Hop To
Page 2 of 24 1 2 3 4 23 24
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Rick,

Some people "handicap" themselves with 6x (or other fixed-power scopes) because they've found variables to be less reliable.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
All these scope threads are so much academics. The scopes we have now are awesome, almost all of them work great. 6X will go hundreds of yards, as expressed.

LOL
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
99.9% of hunters/shooters wouldn't know if their scope is reliable or if some other of the multitude of factors affecting accuracy is actually causing the problem; they have no way to test a scope on a bench or the desire to shoot a 25 yard travel test.

A fixed 6 power scope is all that is necessary if, as some posts reflect, shots are close and the target is large. It's also fine if you just want a cheap scope.

But on this forum we're talking about long range shooting and hunting. A wise person would look at the equipment used by those who care about hitting what they shoot at, like in a target game based in hunting scenarios. Everyone is shooting a variable power scope with some high end power. Setting up a long range rifle for hunting similarly will result in better success.

In the shotgun world the same applies. Taking a well-fit shotgun into the field that has been set up for sporting results in better wing shooting.

A scope limited to 6 power even equipped with turrets is hardly the best choice for long range

Here's a list of scopes used by the top precision shooters in the country...
http://precisionrifleblog.com/2013/12/22/best-rifle-scope-what-the-pros-use/

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
I've killed antelope over 400 with a straight 4 power with a standard crosshair. No dials, no dots, no range finder.

This why you are the "antelope-sniper"

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
rcauglia
If you read the original question, it was "How far will a 6X take you on deer" It was not "what is the best long range scope" Two substantially different questions.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A fixed 6 power scope is all that is necessary if, as some posts reflect, shots are close and the target is large. It's also fine if you just want a cheap scope.

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
99.9% of hunters/shooters wouldn't know if their scope is reliable or if some other of the multitude of factors affecting accuracy is actually causing the problem; they have no way to test a scope on a bench or the desire to shoot a 25 yard travel t99.9% of hunters/shooters wouldn't know if their scope is reliable or if some other of the multitude of factors affecting accuracy is actually causing the problem; they have no way to test a scope on a bench or the desire to shoot a 25 yard travel test

I agree. Back when I purchased a Savage .223 heavy barrel the groups started to open up at around 2,200 round count. Because I was used to magnums I figured it was shot out. Again my ignorance was showing. A friend told me to get rid of the Burris Signature 8-32X and put on another scope. I did and the next group was back to its normal self: 5 shots at 100 yards measured .312".

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by rcamuglia
99.9% of hunters/shooters wouldn't know if their scope is reliable or if some other of the multitude of factors affecting accuracy is actually causing the problem; they have no way to test a scope on a bench or the desire to shoot a 25 yard travel test.

But on this forum we're talking about long range shooting and hunting. A wise person would look at the equipment used by those who care about hitting what they shoot at, like in a target game based in hunting scenarios. Everyone is shooting a variable power scope with some high end power. Setting up a long range rifle for hunting similarly will result in better success.

In the shotgun world the same applies. Taking a well-fit shotgun into the field that has been set up for sporting results in better wing shooting.

A scope limited to 6 power even equipped with turrets is hardly the best choice for long range

Here's a list of scopes used by the top precision shooters in the country...
http://precisionrifleblog.com/2013/12/22/best-rifle-scope-what-the-pros-use/

Wow I would not have expected S&B to have such a commanding lead. Would have expected NF to be much closer. What's up with that!

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Ringman
99.9% of hunters/shooters wouldn't know if their scope is reliable or if some other of the multitude of factors affecting accuracy is actually causing the problem; they have no way to test a scope on a bench or the desire to shoot a 25 yard travel t99.9% of hunters/shooters wouldn't know if their scope is reliable or if some other of the multitude of factors affecting accuracy is actually causing the problem; they have no way to test a scope on a bench or the desire to shoot a 25 yard travel test

I agree. Back when I purchased a Savage .223 heavy barrel the groups started to open up at around 2,200 round count. Because I was used to magnums I figured it was shot out. Again my ignorance was showing. A friend told me to get rid of the Burris Signature 8-32X and put on another scope. I did and the next group was back to its normal self: 5 shots at 100 yards measured .312".

Guys you mean to tell me that most shooters can't tell if a scope has gone haywire?

