Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
I
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I
I've been reading about using 45 caliber bullets, with a 50 caliber sabot, as opposed to buying the standard muzzleloading bullets at the store. The main reason being a better selection of bullets, and cost. What do you guys do?

You've got to hand it to a blind prostitute
GB1

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
MMP makes 50cal sabots for both 44cal (0.429) and 45 cal. I haven't used them

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I tried some but did not have much luck with the accuracy. I switched to Barnes expander and they were awesome in the accuracy department. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
I
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I
This is one of the articles I was reading, the other one was in American Rifleman.

Sabots

Because of the similar velocities generated by conventional handguns and muzzleloaders, it didn't take long for muzzleloading enthusiasts to realize the dramatic potential of jacketed pistol bullets as muzzleloading projectiles. Jacketed pistol bullets of .44 and .45 caliber when enclosed in .50 or .54 caliber plastic sabots, retain energy almost as well as conicals, do not exhibit nearly the recoil levels of heavy projectiles, and normally produce flatter trajectories.

Sabots are also highly forgiving of bore size and variances between rifle brands or individual rifles of the same brand. A good sabot can help an average rifle shoot tighter groups over longer distances. Sabots are also more flexible for hunting everything from rabbits and varmints, to deer, and even elk sized game. A .44 or .45 caliber pistol bullet, however, cannot deliver the kind of shock effect or wound channels associated with heavy conicals. Still, for most muzzleloading situations a sabot provides good performance.

TIP: When working up sabot loads, don't forget to examine the fired plastic sabot itself. It should be intact and the petals blossomed. If it is unusually distorted you either need to back off on your propellant charge or obtain more substantial sabots that are designed for heavier loads.

Solid performance can be gained from Hornady's XTP (Extreme Terminal Performance) bullet in a wide variety of guns for a number of roles. I have used XTP's in 180-grain configuration for coyotes and long range varminting, 220 and 240 grain for American pronghorn hunting, 260 and 300 grain for whitetail and mule deer. The 300-grain XTP is accurate, possesses superior expansion and penetration characteristics, and is highly versatile in a variety of guns.

When Thompson/Center had to develop a new sabot to stand up under the pressures created by the Magnum muzzleloader loads of 150 grains of propellant it chose the XTP as the bullet for its new Mag Express Sabots. Mag Express Sabots have longer petals and a deeper cup than standard to help meet the increased pressures generated by Magnum loads. The XTP is also marketed in T/C's Break-O-Way sabots. Break-O-Way sabots have a three piece design encompassing two sabot "halves" locked in place by a woven wool "doughnut" pre-lubed with Natural Lube 1000 + Bore Butter, inducing an almost instantaneous separation of the sabot from the bullet for superior accuracy.

Swift Bullet Company is packaging its highly regarded A-frame bullet in new A-Frame Black Powder Sabots for .50 and .54 caliber muzzleloaders. Super Glide sabots are featured in 240 and 300 grain .44 caliber hollow point A-Frame bullets for .50 caliber and 265 and 325 grain hollow points for .54 caliber muzzleloaders. Swift bullets are famous for deep penetration, reliable expansion and superior weight retention.

The Nosler Partition is considered one of the bullets of choice for big game hunting around the world. It features a soft lead core divided into two sections surrounded by a thin fully tapered metal jacket for controlled expansion, superior mushrooming, and weight retention. A 240-grain Nosler Partition provided superior accuracy in recent tests of an Austin & Halleck rifle producing 1 3/4-inch groups at 100 yards from a bench rest.

Several firms market the Barnes X-Bullet. The X-Bullet is an all copper hollow point offering superior penetration and excellent shock/energy transfer at velocities as low as 1000 fps. It is available in 250 and 300 grains for .50 caliber and 275 and 325 grains for .54 caliber rifles. Many hunters believe the Barnes bullet to be a good sabot round for deer, elk, and bear hunting.

Newer rounds to enter the sabot market are the Polycarbonate Tipped bullets such as the Thompson/Center PTX Bullet and the Traditions Silver Lightning. The Polycarbonate tip improves ballistic coefficient and prevents deformation during loading. A tapered jacket with 8 serrations vents bullet deformation for fast expansion on initial contact. The Polycarbonate post continues expansion in the lead core as the bullet drives deeper. The core and jacket are interlocked to prevent separation. This bullet is also recommended for Magnum muzzleloading loads for penetration and controlled expansion at higher velocities.

Muzzleloading with black powder or Pyrodex is a low velocity undertaking because of the relatively low energy generated by these propellants. Muzzleloading enthusiasts should always be wary of ultra-high velocity loads or penetration bullet claims.

