Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RichardAustin
Once again thank you Sir. Given the considerable effort you put in evaluating scopes, your opinion is highly valued.

Pappy, I have a laptop, HP, with the most recent Windows program. It gives me fits on here, freezes, closes, takes forever to load ads. PITA.

I thought it might be the iPad iOS.

I've taken to writing most posts offline, then copy and pasting. Must be the website software.

What fresh Hell is this?
GB1

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by FOsteology

How about regular/typical low magnification variable hunting scopes (1.1-4, 1.25-4, 1-6, 1.5-6, etc.)? Just don't see myself putting one of the above tacticool scopes on any of my DGR's to hunt Africa...

NF 1-4x
S&B 1.1-4x Shortdot
SWFA SS 1-4x and 1-6x HD's
Bushnell 1-6.5x
Vortex 1-6x HD II

I haven't used the Bushnell Tactical 1-6.5x on big rounds, I have the others and they are made for it.

The Nightforce 1-4x and S&B Shortdot's are probably the best bet for DGR's for most. Just due to most wanting and traditional reticle. The Vortex Razor 1-6x MRAD is most like a duplex and would be a great choice, though is relatively heavy.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Once again you make it painfully obvious to all that you don't know what a "regular typical hunting scope" is.

If it ain't tacticool, it ain't good. Right?

The man specifically asked for a hunting scope. And yet you offer none.

You youngsters crack me up.

There are more Leupold 1.5-5x20s on DGRs than every scope you list, combined. And always will be.....

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Actually it seemed like he was asking about scopes that work, that were appropriate for DGR's. However, I wouldn't say the average hunter that pays someone to hunt an animal is the barometer of much of anything with regards to the rifle, as very few actually shoot. Those same hunters just love Vortex scopes as well....

You think I haven't shot 1.5-5x Leupolds? You think there is something that makes that scope better then the rest of Leupolds scopes? It'd be a safe bet that I've seen more 1.5-5x20mm Leupolds go down in a single week than you've seen in your life. And if 5.56's can make them fail.... You're right, 375's, 416's, and 458's must be easier on scopes than varmint rounds..... Give or take.

Glad you acknowledge that "regular typical hunting scope"s are garbage on the average.

Ps. If you do pay to hunt and you do shoot awesome. The above wasn't meant for you.

Last edited by Formidilosus; 01/03/15.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
There may or may not be useful information within these threads regarding the site's stability, if you can stay on long enough to read 'em... Good luck.
http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/9460169/1
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...ck_please_fix_the_out_of_con#Post9459227
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...es_the_ad_column_on_the_righ#Post9454234
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...Browser_issues_with_the_fire#Post9467416
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth.../One_way_to_fix_the_ad_issue#Post9452011
http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/9449773/New_Ads_SUCK#Post9449773

Originally Posted by Pappy348
Originally Posted by RichardAustin
Once again thank you Sir. Given the considerable effort you put in evaluating scopes, your opinion is highly valued.

Pappy, I have a laptop, HP, with the most recent Windows program. It gives me fits on here, freezes, closes, takes forever to load ads. PITA.

I thought it might be the iPad iOS.

I've taken to writing most posts offline, then copy and pasting. Must be the website software.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yes, I bet LOTS of the scopes you listed are HIGHLY popular on DGRs in Africa.... crazy

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
And that would mean what? When that same scope won't last on a 223, we should trust it for hunting lions, tigers, and bears... oh my?

People use it because they don't know better. For a long time it was the best that was available. Not anymore. Not even close.

Maybe one day hunters will wake up and realize that mechanical function is the first thing to worry about and hold manufacturers accountable. Then we may get scopes that weigh 13oz and actually work. Until then I'll take scopes that hold zero.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Can't believe I'm siding with 2muchgun. I need Advil.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D'arcy Echols and David Miller must not know jack $hit of DGRs or those Leupolds they mount on those $35,000 rifles they build.

You should give them a call and instill your infinite wisdom upon them. Don't forget to tell them how old you are and how many 223s tear up those 1.5-5Xs.

Tape it if you would. I can always use a good laugh....

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Whatever floats your boat. They only two I've mounted on a 375 H&H and a 416R, broke in less than 50 rounds. They had virtually the same failure rate with the same problems when they were an issued optic, as every other Leupold hunting scope that's marketed as a tactical optic.

That scope along with the CQT is why the Shortdot even exists. Leupold refused to fix them so that they worked, among other issues.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It is truly amazing how every Leupold you see fails, yet of the vast amount of them I own/shoot, none fail.

I currently have 2 of said Leupolds. My 2 good buds have 2 more. Between the 4 scopes they have taken everything a 444, 450, 375, 35 Whelen can dish out. No bullets under 250 gr. in any gun ever. The same guns have broken 3 Burris, and 2 Bushnell scopes.....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Formidilosus
That scope along with the CQT is why the Shortdot even exists.

This is exactly my point. The SD is a CQT scope. NOT a hunting scope, and certainly not a "regular typical hunting scope" as the OP requested.

Another really good DGR scope that is very popular and seems to be gaining popularity every day from what I can tell, is the Trijicon Accupoint 1-4x24 with amber or red triangle. We have 3 Trijicons between us, and they work well. They are a local company and I have shot with a few of their employees.

I'd not hesitate to use a newer 3X or other fixed Leupold. And the Weaver Grand Slam would be worth a look as well. I have beaten the tar out of some Weavers. The GS has micro-trac, and that is a good thing. It has stood up well on a bud's custom 375 H&H that we dropped off at Karl's house........

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I got a kick out of the Nightforce 1-4 recommendation. Absolute schit reticle choices for a DGR. That IHR could get a guy killed.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Vortex Viper HS Tactical 5-15x44 off to Fleabay...

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It is not a reticle I would want for hunting dangerous game.....

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Nor I.

Great scopes, but their reticle choices leave a lot to be desired.

I'd just go with a Leupold 3x or 2.5x and call it good.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
The Shortdot is an evolution of their 1.1-4x "dangerous game scope", it WAS made for hunting.

I suppose you think that the Trijicon 1-4x was made for hunting? Or should I say game hunting... It was designed for the same general purpose as the Shortdot. But hey, scopes designed for one thing can't possibly be used for another.

The IHR is a crap reticle. They have others.

Since PG and 2MG want to talk about it,

Could you two regale us with all of your dangerous game exploits?

You'd be hard pressed to find me guessing about something, so I can only believe that y'all have killed goodly amounts of lions, elephants, Cape buffalo, brown bears, Etc. and have found certain reticles and scopes lacking in that regard?

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Oh so you have lots of dangerous game experience? Was that before or after your Bear Grylls inspired elk hunting trip?

Pretty tough to take anybody who bragged about a cluster [bleep] like that seriously when it comes to their advice on anything regarding hunting.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
I'm sorry that you feel so inadequate that you need to talk about a single trip of mine more than you do your own, but do you or do you not have experience killing lions, brown bears, elephants, etc?

I didn't bring it up, I answered a question.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
As for my dangerous game experience? None with the animals you mentioned. But I sure as hell am going to take the advice of what actual PHs and guys like Phil Shoemaker use instead of some tactical yahoo on the internet who won�t post up his qualifications.

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

660 members (1beaver_shooter, 1eyedmule, 1minute, 10ring1, 1lessdog, 1234, 58 invisible), 2,964 guests, and 1,342 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,697
Posts18,456,685
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.