-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Don't want to hijack the thread...I got booted from Tman for no good reason other than Paul got his panties in a wad over absolutely nothing and I wouldn't bow and lick his boots.

Like I said, there are some really good folks on there, both the wilderness forum and the L48 forum. I just think he takes himself a little too seriously.

Eat moose, burn spruce
GB1

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by FishinHank
Don't listen to AKTrapper26, he doesn't know what he is talking about, right Brandon? Haha, just kidding buddy.

Thanks for the vote of confidence, Hank! laugh How the heck are ya?

Oklahoma hunter..you might also consider a trapper's cap, instead of pan covers. Use one to fill in and pack the dirt around the trap, to keep dirt out from under the pan. Then, when done, remove the cap and you sift over the pan itself. This can be good for those "getting back into it", as it can be easier to keep the area immediately over the pan slightly lower than the surrounding... Canines' feet just LOVE the low spot...

Decide that you want it more than you are afraid of it.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Oklahomahunter
Hey guys. I trapped some in high school so I'm not a total FNG, but I've been out of it quite a while. The coyotes and bobcats seem to be running all over us on some of my deer hunting places so I thought I'd get back into it a little. My son will enjoy tagging along as well so I thought it would be a good time. Where would you guys suggest I look for getting set back up? Also, when I did it before I ran some long spring traps my dad had. I see a lot of coil spring traps online, but have no experience. What would you guys recommend as far as size and long spring or coil?

===============================================================

We can use only cage traps and snares here in Florida ,sure wish we could use foot holds .
I have 170 snares oxidized and painted green -on Dec. 1st. they will go to work .

This snaring looks like it will work pretty good -if you have dense areas where predators travel through -pick up a few dozens snares that are legal in your state .
They disappear when hung right and it's no problem to put a few on each trail where you see sign .
If you can get your paws on some animal carcass place them [carcass] in dense brush give the predators time to start coming there on a regular basis . Hang your snares back away from the feed area 40ish yards give or take then set their trails to the carcass .
As stated lots of good reading at trapperman, but don't go over there and threaten to kill somebody when you're drunk -cause they'll chitcan you for little stuff like that . smile

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Unscented toilet paper works good in dry weather. TP is fast and effective.

I use window screen if the makings are wet or wet weather is in the forecast.Dont use the wire windowscreen tho, it will rust on you.

Never had much luck with latex stuff, had some pullouts that I blame on it..Could be wrong there, but i wont use it again.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Single ply you steal from the portolet at work, or Charmin from the wife. It's Squeezably soft.......

IC B2

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Here in the 'dry cold' smile we use wax paper as well...

...make sure you crinkle it up first (not with bare hands of course) and then unfold it before placement. Cuts the noise of stepping on it and allows snow to settle into all the nooks and crannies...

Using this in heavy, wet snow, however, can spell disaster and educated canines... the snow I deal with here is more like cornstarch than snow...but of course it is in other places, too...

Decide that you want it more than you are afraid of it.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I started trapping fifty-five years ago. Some years I've hit it hard, other years not so much. I went to MB 650 C's (cast, offset jaws) several years back for coyotes and MB 750's for beaver and have never looked back. The MB's are a serious trap, made in USA. They put the rest to shame, IMHO. Somehow I have never been able to set a trap made in Korea or China or anywhere else.

BTW, offset jaws are more effective. Some might see them as more humane, I don't know, but they close a little further and they hold harder because the spring follower goes higher up on the jaws.

Mathew 22: 37-39

T
T
I'm new to this site, I'm a trapper, first thing I see is people bashing others on other sites, wonder why they got kicked off and is this site one I want to be associated with, some one better come up with a good reason or I'm gone.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Trapperman7160
I'm new to this site, I'm a trapper, first thing I see is people bashing others on other sites, wonder why they got kicked off and is this site one I want to be associated with, some one better come up with a good reason or I'm gone.

Paul?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Bye.

