible), 2,324 guests, and 1,194 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,093
Posts18,464,084
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.