A summary of performance expectations for all of these projectiles is that for most large game muzzleloading situations at ranges out to 150 yards, a hunter can expect the best overall bullet expansion performance and energy retention from swaged lead conicals and sabots. Jacketed pistol sabots (240 to 300 grains) will serve for lighter game up to mule deer and elk size at ranges out to 120 yards. Round balls in .50 and .54 caliber are good deer sized game performers out to 70 or 80 yards. For larger game consider .58 caliber or larger round balls out to 70 yards. For potentially dangerous game, go for heavy conicals in weights above 485 grains. Staying within these limits and ranges insures a solidly performing muzzleloading rifle capable of confidently taking any big game animal in the world.

Like anything else I guess I'll have to try them out on my own, and see what works best.

You've got to hand it to a blind prostitute
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Yep, Hornady XTP's in my .50 cal. Triumph. Good accuracy and they work great on deer.

IC B2

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
250 grain XTP's (non-mag)over 100 grains of BH 209 = Whitetail medicine!!!

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
.452 diameter Hornady 300 XTP in a Harvester Crushrib sabot over 100 grains of BH209 ignited by CCI 209M is easily effective to 150 yds. and beyond. Lethal on Tennessee whitetails.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I just started experimenting with handgun bullets. I wanted one that would work on elk. I see no reason to spend over a $1 per shot. Last weekend I shot a excellent group with a 300gr SPeer Deep Curl .452 and a Harvester .50 sabot.

J
J
I just cast some 325gr. bullets from a Lyman mold intended for the .454 Casull and intend to try them in Harvester Crush Rib sabots in a Remington 700. Also intend to try a .458 diameter 300 gr. hollow point with those sabots. Never could get decent groups using a .44 bullet and a sabot. Have a Lyman Plains bullet mold as a standby in case my experiments fail. The Plains bullet will shoot through a whitetail from the chest to the butt, and shoot a decent group as well.

"If it ain't cooked in bacon grease it ain't worth eatin'"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
45 grains of 4227, CCI209, MMP black sabot, and the 250gr .452 XTP has never failed me and kills like lightning. My Savage has never shot anything else.

I don't drink or Smoke. I spend my money on gunpowder and gasoline.
IC B3

J
J
I have used XTPs with good results on whitetail

R
R
+1 to dmsbandit (I use the same load except for Win209's instead of he CCIs). Took 4 deer last year, and all dropped in sight.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
yep the hornady xtps are great .452 300 gr. or 250 gr. works great shoots great

B
B
I use the 260 grain .452 Nosler Partition HG slug over 80 grains of Triple-F. I've lost count of the number of deer that load has dropped, everyone a complete pass through. Two holes make for quick and easy tracking. The Nosler expands reliably and trucks through anything.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
.452 Nosler Partitions aren't made anymore...... right?

I
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I
I use 240 gr Remington JHP in my Encore 50 cal. with a green sabot. It shoots as good as I can with open sights. I shot one deer with it , a little spike. Shot was a bit behing the shoulders and low , through the heart. Deer went 70 yds? They were about .10 cents each when I bought 1,000 from Midway.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Have killed 40 or more whitetails with the 240 gr. xtp w/green sabot, excellent bullet...killed 3 with the 300 gr. xtp, also excellent results.

Making black powder smoke is a great thing..
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by dbowling
Have killed 40 or more whitetails with the 240 gr. xtp w/green sabot, excellent bullet...killed 3 with the 300 gr. xtp, also excellent results.

the former was a standard load forever, and the later gained a great rep as well. 80-100 grains was the norm back when pyrodex was popular.

A mountain of deer have fallen to it.

I plan on giving the .40 200 (210?) grain xtp's a try this january for no other reason than to try it out.

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've killed herds of deer with 80 grs of Pyrodex or 777, and a 300 gr Hornady 44 cal XTP

I've only recovered one bullet that penetrated nearly three feet lengthwise through a buck, and stopped under the hide

He was 50-60 yds out, and the MV was around 1600 FPS

One shot, one kill........ It saves a lot of ammo!
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
.452 300xtp with 42.5 gr of Imr 4198 in a savage smokeless ml. Mmp short sabot. Shoots unbelievable in the 2 that I own. shoots pistol bullets better than bullets designed for a ml. Go figure.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

583 members (22kHornet, 1minute, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 204guy, 60 invisible), 3,222 guests, and 1,200 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,532
Posts18,452,941
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.