Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
EricM Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thank you all. I'm glad I shared this with you. It's a cool and unique rifle, and the history/character is part of what makes these rifles special.

Rickyb - The Latigo slings are great, and classic. There are plenty of videos on youtube on how to use them properly. Check it out! smile

Reelman - Good question on whether this is the rifle depicted on the cover of The Rifleman's Rifle. I can check. I expect it is a stock M70 illustration but it would be extra cool if they intended to depict this rifle.

Winpoor - The SG NM was one that I had, but got away. You live and learn, though. lol.

Cheers,
Eric

GB1

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
The rifle on the cover is #41837. Great story and great rifle. Congrats.

EricM Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks, hoogie. Good trivia! smile

I'm sure the cover rifle would be pretty collectable as well.

Eric

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I remember that the cover illustration had a note inside saying what particular rifle it was.

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Yep Hoogie is correct. It is written in the bible that the rifle is the authors favorite rifle, a .270WCF 41837.

Very nice rifle Eric. What a cool piece of History right there.

Do you think Mr. Rule will sell serial #2 if I ask him???

IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by EricM
Thank you all. I'm glad I shared this with you. It's a cool and unique rifle, and the history/character is part of what makes these rifles special.

Rickyb - The Latigo slings are great, and classic. There are plenty of videos on youtube on how to use them properly. Check it out! smile

Reelman - Good question on whether this is the rifle depicted on the cover of The Rifleman's Rifle. I can check. I expect it is a stock M70 illustration but it would be extra cool if they intended to depict this rifle.

Winpoor - The SG NM was one that I had, but got away. You live and learn, though. lol.

Cheers,
Eric

Getting rid of your SG NM was probably partly my fault. I apologize. If I remember correctly, you really didn't like hunting your SG that much (and I sure don't blame you), because it was too nice and a collectors piece. The '51 standard I sold to Eric shot as well as the NM, so he saw it as an opportunity to use and hunt the heck out of the "shooter". The way I see it, is if you aren't going to use them pass them along to someone that will.. Eric sold his beautiful SG NM to Hunthard and Hunthard sold it after owning it for a few months. I wonder where it is now??? Honestly, will the new owner of the SG NM sell it to winpoor? Please!! laugh . As for Eric's new rifle: I'm loving it buddy!! Thanks for sharing it with us.. Excellent story and it's cool that you've also got to know Mr. Rule as well. He sounds a lot like my friend Blackdog1 or BobinNH. You could sit with these guys and the conversations would be endless and you'd wonder where the time went.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Eric that's awesome!

Of course you ay know that Roger Rules 375 H&H built by Roger Farrell is listed on GI,right? whistle

Unless it has sold by now....

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
EricM Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Hornet, everything has a price. lol. wink

BSA, no need to apologize. I hunted the SG NM but it was so nice, it was hard not to worry about its condition. Ironically, I had the rifle bedded which probably created some loss of collector's value. Still, a very cool rifle. I sold it to Hunthard and he sold it to (I know I'm going to get this wrong) EXHILLBILLY or HILLBILLY something or other here on the Fire. I'll know it when I see it. Might be a good lead for Winpoor! laugh I am very glad that I bought your '51 (my favorite rifle) and am looking forward to getting the '59 338. You're definitely rounding out my collection of pre-64's!!

Bob, thanks!! And you are EVIL for mentioning the 375 H&H!! cry Roger told me the 375 sold but the buyer backed out before payment. That was the rifle we initially discussed but it was the '47 .270 WCF that held my eye. I believe the 375 is still available: http://www.gunsinternational.com/Ro...Roger-Ferrell-MINT.cfm?gun_id=100503635. You should get it! wink

Eric

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Nice rifle!!!

Had one like it that I bought in a gun shop 25 years ago. It was very nice like yours, had a Lyman Alaskan scope and was all original down to the hood, rear sight, sling swivels, and safety. 270 Win. too!!!

I sold it to help pay the bill for the birth of our first child 24 years ago! I would not trade that little girl for anything, but my how I wished I still had that rifle!. Those Transitions are my favorite variation... elegant, clean lines, and combining the best of Pre-war vs. Post-war M70's. I've also had a Transition in 30-06, almost bought a Hornet (but it had some pitting on the barrel), and I currently own a very original and clean 375 H&H. I must admit however that the 270 was my favorite!!!

Thanks for getting my heart rate up a little tonight!

PS- My sentiments are like many others here... I'd rather hunt with Featherweights, but given the chance to collect and just look at them, please pass the Transitions!!!

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Mr Eric, My wife had Mr Rules telephone number, she spoke with him twice as she gave me his book for Christmas 7 or 8 years ago. He has a gun I want in the worse way. If he is in a selling mood I will pay the price.... Please PM his contact number or email. I have to have the gun on page 281! very best WinPoor

Last edited by winchesterpoor; 01/05/15.
IC B3

EricM Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Winpoor, PM incoming. What's the gun on page 281? I don't have my Rule book with me.

