Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by GeorgiaBoy
Hunting 60,000 acres of public land is not the norm in my neck of the woods. With what acreage leases for around here, leasing 1,000 acres is a BIG investment.
If a guy leases 500 acres beside me and chooses to dog hunt, it would be best for all parties involved for the dog hunter to contact me before he casts his dogs.
If the ajoinng properties do not want dogs coming onto property they paid money to lease, then it is the dog hunter's responsibility...not the dog...to see that does not happen. If he can not control his dogs, he had best not cast them.

I know hog and coon hunters who do this and problems are avoided.

500 acres is not enough room to dog hunt. I wouldn't turn out a dog without at least a couple thousand. It is the owners responsibility to keep his dogs on the land they have permission to hunt. At some point one will get by. That's when the doghinter should be apologetic, and the stillhunter should be understanding.

In Fl, most dog leases are 30,000-100,000+ acres. Most public land allowing dogs is 30,000 to, in at least 1 case, close to a million acres.

Not saying coon and hog hunters have problems keeping their dogs on their poperty, but deer don't tree or stop to be bayed. And hog and coon hunters hunt at night, when deer hunters are in bed asleep.

GB1

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
One of the big timber companies here in La is cracking down on dog hunting. In many parishes, this is the last year for dog hunting on their land. I feel other companies will follow suit.

Constant complaints from private land owners is what led to the decision.

Some of my family are in the areas affected. Even though many are in purely dog leases, most agree it will lead to better hunting. A prime example is a 9,500 acre lease my inlaws are members of. The lease is primarily for dog hunting, very little still hunting takes place. They get quite a few really nice mature deer on game cams, yet they hardly ever kill them with hounds. I personally feel when they are forced to still hunting only, they will finally start tagging some of their older deer as dog season opens when the rut starts in their area.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Hog or coon hunters had best not let their dogs run on property that they do not have permission to roam regardless of when or if deer hunters are asleep. I savvy the rest of your post.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F

Shooting a deer on a flat out run in front of forty hounds is definitely fun. I love watching them roll up! Where it gets fun is trying to find the appropriate lead with a rifle a 150-200yds out. You guys don't know what you're missing! Come tag along!

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Hog or coon hunters had best not let their dogs run on property that they do not have permission to roam regardless of when or if deer hunters are asleep. I savvy the rest of your post.

I'm not saying they don't get off of property where they have permission, or that they do. I'm just saying that if they do, it usually goes unnoticed.

IC B2

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by fldoghunter

I'm not saying they don't get off of property where they have permission, or that they do. I'm just saying that if they do, it usually goes unnoticed.

Few things go unnoticed on a relatively small deer lease. I've had enough of my "secret" stands found and hunted in to know that.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
YES it's extremely aggravating to have unwanted dogs and hunters trespassing on your property no question about it, but it's not an end all to deer hunting

Being a hunting dog owner (coonhounds, beagles & pointing breeds) for close to 40 years I can state in all honesty that hunting BROKE dogs on a piece of property has little to no effect on deer UNLESS they are repeatedly chased and harassed, and even them most deer will become nocturnal before completely leaving a home area.

I've coonhunted property (with permission) at night and have stand hunted and shot deer the very next morning - MORE THAN ONCE I might add.

I belonged to a Beagle club who's training and field trial grounds is on a 1200 acre state owned property that is INFESTED with deer. I've seen Beagles run rabbits within yards of bedded deer and they don't even get up out of their beds.

I have a buddy who owns a boarding kennel with 8 outside kennel runs. There is a foot wide 4" deep deer path within 15 feet of the end kennel.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Kill, kill, kill all god damn dogs on sight. White trash hog hunters run dogs who turn them loose on county roads and use them to TRESPASS. I like to kill hogs too, but I do it on my own property. For some reason dog hunters don't seem to understand that when their dog crosses our fence they are trespassing.

They finally changed the law last year to make dog "retrieval" trespassing. Now we just kill them and laugh. Any dog on our land is by definition running our livestock.

Conrad101st
1/503 Inf., 2nd ID (90-91)
3/327 Inf., 101st ABN (91-92)
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Most States in the north do not allow hunting deer with dogs and a dog spotted chasing deer is almost certainly going to be shot.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
[quote=conrad101st]Kill, kill, kill all god damn dogs on sight. White trash hog hunters run dogs who turn them loose on county roads and use them to TRESPASS.]