Eat moose, burn spruce
IC B3

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Do any of you guys use the disposable stakes,rebar, or do you use the ones like the Wolf Fang earth anchors? I was used to using rebar stakes, but I'm interested in the others.

If you use the Wolf type, do you just use a trowel and dig them up, or is there some other trick to it?

I'm making my order now from FNT so just trying to get all this finished up.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I use the steel anchors that look like a big hollow bullet, carry a pick with me when its time to pull the sets and dig them up, done care much for the cable anchors. can use them over and over and they are always attached to the trap, unlike rebar stakes.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Oklahomahunter
Do any of you guys use the disposable stakes,rebar, or do you use the ones like the Wolf Fang earth anchors? I was used to using rebar stakes, but I'm interested in the others.

If you use the Wolf type, do you just use a trowel and dig them up, or is there some other trick to it?

I'm making my order now from FNT so just trying to get all this finished up.

I use super stakes with a retriever cable.
They're great as long as your soil will hold them and isn't so rocky you can't drive them in.
[Linked Image]

I made a puller but some guys just use a pick axe.
[Linked Image]

The handle extends for more leverage or I can remove it and slide it through the base if it tries to sink in softer dirt.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
As far as coil or longspring, I prefer coilspring traps. It's much easier to hide a coil spring and there is less trap for the animal to step on and potentially get the trap to rock. That said, longsprings will take just as much fur if you learn to bed them properly.

I like to use 24" re-bar stakes. They hold well for me and they are easy to get out of frozen ground with a stake puller.

Trapperman is the largest collection of toothless morons on the internet. The approach to preserving the future of trapping that is pushed on this site is to hide what they do. Dobbins is the chief hider of the group and runs his website as he sees fit. I have no time for dealing with know-nothing bliss ninnies and 12 year old kids posing as adults so I stay away from Trapperman. It's too bad that it's so poorly run, because there are a handful of guys on that site that have a wealth of information.

T
T
I came to this site on 12-13, first thing I see is a certain type of people bashing a personal friend, yes I am personal friends with Paul Dobbins, I have manned his booth for him at the nationals, he and his dad have been friends for some years, I can tell why some people have been kicked off T-man, how do I judge this site since I am new here and see that the administrators let people comment this way here , let see how they treat people that are discourteous to others, maybe I will check back in a couple weeks.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I came to this site on 12-13, first thing I see is a certain type of people bashing a personal friend, yes I am personal friends with Paul Dobbins, I have manned his booth for him at the nationals, he and his dad have been friends for some years, I can tell why some people have been kicked off T-man, how do I judge this site since I am new here and see that the administrators let people comment this way here , let see how they treat people that are discourteous to others, maybe I will check back in a couple weeks.

Sounds like the chat nazi. Funny you should ask about people being discourteous towards other on this site, considering that Tman is full of them. I met Charlie and he was far and away a better person than his son will ever be. Am I biased? Possibly, but I am speaking from my own personal experience. I got booted off tman for questioning one of the admins use of the chat room as his own personal sales room since he ran a trapping supply company.

T
T
I hate to do this , but I'm dropping this site, now I know where all the unhappy trappers that can't get along with anyone go to, hope the administrators here can clean up the act here, it won't last long, I had my trouble at T-man, but I grew up and found out not all trappers are the same and people are all different, grow up or life is always going to be hard on you and friends hard to come by

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
GFY

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I hate to do this , but I'm dropping this site, now I know where all the unhappy trappers that can't get along with anyone go to, hope the administrators here can clean up the act here, it won't last long, I had my trouble at T-man, but I grew up and found out not all trappers are the same and people are all different, grow up or life is always going to be hard on you and friends hard to come by

Boy do you ever have sand in your vagina. See ya!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ha! Good riddance!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

572 members (007FJ, 1eyedmule, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 52 invisible), 2,678 guests, and 1,256 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,565
Posts18,453,783
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.