I can't buy into that.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Most think the loads are bad or not their day and put it back in the safe. A bad. mirror in a scope will shoot 1 1/2" groups and that's fine for the average hunter so I can see it happening more often that not. In fact I have bought new in the box scopes that had this problem always test new scopes on a proven shooter before they are used for load development

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rcamuglia

So, instead of answering the OPs question you come along to act like a dick and start a fight over an off-topic soapbox issue for you.

Got it.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
My longest kill was either 556 or 565, I forget. On a whitetail doe.

With IRONS on an AR15 in 223 with a 75 amax.

6x can take you a LONG ways.

But then again there are as many reasons for a fixed scope only as there are for more X in the back pocket just in case...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Rick,

Thanks for all the info, though I had heard of the blog before, and even looked at it more than once. Had even heard of using a shotgun that fits in the field.

I have found, however, that there are ways to test scopes without having the 25-yard setup, including (but not limited to) mounting them on a rifle and shooting. In fact, I've found shooting often provides more information, since not all scopes take kindly to actual shooting, including some expensive ones.

Have also known quite a few people who somehow consistently hit animals beyond 500 yards without big variables. Some even use 6x, but more than one prefers a fixed 10x.

Gotten your pair of variables back from the repair shop yet?

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Use variables because I like options. Turned the scope up to near max almost every time I had the time. Do not have real good eyes and seeing better is a good thing. Could have used less power but even at 50 yards in the brush it is nice to be sure what you are seeing is really horns not limbs. I know that scopes are aimers not lookers but in the woods, when you see a deer, you may have time to aim or look not both. On further thought, have never used a 6X but keep scope set about there and it has always been OK when I had to use it that way. Something else for me to ponder. LOL

Last edited by Dillonbuck; 12/24/14.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by SAKO75
on deer sized game,,,how far have you had success?

400 yards. Have not tried any further. That was with a Leupold 6x42.

All of my variables stay on 6x. They've been there so long they may be stuck in place.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
For several decades I've been running around with scopes that bottom out at about 6X. A couple years ago I equipped a Marlin Guide gun with a 2.5 X, headed to the range, and could not even see the 1/2" bulls eye on my workup targets. Needless to say, initial efforts were rather poor.

I worked up another target with a 3" bull that meshes with the scope perfectly, and now get near MOA performance out of a 45-70.

I think the answer to the original post is that it depends on ones target. Ground squirrels at 600 yds, I don't think so. Deer or elk, not a problem.

Last edited by 1minute; 12/24/14.

1Minute
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
ever shoot a buck with a tine broke off? Sure makes you feel like a fool to shoot a buck with a screwed up rack on an expenisve out of state hunt!!

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by SAKO75
on deer sized game,,,how far have you had success?

The reasoning explained to me many years ago when I first started fiddling with long range stuff:

If you can see/hit (whatever it is you want to see hit) at 100 yards with irons, then it is the same same for a 10X at 1000 yards.

For me here lately seeing with irons to 100 has gotten to be an effort anymore.

Done in Convention by the Unanimous Consent of the States present the Seventeenth Day of September in the Year of our Lord one thousand seven hundred and Eighty seven.
E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I regularly take out milk jugs, which are the same size as the vitals of a deer, at 500 yds w/ several of mine.

I don't care what scopes precision target shooters use because I'm not a precision target shooter; I'm a hunter who appreciates the KISS principle.

I also have no need to go to true long range, and recognize Rick does more of that than I do. No doubt what works for him works for him just as well as What works for me works for me and that he feels no more limited by sending in his heavy scopes for repair than I do making shots on the first try at the longest ranges I can find to practice around here.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by BobinNH
[

Wow I would not have expected S&B to have such a commanding lead. Would have expected NF to be much closer. What's up with that!

Several reasons-

- Sponsorship
- Up until this year NF did not make a 20+x power front focal plane scope
- An over belief in the minuscule differances in "glass"

The 5-25x PMII was the best built higher powered FFP scope until this year. The tides are turning. The last couple matches I shot this year were covered in Vortex Razor HD II's and NF BEASTs. With the release of the 4-16x and 5-25x NF ATACR F1's there will be a BUNCH used.

Page 2 of 24 1 2 3 4 23 24

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

573 members (219 Wasp, 10gaugeman, 1234, 17CalFan, 22kHornet, 222Sako, 47 invisible), 3,289 guests, and 1,151 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,292
Posts18,467,960
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.