Kind of like popping a kid's balloon blocking your view at a ball game. Confront the parent, not the kid. Shooting someone's dog, regardless of how poorly that someone takes care of the dog, seems weird to me.

Please take this with a grain of salt, as I'm from Ohio where other than the occasional feral dog we don't have this issue.

Go Bearcats
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Youve never experienced some group of dickheads intentionally running their dogs thru your hunting land, so you dont know how pissed off you can get.

There is no way to coexist no matter how many bumper stickers there are on Subaru bumpers!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Youve never experienced some group of dickheads intentionally running their dogs thru your hunting land, so you dont know how pissed off you can get.

That's no excuse to act like a bigger dickhead by shooting the dog that knows no better

One shot, one kill........ It saves a lot of ammo!
P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Hawk_Driver

^^This +1 I don't shoot the dogs, but it is incredibly frustrating.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
If I ever experience being "pissed off" enough to kill someone's dog that isn't putting me or my family in imminent danger and merely inconveniencing my hobby, I'll look for new hobbies. Anger is an emotion that should not dictate the pull of a trigger.

Feral dogs are one thing, but a man's property is another.

Go Bearcats
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Snyper

That's no excuse to act like a bigger dickhead by shooting the dog that knows no better

I never shot any of the offending dogs, so lighten up Francis.

After talking to the Game Warden, there was nothing we could do.

The guys on our lease realized that the dog hunters were a bunch of azzhats, and we left it at that.

There is no way to coexist no matter how many bumper stickers there are on Subaru bumpers!

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Obviously, running dogs to hunt deer raises a lot of passions. I have seen the good & the bad. When I first stated hunting in Southern Virginia in the early 60's there were few deer & using dogs was about the only way for a club to shoot even a few deer for the short 2 week season. Never were dogs put on private property on purpose & seldom was non club property invaded. Later I joined a large club with over 12,000 acres & again private property was never invaded by the dogs. A core area(3000 acres) in the center of the property was not hunted until the last week of the season. This allowed many deer & especially big bucks to have a sanctuary. Deer were hunted from stands during the week & I believe having a sanctuary allowed nearly natural deer movements. Now the ugly. I began to trophy hunt on large well managed properties on the Virginia & North Carolina border & in North Carolina. Locals ran dogs any where they pleased & no trespassing signs meant nothing. A standard comment was "My daddy & granddaddy hunted this property & by God I will too". On those rare occasions when a warden responded no action was ever taken. Groups of dogs & hunters crossing club property definitely destroyed any still hunting opportunities that day. A large farmer in NC got tired of having his roads destroyed & property trespassed on so with his farm cooperative almost succeeded in having dog hunted banned in his county. His farm equipment was shot up, glass put in drive ways & steel stakes driven into his fields. Again, nothing was ever done by local authorities. I have a lake cottage in NC & locals release dogs on right of ways where posted signs exist regularly. I have seen hunters sitting in lawn chairs in the middle of rural highways with their rifles & a beer. One local hunter that runs dogs told me a big buck was on a given property that was posted & he was damn well hunting him with his rifle during bow season. He explained that if he didn't some of his friends would. Unfortunately, many rogue hunters use dogs to push deer on private property as only one way to violate game laws. If dog hunted was outlawed they would still trespass, hunt at night, use guns during bow season, & shoot over their limit. Dog hunting on private property is only a part of illegal hunting activities.

Life Members SCI & NRA. NRA Instructor & RSO. What have YOU done to support hunting & gun rights?
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by CreekChub
If I ever experience being "pissed off" enough to kill someone's dog that isn't putting me or my family in imminent danger and merely inconveniencing my hobby, I'll look for new hobbies. Anger is an emotion that should not dictate the pull of a trigger.

Feral dogs are one thing, but a man's property is another.

And that other man should mind his property. A dog is just that, a dog. Not a person. A phoucing dog.

MAGA
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Landowners have always told me to shoot dogs if they see them chasing deer. Or cattle. Or anything else.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I never shot any of the offending dogs, so lighten up Francis.

I never said you did
What I said remains true

One shot, one kill........ It saves a lot of ammo!
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
So, your name is Francis?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

117 members (6mmCreedmoor, 300_savage, 1_deuce, 257wthbylover, 5sdad, 16 invisible), 1,597 guests, and 933 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,513
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.