Eric

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Special order Varminter in 257 Roberts.Of every gun in the book that has always been no.1 to me. Absolute top of the food chain. I have a very nice bass boat I only took out 5 or 6 times last summer. I will let her roll for that gun.... very best WinPoor

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Guys, my wife is gone now but I remember her telling me Mr Rule was one of the nicest men she had ever done biz with over the phone and she did a lot of big money biz with some high powered folks. He was at the airport boarding a plane for HI and called her back when he got there so he could write the info down. Book showed up in record time! I have used it more than any book I have ever owned! very best WinPoor

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Beautiful rifle Eric. That is the sorta rifle a guy would have a real hard time not using for everything! Great score buddy!

Sounds like it is a really nice shooter as well!

Semper Fi
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by stuvwxyz
What a great looking rifle. Low comb stocks are pure class. Earlier Winchesters had better quality wood than 50's models as all manufactures had difficulty finding good wood in the era. The fact it looks so good especially being stuck in a leather scabbard which are notorious bluing rubbers. My transitional model 30-06 I have used for 30 years sure doesn't look like that. Bluing is gone from my bolt handle and floor plate. The stock is void of finish in many spots, with the checkering worn flat. Lots of character. I threatened to tie my grandsons fingers in knots if they ever refinish this beauty.

But this one has been refinished?

Nice catch Eric. More of these need refurbished when it becomes needed. Oil finish? Was that the way W did it on the originals? I think Mr Rule not only used this rifle, but was willing to address needed issues. It didn't ride around in a scabbard many times and come out looking like it presently does.

Hope it brings you many memories of great hunts.

Last edited by battue; 01/05/15.

laissez les bons temps rouler
EricM Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
It has not been refinished. Roger Rule oiled up the original finish. The rifle is all original but for the Type III safety mod and the stock plug.

Roger Rule is a detail oriented guy, as you can tell by his book, and took extremely good care of his rifles. If you saw his gun collection you would see what I mean.

I'm looking forward to using it (carefully, of course...lol)! smile

Cheers,
Eric

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by aguyinAK
Man that is a super sweet rifle. Those EAW mounts are with out a doubt the best QD mounts I have ever used. I only have one rifle with those mounts due to the price, but man they are sweet. That is a amazing story and a beautiful rifle. Congratulations.

I agree.I have several sets of EAW. but only one set of their QD.

My L691 270wby..scope is in the mail again, on its annual trip back to Oregon whistle

[Linked Image]

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Hornet, everything has a price. lol. wink

BSA, no need to apologize. I hunted the SG NM but it was so nice, it was hard not to worry about its condition. Ironically, I had the rifle bedded which probably created some loss of collector's value. Still, a very cool rifle. I sold it to Hunthard and he sold it to (I know I'm going to get this wrong) EXHILLBILLY or HILLBILLY something or other here on the Fire. I'll know it when I see it. Might be a good lead for Winpoor! laugh I am very glad that I bought your '51 (my favorite rifle) and am looking forward to getting the '59 338. You're definitely rounding out my collection of pre-64's!!

Bob, thanks!! And you are EVIL for mentioning the 375 H&H!! cry Roger told me the 375 sold but the buyer backed out before payment. That was the rifle we initially discussed but it was the '47 .270 WCF that held my eye. I believe the 375 is still available: http://www.gunsinternational.com/Ro...Roger-Ferrell-MINT.cfm?gun_id=100503635. You should get it! wink

Eric

Bob's a sly devil for sure.... laugh

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
It has not been refinished. Roger Rule oiled up the original finish. The rifle is all original but for the Type III safety mod and the stock plug.

Roger Rule is a detail oriented guy, as you can tell by his book, and took extremely good care of his rifles. If you saw his gun collection you would see what I mean.

I'm looking forward to using it (carefully, of course...lol)! smile

Cheers,
Eric

Eric I'm glad you got a great rifle with history. However, if Mr Average owned that rifle there would be all original nit pickers picking. Just so you know, I'm not one of them. Just stating the obvious.

Was oil used on originals? No. The stock doesn't look original and they would be questioning the obvious. The stock was modified and they would be picking.

He obviously took care of this rifle and I admire him for doing so. More should think the same way.

Last edited by battue; 01/05/15.

laissez les bons temps rouler
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Honestly, it's hard to nit pick a rifle that belonged to Mr. Roger Rule himself. That in itself will make that rifle so valuable, that even a "NIB" model wouldn't touch it in value. That's pretty much it in a nutshell...

BSA MAGA
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

641 members (1234, 10gaugemag, 160user, 1lessdog, 007FJ, 1lesfox, 63 invisible), 2,792 guests, and 1,273 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,367
Posts18,469,093
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.