Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Shot a nice doe this afternoon at about 80yds with the 270 win loaded with 130gr ttsx, I was very surprised at the damage that was caused by this load. I am not used to seeing these perform this way. I have only used them in 7mag with 140 ttsx, and there is no comparison between these. The 140gr made a nice quarter sized hole all the way through. This deer was broadside at a slight angle facing me. This may have contributed to the extensive damage displayed in the pics below. What do some of you think?

Left side entry

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Hammer2506; 12/26/14.

Fück Joe byron
GB1

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
So much for eating up to the hole........ Plenty of fat on that doe, she was eating good!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by wyoming260
So much for eating up to the hole........ Plenty of fat on that doe, she was eating good!

My thoughts too.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I think you got a cup and core mixed in with your TTSXs. Out of about 80 deer, I have yet to see one anywhere near that. And, that includes deer shot at pretty short range.

I shot four through the shoulders this year using a 50 cal ML rifle with T-EZs at 1700 FPS and all four were dead when they hit the ground and never moved. Nothing even approaching a mess, much less like that.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I had something similar with TTSX 85 grn out of a .243 last year. Mine was only a sample size of 2 but on both the shoulder was shredded! Shot distance was about the same as yours.

IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
My wife shot a mule deer buck with a 100 TTSX from a .257 Roberts this year. She's very careful about avoiding shooting shoulders, if they can be avoided, so placed the bullet behind the shoulder on the broadside buck, yet several pounds of meat was lost.

We have generally found TSX's and similar monolithics like the Nosler E-Tip and Hornady GMX do shoot up less meat than bullets losing some weight, but velocity has a lot to do with it, and all expanding bullets will sometimes damage considerable meat. The MV of Eileen's load is around 3150 fps and the range was a little under 100 yards.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
are you sure it wasn't an old Nosler ballistic tip?....that's what it looks like anyway...

G
GRF Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
I have seen pretty messy results with the 120 TTSX out of my .260 at closer ranges. As previously stated velocity has a lot to do with damaged meat.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I killed deer with 110 TTSX's from a 270 and 80 gr TTSX from a 243 this season and got nowhere close to that kind of carnage. The 120 gr Fusions from the 7-08 seem to be harder on meat.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Not a 270, but I used a 100 gr TTSX in a 257 Weatherby on a 5-point white tail a month ago and it completely destroyed the front end - you'd have needed to eat it with a straw. 177 yards on the laser afterwards. It was a perfect heart shot, cut a notch out of the top of the heart and took out all of the big blood vessels coming out of the top. It still ran 71 paces. Every 10 feet or so it looked like someone had sprayed a gallon of red paint on the snow. The only bone hit going in and out were ribs. Both sides were layered bloodshot from the brisket to the withers and part way up the neck.

I've been using X's of one kind or another since they first came out 25+ years ago, and have never seen damage like this. This was the first Tipped X that I have shot an animal with, and the first blood for my 257 Wby, although a grand total sum of one doesn't prove anything. The load was a 100 gr TTSX over 76 grains of Magnum and a Fed 215 in Weatherby cases, and according to the Chrony is going just shy of 3600 fps corrected 15' from the muzzle. I have no idea how fast it would have been travelling at 177 yards, but WOW, I'm a little leary to use it again.

IC B3

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
I am sure this was a TTSX 130gr load, thats the only thing I shoot through 270. Besides ballistic tips are yellow in the 270. This was about the worst I've seen with a TTSX ever. Nothing even close with 7mm 140gr's. But clipping the back edge of the shoulder blade caused the bullet to come apart I would assume.

Fück Joe byron
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
No, the bullet didn't come apart, not on a shoulder blade. But fragments from the shoulder blade probably added to the meat damage.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Wow! I have never seen a TTSX do anything like that. Did it hit something before hitting the deer? I had a GMX from a 7mag hit a twig last year, then strike the deer in the neck and come out on the shoulder. The entry was way larger than I expected and theoff shoulder was a mess.

I have some 130 grain TTSXs and am getting ready to work up a do it all load for my Dad. I haven't shot any out of a .270, but have had such good performance in other cartridges, we are going to give them a try.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I'm sure if the bullet collided with the shoulder joint in the exact right spot, it'd explode the bone sending bone fragments into the meat causing exactly what you had happen. You can eat right up the hole when it's in the flat part of the scapula, but hit that joint and bone tends to go everywhere.

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
The shoulder blade was shredded and framented into tiny pieces so that very well could be where a lot came from, there was nothing in between me and the deer it was a straight clean shot, only slightly on an angle.

Fück Joe byron
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
No, the bullet didn't come apart, not on a shoulder blade. But fragments from the shoulder blade probably added to the meat damage.

I've put a few 270 bullets through deer shoulders. I have put a few through deer shoulder blades. I made a fist size hole through the onside blade with a .270 TTSX. I have run a bunch more Barnes in other calibers through deer shoulders and I have never seen anything even remotely approaching this one.

In my experience, deer scapula usually break down into what would be described as gravel and not shards like leg bones.

I've put really high speed Barnes through deer at inside ten yards and never seen this.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I don't get the expectation that killing critters shouldn't get a little bloody now and then. Chit happens. And I had the same thing happen on a cow elk this year with a 180 ttsx.

Last edited by BWalker; 12/27/14.
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
It beats me, thats what I was shooting the TTSX for was to stay together, but oh well on that one. Shot quite a few with 7mm 140gr TTSX and results were minimal damage but DRT results. It sure made a nice conversation anyway. Thanks for all the inputs, comments. I will try again and compare results with this one.

Fück Joe byron
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
First time I ever heard of a TSX doing that? I don;t use them sso I don't really know but the theory about the bullet exploding the shoulder joint sound's like it might be right. Only deer I've ever seen messed up that bad was a mule deer I shot in the shoulder with a 225gr bullet from a 338 win mag. Nothing was salvageable in the front of that deer.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I popped a whitetail this year with a 80 grain TTSX at 3900 fps MV out of a .257 Weatherby. Since the range was only 68 yards it had most of it left. Anyway, I caught the back of the shoulder, blew a fist sized entrance hole and a bullet sized exit just behind the far shoulder. It still ran maybe 40-50 yards with a blood trail 8 feet wide. I don't know about you, but I'm getting sick of my stories with Barnes bullets ending with "And then it ran away and we looked for it". This one was a science project to see if hyper speed was going to drop animals better; I think its safe to say I'm going to go back to bullets with lead in them and leave the TSXs and TTSXs for buffalo and such.

Life begins at 40. Recoil begins at "Over 40" Coincidence? I don't think so.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

654 members (1lessdog, 163bc, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 1234, 59 invisible), 2,882 guests, and 1,290 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,577
Posts18,453,995
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.